Embrace The Film

→ in
Tools    

Short and Feature Film Reviews and Analysis by Oliver Buckley

DEATH WISH (2018)

Today we are taking a look at the reimagining of “Death Wish”
Directed by Eli Roth and Starring Bruce Willis, Vincent D'Onofrio, Elizabeth Shue, and Camilla Morrone. This film follows a trauma surgeon whos family is attacked during a burglary, sending him on his own personal mission of vigilante justice.

I went in to this one as a fan of the original Death Wish films, hoping that Eli Roth would do it justice. I'm sad to say that I didn't have a whole lot of confidence, given that Roth's last few film havent been very good to say the least. Thought he does have good work under his belt, so there is hope each time he makes a film that he will get his act together.

That being said, This film was indeed an improvement on his last couple, Buuuut, it still wasn't all that good. Bruce Willis's performace in this was as wooden as what a woodchuck chucks if a woodchuck could chuck wood. Every moment he is on screen, he remains as dry and emotionless as humanly possible. While the rest of the cast does...fine. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good...what more can you ask for from a supporting cast I guess...aside from, ya know, Depth!

Lets face it, this movie was for the most part cookie cutter. The special effects in the film were great, and handled well. Roth didn't linger on the violence as much as he has in the past, which I have to respect, it shows a maturity that he has never really been known for.
Though I did think some of them were unecessarily over the top.

For a lot of this film it kind of felt like a collection of action sequences and killing sequences that were just strung together. Not to say that the action sequences were bad, but I would have like some more solid scenes to bridge them together.

Bruce Willis's performance in this one has to be one of the worst I have ever seen from him. He is so bland and stone faced in every scene that I can't help but wonder if this was supposed to be some kind of creative choice between him and Roth that just didn't work.
He barely shows any emotion throughout the film, and the few moments he does are at a level that just don't make me believe in him.

The whole film is intercut with footage from this podcast/ radio show thing talking about Willis's vigilante acts. This is something I hate when films do, it feels like a lazy way to bridge gaps between scenes. In this film it almost feels like a forced way to make the revenge film subgenre relevant to today's mindless tech obsessed tweens.

In my opinion this one did more harm to the memory of the original Death Wish films, then good. However, The film is entertaining for the most part. It can be enjoyable. It's a film that is tolerable, it has some decent moments in it. But it's not one that I'm gonna watch time and time again. The best way I can describe it as a whole, is that it's just...Fine.

After careful consideration, I have to give “Death Wish” a

This was one I honestly wanted to be great, despite Eli Roth's track record lately, I had high hopes that he would redeem himself with this one which in a lot of ways I do feel that he did.
I feel that maybe he is trying to turn over a new leaf, and become a bit more of a mature film maker, who might be trying new things.

If you have a chance to see this film this weekend, I would definitely consider it. It's worth a watch at least once. My only suggestion is to go into it knowing what to expect, so that you won't be disappointed.

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS (1999)

Every year, I Celebrate St Patty's Day with The Boondock Saints.
The monumental, action/crime cult classic, Written and directed by Troy Duffy, and starring Sean Patrick Flannery and Norman Reedus.

It's almost guarenteed that many of you watching this review will have seen Boondock Saints at some point in your movie loving lives.
But, for those who havent:

The film follows 2 brothers who set out to rid the streets of Boston of the evil men operating there, while being tracked down by a relentless and excentric FBI agent.

For a long time, basically my entire highschool life, this film was a huge influence on me as a film maker and a writer. Many of my shorts consisted of sequences that paid homage to Troy Duffy's work in more ways then one. It's safe to say that I had slight obsession with this one for a time. Part of me always will.

It is packed to the brim with extremely memorable, and energetic scenes, performed by a collection of amazingly wild, outlandish and badass characters. The acting in this film is very strong, while maintaining its hard edge and charging intensity. There are so many memorable scenes that, to list them all here would result in an in depth discussion of the entire film. And I don't mean that as a figure of speech. I quite literally mean that every single scene is extremly memorable, extremly quotable, and will stick with you for the rest of your days.

