Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Peter Mullan has played too many angry men rôles IMO.
This and My Name is Joe I suppose. He does have a decent range though i think.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

The Human Condition: No Greater Love (1959)

A true epic. Such a performance by Nakadai. I was really surprised by how hard hitting it was. Cant wait to watch the next part.

Did it feel like 3.5 hours? I've been wanting to see these for a while.

The Pianist (2002)

Third viewing of this hard-hitting biographical film about Jewish Polish pianist Wladyslaw Szpilman's survival of the Holocaust in WW2 Warsaw. Director Roman Polanski - also a war-time ghetto survivor (from Krakow) - delivers an unforgettable masterpiece about the terrible power of hatred and the many victims left in its wake. The horrific scenes of the extreme cruelty suffered by the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto, and those of the later utterly annihilated grey city, leave an indelible mark in the viewer's mind. Hope and a future come at the end with Adrien Brody's Szpilman playing Chopin's "Grande Polonaise Brillante" - the spirit of great art returning, to replace brutal murder.

Babette's Feast (1987)

In a permanently bleak, damp, Danish village in the middle of nowhere, two sisters dutifully live away their quiet existence with their father, a Protestant pastor, between dull food, home duties and church. Following their father's death they are joined by a Catholic woman from Paris - the eponymous Babette - fleeing religious persecution: she will eventually bring the missing spice to their ascetic existence. Based on a story by Karen Blixen (Out of Africa author). Played in Danish and French, a very touching and beautifully made film.

Pride and Prejudice (1940)

One of the earliest film adaptations of a Jane Austen novel. A US production, with mixed American/British cast, and announced at the beginning as being set in "Old England": the cast thus enunciates with high class - manners are 'menners', a carriage is a 'cerridge', etc. It's a high-camp hoot all round and frankly laughable at times. Olivier is comical as a dandy Darcy (compare him to Colin Firth's first-class dusky version in 1995) and the ladies seem to have a lot of fun mincing around. The winner though, by far, are the incredible hats: these enormous, glorious creations that defy gravity - it's almost a shame they're no longer in fashion.

Most interesting man in the world
Teen Wolf 1985 8 / 10

"An ordinary high school student discovers that his family has
an unusual pedigree when he finds himself turning into a werewolf."

-fun movie

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Did it feel like 3.5 hours? I've been wanting to see these for a while.
After you saw the entire 10 hours long tirlogy you wish it was 100 hours long.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Annihilation

(Alex Garland)

Alex Garland is quickly carving a name out for himself in the sci/fi genre. Karl Urban leaked that Garland was basically the director of Dread, making Annihilation his third film (but we won't get into semantics here). There has been some controversy around this film when a story broke out that the studio wanted to change the ending after a poor test screening, citing it too intellectual and confusing for the general movie going public. Garland and producer Scott Rudin refused to change the ending since they had final cut. The result was a weird deal made with Netflix, where the film would receive a theatrical run in North America, but be released on Netflix in almost every other foreign market. Garland explained his disappointment with the decision as he believes the film should be seen on the big screen as he intended it to be.

Cellular biology professor and former soldier Lena is captured by shadowy government soldiers when her husband reappears after being MIA for more than a year. She has no idea where he was, but soon finds out that he was tasked with going into a place known as The Shimmer. All we know about The Shimmer is that once you go in, you never come out. Lena's husband is the only person to escape and he's in poor health. She's determined to find a reason why and hopes for a 'cure' to his ailments. So she goes in with a female team hoping to find answers.

Garland delivers a good sci/fi film with enough mystery, head scratching science and suspense to keep you entertained. This isn't Cameron's Aliens. We don't have a group of macho men and women going in guns blazin'. Here we have a group of damaged people, all with their own reasons to want to go into an unknown place that has a 99.99% chance of never coming back. The deeper these women go into The Shimmer, the weirder and more dangerous their surroundings become. Things work differently inside this place, even time. Garland asks you to pay attention to small details such as tattoos or glasses of water. He has the answers to a puzzle and he leaves breadcrumbs for the viewer. Is that why the studio was all upset with the ending? Garland spells nothing out for you, you do it for yourself.

