Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2018

→ in
Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Kes sounds so wonderful, I hope to see it soon, it really intrigued me.
I've always wanted to see that. I thought it was made much more recently. That's a surprise.

#32 - I, Tonya (2017) ~ February 25

Hell yeah!
This film tells the crazy story of Tonya Harding's ice skating career. It does it in what I can only describe as "the style of Goodfellas". There are constant voice overs, fourth wall breaks, freeze frames, cool match cuts, wild camera movements and there's just an allround visual energy that drives the film forward.
Very few films get the "Goodfellas style" right (Boogie Nights is the only film that was truly able to almost match it). I, Tonya does it right enough of the time though, and it makes for a wildly entertaining flick. It may not quite be in the same league as films like Goodfellas or Boogie Nights, but I enjoyed it immensely. Great theater experience!

#33 - Call Me By Your Name (2017) ~ February 27

This film captures the beauty of Lombardy perfectly and uses the attractive features of the environment to heighten the feeling of sensuality.
Gorgeous looking cinema.

I thought I, Tonya was just alright. I agree with the similarities to Goodfellas but i don't think it pulled it off that well. Also it didn't bother me until Citizen brought it up afterwards but it is pretty gross how Pro-Tonya it is, it's incredibly generous to the highly unlikely story Tonya claims and it even kinda blames Nancy for being a nice, likeable person that people took to.

Glad you liked Call Me By Your Name.

#34 - Breaking Away (1979) ~ March 3

I was watching cycling during the day on TV, so I decided to watch this film to remain in the mood. I loved it! It's a great 'feel good' sports film.

#35 - Cowards Bend the Knee or The Blue Hands (2003) ~ March 4

This was absolutely AMAZING.
I've watched some shorts by Maddin in the past, but this was my first feature length film of his. It was hard for me to imagine how he'd use the style of his shorts in a longer film and I wasn't totally sure that it could work, but it totally does.
This must be one of the most unique films I've ever seen. A very succesful watch and discovery for me. Can't wait to see some of his other feature length films!

I've always thought that Breaking Away is one of the most easy to like films out there.

I was already psyched to see I,Tonya and you pull out Goodfellas and Boogie Nights references lol.

#36 - Ride the High Country (1962) ~ March 5

A fantastic western about honor, naivety and cruelty.
Peckinpah's style is a little more restrained here than in his later pictures, but that doesn't mean that he's shying away from his usual dark subject matter.
This was my fifth film by Bloody Sam and my respect for his artistry only gets bigger.

#37 - The Shape of Water (2017) ~ March 9

The plot isn't the strongest I've ever witnessed, but as a film, this is a major accomplishment. The acting performances were really strong (Michael Shannon and Sally Hawkins are always great of course) and visually, it's truly an exceptional piece of work. It's also more daring than most mainstream monster films in its aggression and sexuality, which I personally appreciated. Atmospherically, it made me think a bit of the films of Jean-Pierre Jeunet.
Believe it or not, but this was only my first GDT experience. Looking forward to watching Pan's Labyrinth now.

I watched this alone in the theater, which definitely had a positive effect on my experience as well.

Shape Of Water is his best with Pan's not far behind. Skip the awful Pacific Rim. Don't think I liked it quite as much as you but visually it is perfect. Love that Richard Jenkins.

#38 - Black Sabbath (1963) [Italian version] ~ March 9

My first Bava!
Boris Karloff introduces us to three thriller/horror flicks. All three are beautifully colored, full of tension and creepiness and impeccably directed.
Definitely interested in seeing more Bava when I'm in the right mood.

Does anyone have any Bava recommendations?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Black Sunday
Blood and Black Lace
Planet of the Vampires
Danger: Diabolik
A Hatchet for the Honeymoon
A Bay of Blood
Rabid Dogs

or any of the others...

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Hope you end up watching Pan's Labyrinth, a review would make me go bananas. It's probably my favorite film of all time, any word I could say would undercut how wonderful I think that film is.

#39 - The Saddest Music in the World (2003) ~ March 10

What a spectacle! Isabella Rosselini (a filthy rich amputee who owns a bar and gets glass legs filled with beer somewhere halfway through the film) holds a contest to discover which nation has the saddest music in the world. A father and his two sons each represent a country in the contest: Canada, Serbia and The United States...
I am once again amazed by the sheer audacity and creativity of this Maddin picture. As long as there are artists like Guy Maddin working in cinema who are able to make feature length films, I think we're still doing pretty well.
After only two films, Maddin's feature length repertoire is already one of my dearest discoveries of 2018. I'll definitely check some more out, but I don't want to see them all at once. It's always better to absorb genius sporadically.

Does anyone have any Bava recommendations?
The only other one i've seen is Black Sunday, i liked that a lot more than Black Sabbath personally. Got Blood & Black Lace ready to watch soon.