Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Very strange that I had never seen this 1984 movie. Really good. Miranda Richardson killed her rôle (literally). Rupert Everett very good too. Am going to watch it again.

WTF did i just watch. 2/10.

I heard the director say something to the effect that the dystopian collapse of the country was something that any country in the world could relate to. (Venezuela, e.g.) Personally, I felt no need for any exposition on that point.

Are you saying you did not know what was in the trunk? ...
To me it wasn't clear why the Pearce character was in such a state. Later, learning that he'd killed his wife & her lover didn't seem to explain his mind set. An explanation for the dystopia wasn't essential for the narrative, but it would have made more sense to me. I hadn't realized it was a straightforward economic global collapse.

No, I didn't realize what was in the trunk. I'd thought it was his sidekick (not taking into account what had happened with him). I kept thinking, "The body doesn't seem large enough."..

~Doc

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Angst (1983)

had heard a bit about this as a big influence on Gaspa Noe. I can see why, some of the camera techniques from "Seul contre tous", "Irreversible" and "Enter the void" seem lifted directly from this film. The film is about a recently released psychopath and mostly shot through his eyes/percection. The "workaday" nature of his mania makes it all the more chilling but I thought there were long parts of the film that were a bit indulgent. Interesting but not great watch 5/10.
I think it's better than anything by Noe.

The Snowman (2017)

No, I didn't realize what was in the trunk. I'd thought it was his sidekick (not taking into account what had happened with him). I kept thinking, "The body doesn't seem large enough.".
WARNING: spoilers below
It was his dead dog. (Remember how taken aback he was by the dogs in cages at the vet’s?) That was the reason he so desperately wanted his car back. His dead dog was in the trunk & he wanted to bury it, which he did in the closing scene.

Resident Evil: Vendetta - 7.25/10

I don't watch many of these animated series', but I've been keeping up with the Resident Evil ones. High energy, wasn't bored at all for the entire duration of this one and it's my second go of it. I wish the Silent Hill franchise had animated movies like this.

Welcome to the human race...
Hook -

so is this still the consensus pick for Spielberg's worst because if so the dude can seriously direct

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I think it's better than anything by Noe.
One of these rare occassions when we agree.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Angst (1983)

had heard a bit about this as a big influence on Gaspa Noe. I can see why, some of the camera techniques from "Seul contre tous", "Irreversible" and "Enter the void" seem lifted directly from this film. The film is about a recently released psychopath and mostly shot through his eyes/percection. The "workaday" nature of his mania makes it all the more chilling but I thought there were long parts of the film that were a bit indulgent. Interesting but not great watch 5/10.
I saw this recently for the first time. It blew me away. One of the best horror / chiller movies I've ever seen.

The director only made one film:

“I was cured, all right!”
@Ultraviolence Never ever been able to get through even 30 minutes of The Piano.
I have to admit it was very difficult to finish this movie... It's soooo boooring and nothing that happens it's interesting. I had big expectations...

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle

Great fun, really well done.. like has been mentioned it doesn't feel like this inhabits the same world as the original movie which is a lot darker imo this is more fluffy and pop culture.. in fact they might have called this film something entirely different and nobody would have grumbled..

Spy (Paul Feig, 2015)
+
Much of the humour is certainly well disguised

Pursuit (Paul Mercier, 2015)
+
Not really worth chasing this one down

Finally catching up on some movies from last year that I missed in theaters.

I enjoyed Thor Ragnarok far more than I thought I would. It seemed like Marvel went out on a limb letting Taika Waititi direct, but it really paid off. I thought it was a little too heavy on the comedy, but I think it fit the setting. I guess we'll have to wait until Avengers: Infinity War to see serious Thor.

RATING:

Darkest Hour should be re-titled OSCAR BAIT, but that doesn't make it any less good. I'm an avid cigar smoker, and seeing Oldman chew on those stogies got my craving going. I thought the film was a tad too hard on Chamberlain, but it was very well done.

RATING:

The greatest crime of Murder on the Orient Express is that it's the highest order of "meh." I would have way more respect for the film if it was an absolute disaster, or a crowning success. The fact that it was shot so well, had a solid cast, and can be this forgettable is regrettable.

RATING:

Hook -

so is this still the consensus pick for Spielberg's worst because if so the dude can seriously direct
I gotta go with The Lost World: Jurassic Park for Spielberg's worst, followed by Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I get, but at the same time, don't sort of get all the hate Hook gets (If that made sense).