Your Favorite Stories?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Doesn't matter if the movie wasn't good, or if it was only made as a TV-movie - or if it was never made into a motion picture (but something you could see as being great if it was made).

Doesn't matter if the movie wasn't good, or if it was only made as a TV-movie - or if it was never made into a motion picture (but something you could see as being great if it was made).
Well The Odyssey's up there. There are many different versions and reinventions, movies and TV adaptations.

So good the Coens did it twice!
Never really fancied that – what was the second one?

This might just do nobody any good.
Inside Llewyn Davis (much looser than O’ Brother, though).

This might just do nobody any good.
Macbeth’s gotta be the most successful of all the Shakespeare plays onscreen, right? My favorite is Throne of Blood but i also liked the Fassbender version turning into a phantasmagorical hell-scape. I gotta seek out Welles’ version. Someone described it as “Shakespeare as Hammer horror.”

A Most Violent Year is almost a Macbeth adaptation. Chastain would own in the role.

Oh, man, someone should totally do Macbeth in a fictionalized Trump White House.

For a movie that was as excellent as the book, I would cite : To Kill A Mockingbird. It is not just the story of confronting injustice by a wise decent man that is mesmerizing - but the evocation of childhood: pals and mischief, innocence and confidences; and the presence of adults you can count on- that has a timeless appeal.

For stories that I believe were never made into movies, but I d like to see onscreen; here's a few : btw I do not now, unfortunately, read a lot of good fiction in the dedicated way Stirchkey does, but I used to read a lot more, so here are some ones I have cherished and wouldn't mind seeing a made into movies:

1- Turtle Diary - a quiet love story of two introverted Londoners who meet at the turtle tank in the zoo.

2- a poem by Robert Frost, preferably the road not taken

3- Short story by IB Singer A Wedding In Brownsville

4-Steinbech- The Winter Of Our Discontent

5- any of the delightful mysteries by Van de Wetering- set in Holland about two cops who solve crimes while they who also ponder Zen philosophy,

Macbeth’s gotta be the most successful of all the Shakespeare plays onscreen, right? My favorite is Throne of Blood but i also liked the Fassbender version turning into a phantasmagorical hell-scape. I gotta seek out Welles’ version. Someone described it as “Shakespeare as Hammer horror.”
The BBC's version with Nicol Williamson is really good, especially due to the fact that you can actually imagine Williamson's Macbeth having a fight with someone . There was also a really good reinvention of the play with James McAvoy and Keeley Hawes with Macbeth as a Gordon Ramsay-style chef. The witches became bin men .

A Most Violent Year is almost a Macbeth adaptation. Chastain would own in the role.

Oh, man, someone should totally do Macbeth in a fictionalized Trump White House.
Apparently there's over 30 adaptions of Romeo and Juliet! I wonder how many of those have the characters as their actual ages...

But Macbeth had interpretations by Welles, Tarr and Polanski so there's that. It's the superior play in my opinion so I'm happy for it.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The count of Monte cristo. Would love one of those big budget hbo tv adaptions. The most recent movie, although had a nice jail scene was far to thin on content. Needs to be a mini series imo.

"Dalek" (an episode in series 1 of nu-who)

It packs so much tension, emotion, anger and horror in only 45 minutes. There's a moment where the 9th doctor just completely loses it his s**t and gives me chills every time. It's one of my favourite sci-fi stories and it's a shame they didn't let the daleks die for good.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Aki Kaurismaki does a good "Crime and Punishment" - which Hitchcock said was too difficult to make.
It's easy. Try Brothers Karamazov. Now that's a challenge.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
It's easy. Try Brothers Karamazov. Now that's a challenge.
Someone already tried that one.

"Dalek" (an episode in series 1 of nu-who)

It packs so much tension, emotion, anger and horror in only 45 minutes. There's a moment where the 9th doctor just completely loses it his s**t and gives me chills every time. It's one of my favourite sci-fi stories and it's a shame they didn't let the daleks die for good.
And the BBC almost didn't get to use them, that's the amazing thing. I loved what they did to make the machine look more manoeuvrable, and very like a tank in the way the upper section spun round. I can't remember the new Daleks looking that good since which is a shame.

Planet of the Daleks is my favourite .

The count of Monte cristo. Would love one of those big budget hbo tv adaptions. The most recent movie, although had a nice jail scene was far to thin on content. Needs to be a mini series imo.
Yes, another big favourite of mine. The Alan Badel series is the last version I watched and that was excellent.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Someone already tried that one.
Hollywood failed miserably. Zelenka triumphed, but the film is not your usual adaptation.