Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Oslo, 31 August
I saw that, but only vaguely remember it. I did finish it IIRC.

The last movie I watched is:

The Program (2015) (about Lance Armstrong).

I really enjoyed the story development and some of the ironies. Was much better than I expected.

7/10

The last movie I watched is:

The Program (2015) (about Lance Armstrong).

I really enjoyed the story development and some of the ironies. Was much better than I expected.

7/10
If that’s the one with Ben Foster, yes, that is a good movie.

I, Tonya (2017)

Familiarity with the story and my taste had me hoping this would be my favorite movie of 2017. While I did enjoy it a good amount, I found it to be disappointing. I very much appreciated the dark humor, but I just thought it was a bit cartoonish. Robbie and Janney were good and saved the movie. Janney's Oscar win reminds me of McDormands. I have no beef with their performances, but just because they played the most outlandish and attention getting characters, that doesn't mean they were the best. I don't know, maybe they were; it's just something that came to mind. Pretty good soundtrack here, but a strange use of it I thought. The movie chronicles almost 20 years, and at first the music is era specific and gradually gets newer. Then when we get to the 90's, they go back to 70's music. This would be fine if a character was playing the jukebox or listening to their radio, but they just played the songs randomly over scenes. Hearing the great Fleetwood Mac play during the 90's just seemed uneven to me, as much of the movie did.
I think that you pretty well summed up Janney's and McDormand's Oscar wins.

I, Tonya had several problems. First, it must have been difficult to cast the Harding character. They were limited to finding someone who had some skating experience, and who also could act. Pretty tough. As it was they wound up with a beautiful Australian (Harding was actually semi-homely and Tom-Boyish), who was too old and too tall. Margot Robbie did a creditable job, but it would have been tough to make her into a believable Tonya Harding. Harding also had a low class demeanor, which is tough to act convincingly (e.g., Jennifer Lawrence didn't quite get there in Winter's Bone).

The Tonya Harding story was by itself stranger than fiction. So the Hollywood effort to enhance its sensationalism didn't hang right. The over the top gutter language didn't help. How many F words can be stuffed into a sentence? Harding's mother's character was over written to the point of being cartoon like.

The film was interesting to watch, but I think your rating is just about right.

~Doc

Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express (2017), happy to get an update as Branagh, the movie looks like a million bucks. The problem is if you watched the Lumet version than you already know the ending so it's more about watching and enjoying the execution.

Agatha's Christie's Crooked House(rating) this was the story I didn't know the ending to but had less production values. It was alright I think watching the two back to back I prefer a predictable pretty movie than the unpredictable cheaper one.

It's cracking me up that you said "if you watched the Lumet version" and not if you read the book

Or are the movie endings different to the books? I've seen neither of them.

Brigsby Bear (2017)

I liked this, it was a fun way to spend an evening. An idea like this could have easily been milked for all it's worth with low hanging fruit jokes, but no this movie plays it pretty straight and so it works. The main thing that I like was that the film wasn't mean. I expected the guy who had been living underground away from society, and is then exposed to reality, to end up the butt of jokes. But no, that never happened. Instead he finds a friend and together they make a movie. How cool is that! Sure there's a couple of plot holes that were big enough to stuff a bears head through, but all in all a decent little movie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brigsby Bear.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	42892  

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Oslo, 31 August
A great film. The scene at the end with the music of Handel is spellbinding!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Tarnished Lady (George Cukor, 1931)
+
Unpolished is appropriate imo

It's cracking me up that you said "if you watched the Lumet version" and not if you read the book

Or are the movie endings different to the books? I've seen neither of them.
I can't read...now don't you feel horrible.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Daddy's Home 2

(Sean Anders)

Inspired casting of the grandparents isn't enough to save this by the numbers comedy sequel with bad humour. Despite the comedy chemistry that both Wahlberg and Ferrell have, Daddy's Home 2 fails to fuel that bond, which was evident in the original and even better in The Other Guys. This is a money grabbing sequel that knew it wasn't going to be good, so they tried to wrangle in the "holiday" crowd by having it take place at Christmas. We saw a similar thing happen with Bad Moms 2.

Brad and Dusty are finally friends and are co-dadding this whole thing up perfectly. Then things take an unexpected turn when Dusty's father Kurt comes in for the holidays. They have a strenuous relationship, the total opposite of touchy-feely Brad and his father, Don. In an effort to win over his grandchildren and upstage Don, Kurt rents a chateau for the holidays. Unfortunately not everyone is jolly and the small cracks in the relationship between Brad and Dusty begin to widen as Kurt exploits it.

It's been awhile since we've seen Gibson in a comedy and it shows. He is pretty stiff here, trying to mix his bad guy persona with the comedy styling of today, which he is not known for. It makes for an awkward performance that seems kind of out of place. He even picked up a RAZZIE for his performance here. On the other hand you have Lithgow, who perfectly fits in with Ferrell and their relationship is spot on. The cast as a whole is talented enough, but they are not given a chance to transform the material into something funny. Instead we are given bits that are as old as time itself (dad / thermostat jokes that were funny when Family Guy did it).

Poor Linda Cardellini, given even less to do now than she had in the original. Her whole arc here is to be jealous of Wahlberg's new girl and there is so little time dedicated to her that sometimes I forgot she was in the film. John Cena has been carving out a decent comedy career, but everything he does here falls incredibly short. That sums up the film for me, it falls short in a lot of areas, mainly the laughs. For a comedy, that's a death sentence.

Suspect's Reviews

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I saw that, but only vaguely remember it. I did finish it IIRC.
Oh! I was totally astounded and amazed. I was thinking about main character about 4 next month.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
A great film. The scene at the end with the music of Handel is spellbinding!
Yeah. There was many great moments. I love dialogues, the plot... everything. It's very personal movie for me

The Death Of Stalin

Very loosely a satire, even less a comedy, a great movie, I loved it.. thought provoking stuff with a fantastic cast to boot, can't see anything like this coming around again.. ever... wondered if I would be insulted by this but by it's end I knew I am watching a serious film, not making fun of terrible things but rather helping you digest them easier, probably my favourite film of 2018

Definitely late to the game with some of the movies that came out in 2017. Wind River was great, though I was surprised that it was sort of ignored by the Oscars (not that they matter, anyway). Then I saw that the release date was Jan 2017 and realized that Wind River may have been victim to the same early release-itis that I think torpedoed Zodiac in 2007.

RATING:

My Brother The Devil (Sally El Hosaini, 2012)

Decent family fare