Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I agree with Leto's out of place character. He and his dialogue belonged in a corny space opera; not Brade Runna.
Yeah, the scenes with Leto were my least favorite parts. Way too caricature-like and one-dimensional.

Overall, I still think it's an excellent film. Rewatched it again the other day with a friend - would probably give it a 4 out of 5.

Hombre (1967)

I'd been craving a good western lately, so when I saw this nominated for the movie tournament I jumped at the chance. Paul Newman rejoining the director of the great HUD had me very hopeful. This is a revisionist western, something I read, not something I know the definition of. Newman plays a white man raised by Indians, something that does not make him very popular with his natural born peers. When he inherits a boarding house but is intent on selling it, he becomes even more unpopular. He is among a group of people taking a stagecoach out of town when it is robbed and a hostage is taken. Newman is good even if it's not one of his standout roles. Brilliant are Richard Boone as the villain and Diane Cilento as the woman who runs the boarding house. Fredric March and Martin Balsam also star.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The movie is a little dated now. But in 1955 it was pretty hot stuff. I believe I'd seen Rebel Without a Cause first, then Giant. Either that, or I'd seen it when it came out, but was too young to appreciate the themes and melodrama. Fact is, Dean's character, Caleb Trask, and his relationship with his father, was very similar to my own relationship with MY father. Maybe that's why I kept it on the mental back burner.

The story was over the top, as are most melodramas, and it certainly gave Dean plenty of opportunities to show his emotions as an actor. He did a great job, as did Raymond Massey and Jo Van Fleet. But I personally preferred his other films to this one. It's amazing though that he did these three important films within a two year (or less) time frame!

~Doc
I need to see Giant and Rebel once again. I'd watched them when I was teenager, so our story with this films is quite similar. In fact I barely remember them.
I've read the book and how it is with books and it's adaptations, the novel shows much more diversity of emotions in relationships between characters. If the story had personal meaning, you should read the book
And one thing more, I think the story, has universal envoy, so it will be always currents.
Thanks for sharing your opinion, Doc

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Two novels about WW II in Poland. Masterpiece.
My least favourite Munk.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Army Of Darkness (Sam Raimi, 1982)

Undead funny

This might just do nobody any good.
I watched Sofia Coppola’s The Beguiled yesterday and it’s one of the most boringly scripted, directed and acted and most bore inducing movies I’ve seen in a long time. The great cast doesn’t even have the investment to chew the scenery a bit.

I guess it’s pretty to look at, tho.

Justice League (2017)

Better then I expected.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Thoroughbreds (2018)

Nowhere close to Heather.

The River (Jean Renoir, 1951)
+
Flows smoothly enough

House of Tolerance (2011)

-

I put this on my watchlist a couple of years ago when MovieGal recommended it to me. I recently took notice of it again after Camo creamed over it, and I finally watched it for the movie tournament. I thought it was sneaky good, growing on me more and more as I became understanding that there wasn't a concrete plot. Set at a brothel in 1900 Paris, the girls and the madam go through the typical things those girls and a madam would go through. An assault or a disease here and there, creepy clients, hopes and dreams, and just trying to get by. I thought it was executed pretty well and it seemed realistic. It looks good and the performances are believable.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
My least favourite Munk.
Always assumed that was me
Really? IMO it was brilliant. Especially the first novel. Funny, involving and different from other polish movies about WW II.
My least fav Munk's movie is Men of Blue Cross, but I haven't seen whole his films yet.

God Help The Girl (Stuart Murdoch, 2014)
+
Undemanding, unoriginal, unexciting

God Help The Girl (Stuart Murdoch, 2014)
+
Undemanding, unoriginal, unexciting
with that 2+ star rating, it makes me think that there's something smashing against the surface, wanting to get out. Something ambitious, or something worthy of a solid 3 star rating. So, what is it?

The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)

+

I watched this for the movie tournament as it just looked like something I would enjoy. I wasn't wrong, and I'm not sure how I missed it for the 50's countdown. A studio boss brings into his office a writer, director, and a starlet. He's looking to talk them all into doing a film with a movie producer played by Kirk Douglas. The thing is that they each have an unpleasant past with the man, but at the same time he's a big reason for their success. They take turns telling their stories with him in flashback, and each one seems to get more dramatic. Great cast, melodrama, and indictment on Hollywood.

The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)

+

I watched this for the movie tournament as it just looked like something I would enjoy. I wasn't wrong, and I'm not sure how I missed it for the 50's countdown. A studio boss brings into his office a writer, director, and a starlet. He's looking to talk them all into doing a film with a movie producer played by Kirk Douglas. The thing is that they each have an unpleasant past with the man, but at the same time he's a big reason for their success. They take turns telling their stories with him in flashback, and each one seems to get more dramatic. Great cast, melodrama, and indictment on Hollywood.
Another one of my noms It was a top ten first time watch of last year for me.

Hombre (1967)

I'd been craving a good western lately, so when I saw this nominated for the movie tournament I jumped at the chance. Paul Newman rejoining the director of the great HUD had me very hopeful. This is a revisionist western, something I read, not something I know the definition of. Newman plays a white man raised by Indians, something that does not make him very popular with his natural born peers. When he inherits a boarding house but is intent on selling it, he becomes even more unpopular. He is among a group of people taking a stagecoach out of town when it is robbed and a hostage is taken. Newman is good even if it's not one of his standout roles. Brilliant are Richard Boone as the villain and Diane Cilento as the woman who runs the boarding house. Fredric March and Martin Balsam also star.

Good points. At the time, if one was a big Newman fan (as was I), the expectations for Hombre were along the lines of Hud or The Hustler. In that regard Newman's role fell short. IMO his casting in this picture missed the mark as much as did his role in Torn Curtain. He was best as a rogue or a rascal.

I think many of us give Newman a lot of latitude simply because he's fun to watch. But Hud was a far superior film-- one of his best.

OTOH Richard Boone turned in a dynamite portrayal as the rotten bad guy in Hombre. He was always superb at convincing viewers that he was not only sneeringly sociopathic, but evil. He had one of the nastiest charismatic abilities in cinema. Jack Palance was another (e.g. his character in Shane).

~Doc