This is also by far not a serious film, sure it has serious moments, and heartfelt drama
but it is a beautiful blend of hilarity and action, wrapped up in this web of criminal analysis and vigilantism. Which is a stunning contrast unto itself.

The action sequences are some of the most high concept and replicated in the entire genre. Most action films these days still don't even come close to the originality that Duffy put into this film, So they just duplicate it.

There are a few things that it could have improved upon, The few special effects that it does have a re a little low grade for it's time. The way the film is contructed could I guess be contrued as confusing to some. For a majority of the film It uses the tactic of introducing you to the aftermath of an event from the FBI point of view, before then showing you the event itself. The cinematography for the majority is pretty standard, but is however peppered with some extremely impressive and iconic shots that have proved so far to stand the test of time.

This film has impacted the culture of film in the same way that Tarantino's Reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction have. It delivers highly influencial characters fighting for a darkly inspiring cause. In some ways I feel like it's a film that both inspires change and involkes thought. Maybe not as much as some others. But it is definitely one that if nothing else, creates a dicsussion and maybe one that we need to have as a society.

I give The Boondock Saints an

This has been one of my favorite action films for as far back as I can remember. It inspired me to push my film making and writing further, and introduced me to a new may of looking at how an action film could be contructed. This is definitely one that even the average, or below average movie goer will love, and rewatch again and again.

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS 2: ALL SAINTS DAY (2009)

Was The long awaited sequel to the inconic cult classic crime film that first hit screens in 1999. Once again written and directed by Troy Duffy, Both Norman Reedus and Sean Patrick Flannery return for this new installment, along with the entire original cast, and are joined by new comers, Judd Nelson, Julie Benz, Clifton Collins Jr, and Peter Fonda.

Once again, for those who havent seen this film:
After all this time, we meet up with the MacManus brothers living a quiet life in Ireland with their father the infamous Il Duce. But upon learning of the death of a beloved friend at the hands of a mod enforcer. They return to Boston to bring justice to those responsible and end the mobs hold over the city.

Once again Flannery and Reedus deliver wildy entertaining performances in this one, and both Benz and Collins step up their games from previous roles to stand right up along side of the two iconic characters. In fact, every one in this film absolutely killed their parts, and all of the new comers melded right in with the cast as if they had always been there.

For a director that has only ever made these 2 films, it is incredible how influential and creative Duffy is. Once again he delivers a knock out film that in some ways surpasses the original. There is definitely a clear improvement in the film making techniques with this one, combined with a pure love for the characters and the material, as well as a passion to amp things up this time around.

Duffy managed to create a series of new and exciting action sequences that both pay homage to the iconic scenes in his original masterpiece and deliver something new and enoyable to watch. Once again there were a few things about this one that dont quite stand up against the first film.

The characters of Rocco and Smecker were sorely missed throughout this one
Though their spiritual successors did an amazing job with bringing us characters that both brought us something familiar and new they just didnt feel exactly right. Which is a risk you run with characters as beloved as these.

But it is my opinion that the sequel to a film as obsessed over, talked about, favored as the boondock saints, could not have been any better then this one. This was probably the closest thing to a perfect sequel, that we will ever see.

I have to give The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day an

This was a beautifully crafted film, with incredible visual and fun characters
and it was a sequel that was well worth the wait. I hope it doesnt take as long for us to see more of the MacManus brothers in future films.

THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985)

Spend the day in Saturday detention with Me and 1985's
“The Breakfast Club.” The film that broke the highschool barriers and gave a voice to an entire generation. Directed by the legendary John Hughes, and Starring Judd Nelson, Molley Ringwald, Alley Sheidee, Emilio Esteves, and Anthony Michael Hall.

This film follows five highschool students, all from very different social circles, confined to Saturday Detention. As the hours pass by, they each begin to realize that they may not be so different after all.

I have seen this one dozens of times, and watched it from every perspective. Each time I take something new away from it. What makes this film interesting, are it's characters. Watching five people, who are all so very different, interacting within this confined situation. All of them realizing how similar they actually are beneath all the masks that they use to hide their true selves from the world.

