Help ME Identif-I, Me, Myself, and...

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Nick name ideas:

Captain Asian Hunter

Captain Cutie Hugger

Beautiful Girl Hunter
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
My apologies for last night's wanderings.

Regarding your name, I really thought Captain Steele Dossier was funny when you mentioned it the other day. But that may be too timely and rooted in the now to be relevant in a few months. Though it will provide you an opportunity for a story for all those that unknowingly ask your name's origins! I've done that three times here alone to explain my name, and generally enjoy it so.... toss of a coin on that one.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Wow you sure got served a rough deal, Steel! I hope this new part of life is a bit more engaging for you.

If you dont mind me asking, and just tell me to buzz off if you dont feel like answering, how exactly did you get addicted to pain killers? My only experience with pain meds addiction is House on tv. I dont know anyone who has admitted to it.

Wow you sure got served a rough deal, Steel! I hope this new part of life is a bit more engaging for you.

If you dont mind me asking, and just tell me to buzz off if you dont feel like answering, how exactly did you get addicted to pain killers? My only experience with pain meds addiction is House on tv. I dont know anyone who has admitted to it.
I never mind answering personal questions, Dani.
My best bet is that everyone reading this knows someone who is popping, but have no idea that the person is using or is hopelessly hooked.

Like many, my story starts with an injury - in 1985, during a trip to Jamaica I went cliff diving at "Rick's Cafe." I was too scared to dive so I went feet first from about 70ft. I didn't keep myself straight, my legs came up and my head went back - so I landed in a seated position.

You can't believe what they show you in movies - hitting water the wrong way from a significant height is little different than hitting the ground. I had a giant bruise on the back of my legs and butt. That went away, but what didn't go away was my neck injury.

I went to 2 different chiropractors for 6 years. (Despite my neck being a lot better today, I've since decided to never have cervical adjustments again - they are too dangerous for that area of the spine and some data shows they can cause a type of stroke over time.)

It was actually my late friend Bill who gave me my first percocet - at a time I was out sick from work with a horrible neck spasm. I didn't think too much of them at the time - probably because I was only using them for an actual injury. He seemed to have a supply of them from various doctor visits and relatives he'd collect them from and we started using them recreationally.

In later years I developed actual slipped discs in my back (and have the MRI to prove it) - which became a convenient way to get more pills. It used to be I could just take them for pain or save them for a weekend, but now - if I have them, I will take one everyday until they're gone: that is addiction.

The supply however is not unlimited and they are very difficult to get - so when I finish a bottle I go through withdrawals and have to wait a couple months to try to convince the Dr. to prescribe more, but it appears with the epidemics of abuse and newer regulations, those days are coming to an end.

...I've since decided to never have cervical adjustments again - they are too dangerous for that area of the spine and some data shows they can cause a type of stroke over time.)...
Wise move.

My dad use to go to a chiropractor. The doctor liked to talk, alot...and told him about his father who had also been a chiropractor. I'm guessing it was in the 50s or 60s? Anyway his dad was adjusting a patients neck and he broke it, the patient died on the table.

I always thought that was bad business for the chiropractor to tell that story....I went once with my dad to have an adjustment, and that was enough! It's gross having somebody twisting your neck around.

Wise move.

My dad use to go to a chiropractor. The doctor liked to talk, alot...and told him about his father who had also been a chiropractor. I'm guessing it was in the 50s or 60s? Anyway his dad was adjusting a patients neck and he broke it, the patient died on the table.

I always thought that was bad business for the chiropractor to tell that story....I went once with my dad to have an adjustment, and that was enough! It's gross having somebody twisting your neck around.

Back in the 1950s it was considered quackery and many in the medical field opposed it. Psychical therapy is the way to heal and strengthen back and neck injuries, not jerking the body around until the spine makes a popping sound.
Yes. My first chiro hurt me a couple times - I don't mean the normal soreness or after pain associated with adjustments, but from cervical adjustments that went wrong. I called them misfires. (It seemed like they couldn't really mess up an adjustment on my lower spine).

I first remembered hearing about the danger of cervical adjustments on Alan Alda's Scientific American Frontiers (for anyone who remembers that show).

I never mind answering personal questions, Dani.
My best bet is that everyone reading this knows someone who is popping, but have no idea that the person is using or is hopelessly hooked.
Thanks for answering, mate. I'm popping but not sure I'm placed in the category of potential addict. Without a government authority these are 900 for a double pack and I doubt any addict is going to pay that although maybe. I dont even know what addicts experience when they stop these opiates cold turkey.

As for chiros, I saw them for years but always said if they touched my neck I'd kill them. I have fractures in my neck from an old injury but I've never had them treat my neck, and yes, I have heard of them breaking necks on the slab. No thanks.

