Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Tools    

Weird is relative.
Ok... so is everyone good for Samsara? If not I'll suggest something else.

Weird is relative.
Yeah, I just checked Netflix and nothing is on there (except for Age of Shadows which I already viewed). I'll be resorting to my local public library, if I can't find everything there I'll ask if anyone has links.

I'm growing quite envious of all you people with cool local libraries. A number of people always seem to find nominations at a nearby library.

Meanwhile, we barely have libraries with books, let alone ones that rent movies.
I'm not joking.

I've seen 7, not 8. I'll think about what I need to see again.

The Sword of Doom is my nomination. I seem to recall putting it on my watchlist because it was either Loner's favorite movie, or his top movie for the 60's countdown. I'm not really sure. It's the second time I've nominated a movie co-starring Toshiro Mifune and Tatsuya Nakadai. The other was Samurai Rebellion which did very well, and I think this will do quite well also. This movie has more action, but there's more to it than that.

I quite like Pan's Labyrinth for a fantasy film, and I think that's because it's darker than the average fantasy. It is very well made and original.

I watched Umbrellas of Cherbourg after jj recommended it. Once the movie started, I swore thinking he had made a joke. It turned out to be one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen. A top 5 musical for me, and I'd probably put it at #3 behind The Blues Brothers and The Wizard of Oz.

The Leopard is on Ebert's great movies list. Some will love it and some will hate it. It is very epic and regal with a great cast and attention to detail. My problem is that I usually struggle with period pieces. This is a 3 hour movie, and unfortunately it was one of the toughest watches of my life. I just never became interested, not unusual for me with this type of movie.

Millennium Actress is a fantastic animated film. I believe the director only made 4. I've seen the 4 and they're all very good. Great story and animation, it's an easy watch.

La Haine is a popular movie that I was very excited to see. I didn't dislike it but I was disappointed. Vincent Cassel is a compelling actor to watch, but I found the majority of characters to be annoying. It does have some intensity.

I definitely need to watch The Exterminating Angel again because it's been a while. I've had good luck with director Luis Bunuel, although I'm not generally a fan of surrealism. I remember enjoying this movie moderately and finding it interesting, but it's also a movie that I've been planning on revisiting as I now have more experience with these types of films.

As far as the other nominations, I already had Benny's Video on my watchlist, probably bad news for its chances. I don't know much about the rest.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, I just checked Netflix and nothing is on there (except for Age of Shadows which I already viewed). I'll be resorting to my local public library, if I can't find everything there I'll ask if anyone has links.
Assassination is ALSO on Netflix as well. One of the reasons I went with it was it's easy availibility

Now that I've had a chance to research these noms I must say I'm pretty excited to get the ball rolling on this one.

The Exterminating Angel (1962) Director: Luis Buñuel Nominated By: jiraffejustin Have not heard of this surrealist film but the concept definitely has my attention. Found it at my library.

The Leopard (1963) Directed By: Luchino Visconti Nominated By: Ultraviolence Always amazed by the films Ultraviolence watches and actually expected an Asian action film to be nominated by him, so to see something else has my interest.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) Director: Jacques Demy Nominated By: Citizen Rules sounds like a film I'd enjoy and even MORE intrigued seeing that cricket (not a musical fan) really enjoyed it. Another one I'll be getting from my library.

The Saragossa Manuscript (1965) Directed By: Wojciech Jerzy Has Nominated By: Nemanja Haven't heard of this one.

The Sword of Doom (1966) Directed By: Kihachi Okamoto Nomianted By: Cricket A violent samurai flick from cricket? Should be pretty intense! Found this at my library as well.

Benny's Video (1992) Director: Michael Haneke Nomainted By: Okay Haven't heard of this but sounds pretty wild

La Haine (1995) Director: Mathieu Kassovitz Nominated By: Nope1172 This has been on my radar since the 90's Countdown, so, pretty excited to finally see it.

Millennium Actress (2001) Directed By: Satoshi Kon Nominated By: Pussy Galore This looks beautiful and with it being the same director as Paprika and Perfect Blue, should be pretty d@mn good

Samsara (2001) Directed By: Pan Nalin Nominated By: MijaFrost THANK YOU camo for finding a link to this!!

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) Directed By: Guillermo del Toro Nominated By: Luis LOOVE this movie. Huge fan of del Torro and can't wait to see it again

Entre Nos (2009) Directed By: Paola Mendoza, Gloria LaMorte Nominated By: ScarletLion found a copy of this at my library and it's brand new to me.

Borgman (2013) Directed By: Alex van Warmerdam Nominated By: CaptainT another unknown my library has

Phoenix (2014) Directed By: Christian Petzold Nominated By: CosmicRunaway always intrigued by movies that Cosmic nominates, and, having enjoyed Barbara so much, this should be a really great watch. Also found this at my library.

The Bélier Family (2014) Directed By: Eric LartigauNominated By: MovieMad16 this looks quite endearing.

Assassination (2015) Director: Choi Dong-hoon Nominated By: edarsenal This is on Netflix and is my second choice for this HoF, the first: A Bittersweet Life was one I had trouble finding a good link with subs so I went with this great lil action/espionage film from South Korea.

The Age of Shadows (2016) Directed By: Kim Jee-woon Nominated By: Thursday Next as I stated in the Last Movie Thread, I'm halfway through this great film. A fan of the actors and the director of this.
Pretty good chance I'll be knocking out these two Korean films first since I just finished a rewatch of mine a few days ago and should be finishing this in the next few days.

Thelma (2017) Directed By: Joachim Trier Nominated By: Siddon Another unknown from my library that sounds pretty wild. Very curious about this one.

Weird is relative.
@edarsenal: Oddly, Assassination isn't available in my area on Netflix, but I know where to find it, so it's all good.

@edarsenal: Oddly, Assassination isn't available in my area on Netflix, but I know where to find it, so it's all good.
That is good news that you can locate it. It's always a trick to, not only choose something you wish to share, but to also be sure that others can find it.

If you have any trouble with any others be sure to post and there are a number of great people here to assist.

And by the way, WELCOME to Hall of Fame, Mija

Weird is relative.
That is good news that you can locate it. It's always a trick to, not only choose something you wish to share, but to also be sure that others can find it.

If you have any trouble with any others be sure to post and there are a number of great people here to assist.

And by the way, WELCOME to Hall of Fame, Mija
Thank you!
And if anyone else does need help finding Assassination and Age of Shadows, just message me and I can direct you.