As a little stuffie I watched this film at face value. For entertainment, the lines were quippy, the combative nature of these kids was enjoyable and relatable. The type of story it presented gave hope. That maybe being made of felt and stuffing, which is veeery different from the social norms, wasn't such a bad thing after all, because maybe we all struggle with being different in some way or another.

If you look at this one in the context of the time that it was made, this is an extremely grounded film, with incredible performances. Each of these actors provides a depth to their characters that goes beyond the normal teen dramedy structure. Bringing us on an emotional ride filled with thrills and laughs alike.

On some level, everyone that watches this film can relate to at least one of it's characters. Whether it be the brain, the basket case, the princess, the jock, or the criminal. I guarantee that there are even those who can relate to the either the teacher, or the janitor in some ways.

John Hughes was a man with his fingers directly on the pulse of the modern american teenager, during his reign in hollywood. I'll never know how he was able to craft such a perfect story, and speak so fluently through each of these kids...and honestly it doesn't matter. I'm just glad he did.

Something that makes this film special, is how rewatchable it is. Out of the millions of films that have been created over the years, how many of them can you honestly say that you could watch again and again. There are hundreds of people around the world who have watched this film more times then they can count. A fact that stands as a testimant to how strong of a film this is. It's messages stand strong to this day and still resonate through every generation that we share this with.

After careful consideration, I have to give “The Breakfast Club” an

In my opinion this is a film that will forever remain a benchmark in the cinematic landscape, and is a must see, and a must own for all fans of cinema. If you have some how made it to this point in your life without seeing this film. You absolutely need to.

THE SUNSET LIMITED (2011)

Recently it was brought to my attention that I review a lot of Horror films. Which is true, I love horror, I can't get enough of it. But I was also asked if I plan to review more non horror related titles.

My goal as a reviewer and a critic is to review anything and everything, every genre and every style. To bring my viewers my thoughts, analysis and opinions on any movies that they are interested in seeing. While I may do a ton of reviews on Horror, I assure you I plan on reviewing anything I possibly can.

Starting today with “The Sunset Limited” Directed by: Tommy Lee Jones and Starring: Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson An extremly simple film that follows two men in ana apartment discussing their beliefs.

In my opinion this is by far one of the most, if not The most, underrated films that has ever been made. It takes a true talent, to create a film where nothing happens, and some how be able to keep an audience completely and deeply engaged for it's entire runtime. That is exactly what this film is and that's exactly what it does. Now I'm not oblivious to the fact that a lot of that engagement may come from the film's star power.

Sam Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones are two of the greatest talents that this world has ever produced. Anytime we see either of these men on screen most of us are captivated by them.
Having the two of them locked in a box, in deep discussion about the deepest of thought provoking subjects, is a massive force to be reckoned with.

They were able to create such interesting, real people out of these two characters. When you watch this film, it almost feels like you are sitting in the room with them. And to add to that realism, there is no music in this film, no soundtrack or score to be heard.

The music of this film is the dialogue, an endless flow of dialogue from beginning to end. A full, and thought provoking conversation. Supported by by a beautiful, and high quality sound mix, that places you perfectly within this apartment, making you really believe you are there.

I love simplicity in film, and in that reguard, this one is a masterpiece. I've seen very few films like this one. Because very few like this one exist. It can't be an easy process to make something this simple, this good. I've personally always wished I could make something like this. Maybe someday I will.

I want to see more movies like this. So if anyone out there watching knows of any, please leave a comment below.

I'm giving “The Sunset Limited” an

This is a perfect film, there is no arguing that. The only thing anyone could say to argue that point, would be that nothing happens, that it was boring. But to them, I simply say...they weren't paying attention. This is just a discussion, two men discussing their beliefs in life. Truely discussing. Something that I feel, we as a society have forgotten how to do.

Which poses the question, how often do you have a real, deep conversation with someone, face to face, no phones screens, or text bubbles between you? And even if it was in fact recently, I'll be willing to wager that it wasn't anywhere near the level of the conversation in this film.