Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hombre (1967)

I'd been craving a good western lately, so when I saw this nominated for the movie tournament I jumped at the chance. Paul Newman rejoining the director of the great HUD had me very hopeful. This is a revisionist western, something I read, not something I know the definition of. Newman plays a white man raised by Indians, something that does not make him very popular with his natural born peers. When he inherits a boarding house but is intent on selling it, he becomes even more unpopular. He is among a group of people taking a stagecoach out of town when it is robbed and a hostage is taken. Newman is good even if it's not one of his standout roles. Brilliant are Richard Boone as the villain and Diane Cilento as the woman who runs the boarding house. Fredric March and Martin Balsam also star.
Wonderful movie - LOVED the writing... Martin Ritt has made some really great movies.

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Instantly one of my favorite Marvel Universe movies. Despite there being dark elements to the story, this is really one of the more lighthearted of the comic book flicks. The script is one reason. The performances by Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, and Jeff Goldblum are another. From the first Thor film to this one (with Avengers films in-between), Hemsworth has really come a long way in his role as Thor. He just slides naturally back into the role with ease, and has a whimsical style all the way through, cracking jokes at exactly the wrong time like any good guy should to the baddie. For instance, when hanging from a chain over a lake of fire with giant underworld creature Surtur talking doom to him, Thor cannot help being silly while the chains slowly spin him around, away from the face of Surtur, so Thor humorously apologizes for his own rudeness while Surtur is trying to give this big, important speech. I loved that about this movie.

Everything is big, loud, and colorful. As anyone who's seen the previews from months and months back when this movie was at the cinemas, Thor faces off against the Hulk in an arena on a distant planet and there are lots of goodies for us to enjoy while he's there. There is a "B-Card" fighter made of rock named Korg who has lots of great lines and is a very amusing character despite his looks. Goldbum is the Grandmaster who holds fights in his arena, and as played by Jeff Goldbum, well, he's Jeff Goldblum, but he's a blast with his lightly-applied "space makeup," upswept graying hair, and usual halting Goldblum speech pattern. He steals pretty much every scene he's in. Tessa Thompson is beautiful and effective as Scrapper-142 who has another name that I won't give away here. And no Thor movie would be complete without Loki and Odin as played by Tom Hiddleston and Anthony Hopkins, respectively. Loki is not to be trusted as usual, and Odin adds help when it is most needed. Our star player Thor truly comes into his own here.

If you think I'd leave out the wonderful Cate Blanchett, you are so wrong. She is on hand as Thor's sister, Hela, and she is pure evil. She's decked out in a skin-hugging dark costume, with long black hair, and every time she gets ready to lay the smack down, she pulls her hair up into a crown of antler-like horns. She brings her dead army back to life along with her gigantic wolf, whose name is Fluffy, I think. I don't know. Anyway, there are surprises and cameos as per usual in Marvel movies. Plus, always look for at least a couple of extra scenes through or at the end of the credits. Already close to the top of my favorite comic book films and certainly the best Thor movie.

with that 2+ star rating, it makes me think that there's something smashing against the surface, wanting to get out. Something ambitious, or something worthy of a solid 3 star rating. So, what is it?
Don't let the '+' fool ya, just means it's a 4.5/10 for me rather than a straight 4 or 5 ... still a fair way from a 6. By all means give it a whirl if you fancy it though, maybe it'll resonate better with you than it did for me?

The Bad And The Beautiful (Vincente Minnelli, 1952)
+
Far more beautiful than bad

Battle of the Sexes (2017)

I can't help but compare this to the other sports biopic of last year, I, Tonya. That story is a little more outrageous while this story is more meaningful. I think the two movies are a reflection of their respective stories. This movie doesn't have the profane hilarity that I, Tonya has, but I think it may be a more sound all around movie. While this is a good movie, I didn't think there was anything great about it. Emma Stone and Steve Carell play the leads.

City Girl (F.W. Murnau, 1930)

In olden days a glimpse of stocking...

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
For instance, when hanging from a chain over a lake of fire with giant underworld creature Surtur talking doom to him, Thor cannot help being silly while the chains slowly spin him around, away from the face of Surtur, so Thor humorously apologizes for his own rudeness while Surtur is trying to give this big, important speech. I loved that about this movie.
I started to laugh in the cinema watching this scene and didn't stop during almost whole movie
...certainly the best Thor movie.
Oh, yes!

I noticed when Green Lantern was on this last week that Parallax was also voiced by Clancy Brown. So he's really the go-to actor for gigantic alien threats .

Turist [Force Majeure] (Robin Östlund, 2014)

You really wouldn't want to be in the room next door

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

It was wroth going to the cinema even in such a aweful weather.
I wouldn't say it's masterpiece, but it's got its charm. I like it, because of personal reasons. It remainded me some similar situations or rather emotions from my youth, so it was sentimental trip for me. It's good to know that girls in whole world (ok, almost) feel the same I think it's very womanly film (but I can be wrong).
Nostalgically saying: I feel lack of youthful unconcern.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It remainded me some similar situations or rather emotions from my youth
That is from Middle Ages?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Damn! This movie is terrific. Robert Pattinson & Guy Pearce absolutely killed it.

A Bittersweet Life (2005)

+

This had been on my watchlist for a while and I finally watched it for the movie tournament. The Koreans really know how to do it so my expectations were high. It was all kinds of awesome and it's too bad we can't get an action movie like this made in the States anymore. It's got the perfect blend of style and brutality, not overdone in either regard. It's a very compact 2 hours that flew by.