Top 100 Movies

→ in
Tools    

Grave of the Firelies (1988)
I rarely watch animated movies, but I’ve seen this twice. The horrors of war no matter whose side one is on.

I personally dont think in terms of "art film" or "entertainment film", I separate movies into narrative movies, documentary movies and experimental movies, 2001 is a narrative movie with substantial doses of symbolism. It's not a different category from Star Wars for instance although its presentation is much more explicitly symbolic.

11. Only Yesterday (1991)

In my honest opinion this is Takahata's masterpiece. While it lacks the elegance and transcendental qualities of Kaguya and the dramatic weight of Grave of the Fireflies it's realistic slice of life makes it the most memorable and impacting film from Takahata's career.

10. Tokyo Story (1953)

When making this top 100 I was thinking about whether I should place Only Yesterday higher or lower than Tokyo Story and I decided Tokyo Story would be higher because it's more elegant than Only Yesterday. Although I like animation more than live action because it feels more "realistic", the sheer realism and humanism of the live action film Tokyo Story makes it a specially affecting movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
36. Barry Lyndon (1975)

Barry Lyndon is Kubrick at his most sarcastic: the film is pretty much a 3 hour long comedy on slow motion and it can even trick some unsuspecting viewers that it is a drama, I almost cried the first time I watched it in fact . Kubrick was a genius and perhaps the greatest Hollywood movie director ever and this is one of his top masterpieces.
Favorite comedic moments? I haven't saw this in a while, but I don't remember anything funny, but I could see someone finding irony or surprises that might seem funny - the homosexual Englishmen who "fights" for a woman when he wants a man in the water after he survives being shot

Favorite comedic moments? I haven't saw this in a while, but I don't remember anything funny, but I could see someone finding irony or surprises that might seem funny - the homosexual Englishmen who "fights" for a woman when he wants a man in the water after he survives being shot
To me it feels like a very sarcastic movie.

Kurosawa is the most universaly respected filmmaker and perhaps the most influential: about 90% of the movie tickets sold today over the world and specially in the US, South America, Europe, China and Japan are for movies that have been heavily influenced by Kurosawa. The same doesn't apply to other celebrated filmmakers like Kubrick and Hitchcock. That is, Kurosawa invented blockbuster movies and the modern action movie. Given the overwhelming popularity of the genres the developed plus his massive critical respect he can be regarded as the most celebrated filmmaker. It's basically the fusion of Kubrick, Welles and Spielberg.

about 90% of the movie tickets sold today over the world and specially in the US, South America, Europe, China and Japan are for movies that have been heavily influenced by Kurosawa.
I’m curious as to how you know this if it is, in fact, true.

I’m curious as to how you know this if it is, in fact, true.
Oh. That's because:

Star Wars is based on a Kurosawa movie and it heavily influenced pretty much all big blockbuster movies today. Also, modern westerners have been heavily influenced by Kurosawa's samurai movies and the whole spaghetti western genre was developed out of Kurosawa's Yojimbo. Besides, Ikiru is Spielberg's favorite movie, hence Spielberg was heavily influenced by Kurosawa, while Scorsese was also heavily influenced by Kurosawa and he even acted in one of Kurosawa's later movies. Also, the kings of European film, Bergman and Tarkovsky were big fans of Kurosawa's movies even his samurai action movies. While the king of animation, Miyazaki, claims that Kurosawa is his greatest influence in terms of direction. Miyazaki in turn has had enormous influence on modern Japanese, Chinese and Western animation. Hence, Kurosawa directly exerted enormous influence over the films made in US, Europe, Japan and China.

Also, when one does speak of great film makers, Kurosawa is always included. He is universally admired both by Japanese critics and Western critics and critics everywhere else. For instance, Iranian film critics when they made a list of top 10 best non-Iranian movies ever they obviously included a Kurosawa movie.Kurosawa was even named the Asian of the century in cultural fields: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_of_the_Century

Finally, Kurosawa is a director that achieved simultaneously popular and critical success, something that's extremely rare in any field and specially in film. His influence was enormous not only in film but many other artistic fields. For instance, many early manga artists were heavily influenced by Kurosawa's visual language. He was essentially a master in using images to tell stories and convey symbolic meaning and remains the gold standard by which conventional film is judged.

8. Gunbuster (1988-89)

I though long and hard where I would place Gunbuster. But I decided to place this masterpiece in the lower ranks of my top 10, while I considered it for 1st place I don't think it's that good. Although certainly a masterpiece and an important artistic milestone in adult animation.

I've never seen any of these movies

Oh. That's because:

Star Wars is based on a Kurosawa movie and it heavily influenced pretty much all big blockbuster movies today. Also, modern westerners have been heavily influenced by Kurosawa's samurai movies and the whole spaghetti western genre was developed out of Kurosawa's Yojimbo. Besides, Ikiru is Spielberg's favorite movie, hence Spielberg was heavily influenced by Kurosawa, while Scorsese was also heavily influenced by Kurosawa and he even acted in one of Kurosawa's later movies. Also, the kings of European film, Bergman and Tarkovsky were big fans of Kurosawa's movies even his samurai action movies. While the king of animation, Miyazaki, claims that Kurosawa is his greatest influence in terms of direction. Miyazaki in turn has had enormous influence on modern Japanese, Chinese and Western animation. Hence, Kurosawa directly exerted enormous influence over the films made in US, Europe, Japan and China.

Also, when one does speak of great film makers, Kurosawa is always included. He is universally admired both by Japanese critics and Western critics and critics everywhere else. For instance, Iranian film critics when they made a list of top 10 best non-Iranian movies ever they obviously included a Kurosawa movie.Kurosawa was even named the Asian of the century in cultural fields: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_of_the_Century

Finally, Kurosawa is a director that achieved simultaneously popular and critical success, something that's extremely rare in any field and specially in film. His influence was enormous not only in film but many other artistic fields. For instance, many early manga artists were heavily influenced by Kurosawa's visual language. He was essentially a master in using images to tell stories and convey symbolic meaning and remains the gold standard by which conventional film is judged.
Fair enough. Not sure I agree with you, but you make a very good case for your position.

7. Stalker (1979)

My favorite Tarkovsky movie and perhaps my favorite Western movie of all time. Truly monumental piece of super serious filmmaking. Tarkovsky does the cinematic equivalent of the Tolstoy epic novel in cinematic form.