Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I was pretty sure I've seen it before, but when I was watching I realize I haven't. And I realize I don't adore James Dean as majority. I liked the way the camera was guided. The plot absolutely brilliant, thanks to Steinbeck of course

Nothing special, but it has got some charm.
I was wondering why TV played this movie this evening. It's about gys, who work in brewery. Happy St. Patrick's day!

Winchester (2018) - 2/10 Lazy, terrible horror, don't watch. And if you did, did you like it?
Life is Beautiful (1997) - 9.6/10 Beautiful, please watch this. And if you did, did you like it? lol
Fantasia (1940) - 6.5/10 Loved the short with the centaurs, loved the one with Chernabog, and loved the classic Mickey Sorcerer. Didn't care for anything else.
Fantasia is a favourite of mine Luis, "Life is Beautiful" I didn't get on with. Differing opinions I suppose.

The Party

Urgh, what a chore to get through and it was only 71 minutes long... was looking forwards to it as I loved her last film Ginger & Rosa.
Really as bad? I have to admit I enjoyed it. I like a movies similar to theatrical playes.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Fantasia is a favourite of mine Luis, "Life is Beautiful" I didn't get on with. Differing opinions I suppose.
There are some parts of Fantasia that I loved, but I'm glad you like as much as you do.

The Thirteenth Floor (Josef Rusnak, 1999)

I think, therefore I might not be

Really as bad? I have to admit I enjoyed it. I like a movies similar to theatrical pla
I don't mind films similar to plays so that's not what put me off. Just couldn't get into it and it was suppose to have some black comedy(some reviews I read said people were in fits of laughter...) in it but I didn't laugh once...

Tomb Raider
(2018) -

While I thought the film okay while I was watching it, the more I reflect on it, the more it irritates me.

The biggest problem is that Tomb Raider tries too hard to be a grounded, and semi-realistic film while also incorporating ridiculous elements from the video games. It really needed to pull an Indiana Jones and have some magic or supernatural forces in order to justify things like the inclusion of an actual colour puzzle. What's worse, is that trying to apply science and logic to the events that occur just exposes inconsistencies with the plot and character motivations that wouldn't otherwise exist.

It's also one of those films that treats its audience like complete idiots, by repeating exposition in case the viewers forgot what they heard in a scene just minutes before hand. It doesn't happen that often, but there's a particularly egregious one right at the end of the film during its sequel set-up that really leaves the film on a bitter note.

[East of Eden]

I was pretty sure I've seen it before, but when I was watching I realize I haven't. And I realize I don't adore James Dean as majority. I liked the way the camera was guided. The plot absolutely brilliant, thanks to Steinbeck of course
The movie is a little dated now. But in 1955 it was pretty hot stuff. I believe I'd seen Rebel Without a Cause first, then Giant. Either that, or I'd seen it when it came out, but was too young to appreciate the themes and melodrama. Fact is, Dean's character, Caleb Trask, and his relationship with his father, was very similar to my own relationship with MY father. Maybe that's why I kept it on the mental back burner.

The story was over the top, as are most melodramas, and it certainly gave Dean plenty of opportunities to show his emotions as an actor. He did a great job, as did Raymond Massey and Jo Van Fleet. But I personally preferred his other films to this one. It's amazing though that he did these three important films within a two year (or less) time frame!

~Doc

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Tomb Raider (2018)

Puzzles way too EZ.

New Order Story (1993) - released 2005 on home video

New Order Story is a documentary about former surviving Joy Division members transitioning into a cult 80's new wave band. I really enjoy watching this. I'd just bought it again after not having it for 10 years. The narration can be on the heavy pretentious side and annoy me to death at times but the film itself is enlightening. Clearly this is all staged for humor, and these guys aren't shying away from tooting their own horns. I doubt their impact is as intense as this picture would have you believe. Maybe it is?

As a band I like New Order. They have a very unique style of composing and their instrumentation is very uncommon. The guitar serves as a plaid-like curtain and occassional pencil-like apparatus barking out a melody. The drums are usually 4 to the floor syncopated with busy 16th or more note hi hat work, closely backed by a programmed rhythm track of synth bass. The keyboards are split between the drummer and his wife/keyboardist Gillian. The most unusual member is bassist Peter Hook - who uses his bass as more a lead instrument, seldom occupying lower registers and instead hogging up the higher scales with slinky and simpleton lead melody notes that guitar would usually play. His remedial playing is seemingly simple but his old school osmotic thinking would have him play notes and combinations of strings (sometimes open drone) to get a truly unique sound (often accompanied by heavy chorus effect, sans amp distortion, and a tough leather jacket). The man is a lumbering cock rocker.

The film shows me that they have an interesting design and business sense, and are selective with how they portray themselves for public accessibility, but as far as being a genius band with genius musical chops? Probably not. Good timing because of years playing with sequencers, but nothing Led Zeppelin would lose any sleep over.

Murder By Decree. Sherlock Holmes is on the hunt for Jack the Ripper in this late 70s Victorian thriller starring Christopher Plummer and a perfectly cast James Mason as Holmes and Watson. Well made and acted, with a great 'hook', but it's a bit on the ponderous side and the conspiracy thriller plot never really convinces.

Welcome to the human race...
The 15:17 to Paris -

man, Clint really likes referencing his older stuff in the backgrounds of his new true-story movies

Astenicheskiy sindrom [The Asthenic Syndrome] (Kira Muratova, 1990)

Meh, can't be arsed