The film isn't shy of showcasing some pretty grotesque images. One involves the women finding a video recording of the previous team doing an amateur autopsy of sorts, which might make your insides crawl *wink*. Other scenes involve encounters with these wild animals that no longer feel like they are part of our world. I could go deeper into the why, what, where, when and how of the story elements, but half the fun is discovering it yourself.

Garland uses a lot of CGI, some of it is weak, others are subtle. There is a constant shine of sorts in the background. It looks like gasoline mixed with water, it gives off a rainbow-ish vibe all over the place. The third act is going to be the thing that people will be divided over. For some reason I got a very similar vibe to The Fountain, despite this film bearing no resemblance to that movie in story or tone. It was just a feeling I got. I'd love to go into some conversations about what The Shimmer represents, this is a film that I believe is ripe for exploration in a forum.

Give it a chance.

Suspect's Reviews

Black Panther

Overall an OK Marvel movie, I'd say it is as good as Thor: Ragnarok, and better than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Cons:
- The final batter scene was again WEAK.
- The plot was so predictable, Lion King superhero edition?
- Michael B. Jordan outshined Chadwick Boseman so much, not saying Boseman was bad.

Final rating:

Operation Red Sea

My heart was bleeding when I saw this movie. As a Chinese, there is no denying that Chinese movie industry was pathetic, and the direction they are heading to is wrong. They don't learn the good stuff from Korean movies or Bollywood movies. They learn from Michael Freaking Bay. Since when bombing and yelling became the best benchmarks, even in War genre?

Cons:
- Some actor, they just cannot act.
- Lazy writing is everywhere just for convenience
- The propaganda is so obvious and become disgusting
- The action scenes are done in Mission Impossible 2 style, so lame and obsolete
- You see the first 30 mins, you know the ending

People. Avoid. This. Sh$t.

Final Rating:
, I know, this is still half star higher than John Wick 2.

“I was cured, all right!”

Operation Red Sea

My heart was bleeding when I saw this movie. As a Chinese, there is no denying that Chinese movie industry was pathetic, and the direction they are heading to is wrong. They don't learn the good stuff from Korean movies or Bollywood movies. They learn from Michael Freaking Bay. Since when bombing and yelling became the best benchmarks, even in War genre?

Cons:
- Some actor, they just cannot act.
- Lazy writing is everywhere just for convenience
- The propaganda is so obvious and become disgusting
- The action scenes are done in Mission Impossible 2 style, so lame and obsolete
- You see the first 30 mins, you know the ending

People. Avoid. This. Sh$t.

Final Rating:
, I know, this is still half star higher than John Wick 2.
John Wick 2 is awesome, I can't anderstand your hate. I went three times to the movie theaters to apreciate a good american violent action film, it's been a very long time since a good action film with great stunts was made in america. The hyper reallity created for the film is very good too. It's not believable? I'll be damned...

John Wick 2 is awesome, I can't anderstand your hate. I went three times to the movie theaters to apreciate a good american violent action film, it's been a very long time since a good action film with great stunts was made in america. The hyper reallity created for the film is very good too. It's not believable? I'll be damned...
First of all, I don't have hate towards John Wick 2, I have criticism towards John Wick 2.

The action is believable? He got hit by a car, and had been bleeding badly, yet fighting and running like Iron man... I don't know how it is believable?

My Sin (George Abbott, 1931)
+
No sin to quite enjoy it though

“I was cured, all right!”
First of all, I don't have hate towards John Wick 2, I have criticism towards John Wick 2.

The action is believable? He got hit by a car, and had been bleeding badly, yet fighting and running like Iron man... I don't know how it is believable?
Where did I say that 'the action is believable?'

Either way, are you questioning reality in a work of fiction that takes place in a reality of excesses? I understand someone argue about a fanciful element in a realistic narrative. John Wick is not, nor has he ever attempted to be, a realistic narrative. Johyn Wick's world is utterly absurd, with murderers inhabiting every corner. This alternative reality is full of absurdities. A normal human would certainly not come out alive from a situation like the one John deals with. But again, this is not a realistic film. At a certain point in Hard Boiled (1992) Tequila leaves situations that are impossible to escape unharmed. The same happens in certain moments of Die Hard, Die Hard 3 and many films of Jackie Chan. The Raid 2 is another example of absurd situations. All of these films I've cited do not try to be realistic, they overpower the absurd, so they're efficient at what they do. Physics does not have to be real, it's action of excess!