My old karate teacher is a lecturer at University and I wouldnt even let him touch my neck but he was never a cruncher anywy. I started seeing a female chiro before xmas for chronic back pain and trusted her because she was one of his ex students. Well that was a huge mistake because some where along the track she became an old school cruncher. I knew I was in trouble the last treatment when I, someone with very high pain threshold, was screaming NO NO NO NO!!! She had to help me off the slab and into my car and how that neanderthal bitch let me drive home is beyond me. Thus started my 6 week holiday in hospital as an early present from santa and a lifetime of treatment at the hospital. Thankgod it's a good hospital and close by and my husband and wife team pharmacists will drop by after they close if I need but not much of a saving grace when I cant walk without a wheelie. I will NEVER see a chiropractor again, not that I blame her for this but if I saw her in the clinic carpark I would take much joy giving her five to the teeth.

As I said I'm not sure what it's like for recreational users but really glad you're off it. Must have got very exy. As for your other stuff and now having to move, all the best for you.

What on earth were these pet owners doing expecting you to look after their pets while you were going through so much family distress? I hope they were atleast paying you.

Alan Alda's Scientific American Frontiers (for anyone who remembers that show).
MASH Alan Alda? Not sure I have seen that but probably not, and not sure I want to see that to be honest.

What on earth were these pet owners doing expecting you to look after their pets while you were going through so much family distress? I hope they were atleast paying you.
Kind of a situation where no one else know what others were doing;
My parent's neighbor with a dog asked me to house sit with the dog thinking I'm at my parents all day anyway, but I'd have a private place to sleep nextdoor - sleep WITH the dog that is, that was the whole point of staying there - the dog can't sleep on it's own = spoiled.
Once I committed to that, another friend says he's got to go away for a couple weeks on business and could I stop in for his cat, so it wasn't far and I agreed.
Then this guy John (with 4 cats) has this medical emergency and is rushed from his work to the hospital - get called to take care of his cats (I'm the former landscaper and still have keys to the house) - but on THIS date, one cat has a Dr. appointment and I always remember driving around to different vets (because I didn't know the cat's current vet), carrying the cat carrier in the pouring rain. I finally found the right place, but then there was a 4-hour wait!

And that was just the beginning, John was in and out of the hospital, but he had a surgery on some sort of hernia rupture so he couldn't care for his cats no less himself. So I was taking care of his cats and him for almost 4 months - which overlapped my other pet care duties.

This all kind of got dumped on me at a time when I'd told John I was too tied up with my dad to nursemaid someone else, but he made no plans when he had a chance and just relied on me - which made me feel I'd had about enough of him.

Another confession why I didn't just tell John he was on his own:
1. I really couldn't leave him in the lurch while so helpless and trying to recover, and he was the widowed partner of my former friend, (they sent him home about 4 times after which he'd have to go back to the hospital due to hemorrhaging & to have this stomach pump thing checked - it had an awful alarm on it! They never should have sent him home the first three times, esp. when there was really no one there to care for him.)
2. I did care about his cats (I'm not a total beast)...
3. But here's the clincher - since he'd just had a major surgery, the doctors were loading him up with month's worth of percocet where he was allotted like 6 a day, but would only take 2 a day - and I was getting the scraps!

P.S. They did all pay and John paid in more than just more, but opioids!

MASH Alan Alda? Not sure I have seen that but probably not, and not sure I want to see that to be honest.
It was a great PBS science show (but yeah, a little difficult to watch Alan hosting it as an elderly man after growing up watching him play Hawkeye).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scient...ican_Frontiers

It was a great PBS science show (but yeah, a little difficult to watch Alan hosting it as an elderly man after growing up watching him play Hawkeye).
Oh No I didnt mean that. I couldnt watch the neck being broken. I cant even rewatch Jacob's Ladder (OK that part is not true but it does make me vomit) but I can watch Alan Alda any time.

As for your comment about you not being a beast, I didnt think you were. I was just curious why your friends were using you at such a tough time, but it's not the pets' fault and you would have understood that.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I'm sorry to hear that, Capitan. I wish you that all this experiences and changes bring something really good for you, coz you are great person and you deserve only for the best things in your life. I hope you will find some perfect place for you and get some rest after fighting with all this difficulties.
I keep my finger crossed.

Re: painkillers. It's always bothered me that people lump addiction to painkillers in with so many other substance addictions. Never seemed right, since it's something you might need, or be prescribed, or get hooked on almost out of necessity rather than as something elective or recreational. Seems like something good people can fall into easily.

Anyway, only advice I can give is to keep on going. Change is always scary, particularly if it feels like a step backwards, but we're all better at adjusting and making the best of things than we realize. When reality is simply dealt with directly, without complicated issues of pride or unneeded analysis about what a given change means or says or other big-picture questions like that, I think it becomes a lot more manageable. I hope you land on your feet.

2008 my pharmacuetical proofreading job ended
If I had that job, I would need pharmaceuticals.

If I had that job, I would need pharmaceuticals.
You know it!
Most of it was doing side by side comparisons of those inserts you get with prescription drugs - seeing if anything changed from one version to another.
It wasn't even regular proofreading (looking for grammatical errors) like you'd do for a book - and where you might still be able to pick up on a story in the process.
It was about the most tedious thing I've ever done - it really required a Zen-like attitude.

Luckily the work was usually (but not always) sporadic - so a lot of time was spent trying to "look busy." (see the movie Office Space).