Gravity versus Interstellar

Tools    

Which is better---Gravity or Interstellar ??
63.04%
29 votes
Gravity
26.09%
12 votes
Interstellar
4.35%
2 votes
Both are equally good
6.52%
3 votes
Can't say
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

A system of cells interlinked
Gravity for me, even though I like both films quite a bit. The subtext of Gravity, about the unexpected and sudden loss of a family member and the subsequent struggle to continue forward after a loss of that magnitude, speaks to me more than the environmental dread and last ditch colonization missions of Interstellar. So, on a personal level, Gravity definitely resonates more with me.

That said, I like Interstellar quite a bit, as well. I understand the complaints people have about the film, be it with the overall characterizations or the last act going over the edge into fantasy. I found the film affecting and thought provoking on many levels. The term flawed masterpiece definitely fits here.

Anyway, I voted for Gravity.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Both are perfectible sci-fi yarns, but Gravity is superior in that it's a much more kinetic experience.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gravity was... just a series of near misses and close escapes. Reminded me of Emmerich's 2012: If something can go wrong, it will... and if nothing can go wrong, then we'll write something in, so it can go wrong.
Also, and this sounds horrible to say but, well, it's what I noticed... Sandra Bullock's paralysing plastic surgery took me completely out of the film.
Been seeing this a lot recently. Kidman in Australia, Zellweger in Appaloosa, Stallone in anything after the year 2000. When the actor or actress has had so much cosmetic surgery that they can't express any emotion, apart from dribbling on themselves (Mickey Rourke), it kills any credibility their character might have had on screen.

Interstellar is a clever piece of writing and a pretty solid twist at the end with the origins of the Tesseract, and then there's the realisation with Caine's character and his motives and that Damon's character was part of it who also turns out to be nuts.
I think it's the science behind Interstellar that got me. They use quantum physics to explain time-shifts and relativity... which makes the peril of the movie more exciting. The longer they take in certain situations, means that Earth could well have died decades or even centuries ago.
I agree that the love thing was odd though. And the choice of main theme was odd as well. That church organ was pretty jarring.
Interstellar for me.

A system of cells interlinked
Gravity was... just a series of near misses and close escapes. Reminded me of Emmerich's 2012: If something can go wrong, it will... and if nothing can go wrong, then we'll write something in, so it can go wrong.
Also, and this sounds horrible to say but, well, it's what I noticed... Sandra Bullock's paralysing plastic surgery took me completely out of the film.
Been seeing this a lot recently. Kidman in Australia, Zellweger in Appaloosa, Stallone in anything after the year 2000. When the actor or actress has had so much cosmetic surgery that they can't express any emotion, apart from dribbling on themselves (Mickey Rourke), it kills any credibility their character might have had on screen..
I hear what you are saying, but thematically, those near-misses are allegory for the situation she is in, in that she is floating in an abyss of despair, always just a tiny push away from becoming subsumed in her grief and finally succumbing to it forever. The text at the beginning of the film that states "Life in space is impossible" plays into this. Grief like this is damn near insuperable without a tremendous amount of effort and will to survive. I speak from experience.

I also like the reverse marketing of the original tag line for the film - Don't Let Go. The film is of course about the exact opposite.

Even though both are space odysseys I think we are comparing apples to oranges. Gravity os a small comfined story that just happens to take place in the vastness of space. Interstellar is a large sweeping, grand story. Gravity's story only has immediate implications for three people. Interstellar for all of known life. Gravity, while unrealistic, is still grounded in the universe we live in. Interstellar is science fiction.

All that being said I prefer Gravity by a long shot. I could understand people feeling the other way though. It is a much smaller, less complicated story.
Couldnt agree more with every word you wrote here. Gravity was a fun ride. Interstellar tried to be gigantic and scientific and philosophical all at the same time and just came out a confusing mess.

Gravity was a Hollywood pop corn flick, fun and buttery...but it left your feeling thirsty for something more substantial.

Interstellar was a quasi-existential film, that tried to be more and mostly succeed...but the demands of appeasing the masses required a dumbing down of the film with a pot-boiler inane fight scene and a 2001ish type ending.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched both Gravity and Interstellar in theaters. I watched Gravity with middling expectations, and I enjoyed it a fair bit. Meanwhile, Interstellar was a film I felt had been majorly overexposed through all its promotion, but I was still excited as a fan of Nolan. I also liked it a fair bit. In the end, I think that Gravity worked more as a cohesive film, but Interstellar had ultimately better ideas. In other words, one of them shot for the moon and came up a little short, and the other only shot for the clouds and surpassed expectations, Interstellar was an average student in an advanced college course and Gravity was a straight A student in a high school curriculum.

Gravity.