Favourite Stand-Up Comedian?

Tools    

I don't actually wear pants.
I apologize if this is not a topic suited for this message board, but I've decided not to apologize for it.

Mine is Eddie Izzard. He's hilarious. I understand he's going into politics now, but I enjoy most of his work. Honestly, I don't enjoy many stand-up artists, especially modern American ones because they just use potty humour and crap about politics, but Izzard is awesome.

Yours?

I apologize if this is not a topic suited for this message board, but I've decided not to apologize for it.

Mine is Eddie Izzard. He's hilarious. I understand he's going into politics now, but I enjoy most of his work. Honestly, I don't enjoy many stand-up artists, especially modern American ones because they just use potty humour and crap about politics, but Izzard is awesome.

Yours?
Stewart Lee, and Peter Kay.

I find out about comedians these days through their appearances on UK panel shows. Very rare that I see their actual stand-up. I was made up when I discovered that Sean Lock used to be in Newman and Baddiel in the Nineties. I just didn't remember his face at all .

Can't really narrow it down, but George Carlin was the man...no one was better.
Yeah, Carlin was one of the very best-- from his earliest 1960s "Hippie-dippie weatherman" all the way up to the end.

I was a big fan of Johnathan Winters, Nichols & May, Steve Martin and Bill Cosby. They didn't have to use toilet humor-- just good material and delivery. Today, Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan are pretty good. And Eddie Izzard has great timing. His "Death Star" routine was one of the funniest things I'd heard in years.

~Doc

Well this topic has been on my personal radar very recently and so I thought I would share my thoughts on Martin Lawrence. He had a successful sitcom that went for more than a single season and I was a massive fan. He was extremely funny on every show. Just yesterday or the day before, I went to go watch a standup that he performed but it was terrible. Somehow the sitcom format brought out his natural talents but given free rein on his own just didn't work.

People have already mentioned Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin and George Carlin and *shudder* yes even Bill Cosby. All hysterical. I like Jim Gaffigan a lot as well and I was such a big Mitch Hedberg fan and still miss his wit and genius. But Richard Pryor is the only comedian who made me laugh so hard I thought I had injured a rib.

I don't actually wear pants.
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Someone mentioned George Carlin; he was a funny guy. I remember that, when he died, ESPN aired his "baseball vs football" bit, and it's hilarious. My older brother kept ruining each broadcast with his insipid comments, but it's really funny. Bill Cosby has his moments, too, but I'm rather tired of hearing his name.

Yeah, Carlin was one of the very best-- from his earliest 1960s "Hippie-dippie weatherman" all the way up to the end.
Loved the Hippy Dippy weatherman:

"The forecast for tonight...dark...continued dark tonight...followed by widely scattered light in the morning."

"It's 68 degrees at the airport...which is really stupid cause I don't know anyone who lives at the airport."

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Yours?

I'm another Eddie fan. Very smart and passionate guy. Not a big one for stand up comedy because I just dont get the chance to see a lot of it but I love him. I hope he does well in politics.

Not a stand up comedian but another very funny man I love is Stephen Fry. Super brainy man. Currently out of action due to his battle with prostate cancer. I wish him and all other men going through that well.

Forgot to add Jim Jeffries and Dave Chappelle. Jeffries may be an ass but he's side splitting and isnt afraid to say what so many of us are thinking but in a hilarious way. And Chappel can be hit or miss as a stand up but when he's on he's a riot.

People have already mentioned Eddie Murphy and Steve Martin and George Carlin and *shudder* yes even Bill Cosby. All hysterical. I like Jim Gaffigan a lot as well and I was such a big Mitch Hedberg fan and still miss his wit and genius. But Richard Pryor is the only comedian who made me laugh so hard I thought I had injured a rib.
I like Jim Gaffigan as well, mostly because his humor was really funny while remaining relatively clean. Years ago (while recovering from a foot operation) I actually showed two of Gaffigan's stand-up shows on DVD's to my parents who didn't walk away disgusted (usually, the moment they heard the "eff" word in a comedy show or movie, the TV would go off - so you can tell they missed out on the majority comedy routines and movies). The nice thing was they didn't turn off or walk out on Gaffigan's shows.

I'd say Carlin but then I'd have to mention Pryor, Murphy, and the lot. For pure stimulation and laughs, I'll choose Bill Hicks. He does share some questionable similarities with Kinison, but I really don't care.

Actually, I'm changing my mind mid-stream.

Eddie Murphy was an absolute machine. He was flawless in his delivery, and even though he uses a lot of profanity his characters are varied and hysterical. He also spoke a lot of truth that people didn't like, but he hid it well within his impressions.

There are too many good comedians, but the very best..OK, fine. Richard Pryor. Are you happy now?

For more relatively clean yet quirky humor (based on strange observations & puns with a dry delivery) was the humor of Steven Wright.
I've also enjoyed Demetri Martin's stand up.

Can't really narrow it down, but George Carlin was the man...no one was better.
ditto.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534