Best Of The Year/Every Year

Tools    

Best Supporting Performances 2016

Actor: Honorable Mentions: Ben Foster and Jeff Bridges-Hell or High Water, Sam Neil-Hunt For The Wilderpeople, Mahershala Ali-Moonlight

The one I really loved though comes from a film that I want to love but keep thinking is just pretty good. Alden Ehenreich steals every scene he is in against some pretty huge names in Hail Caesar!

Actress Honorable Mentions: Rima Te Wiata-Hunt For The Wilderpeople Michelle Williams was great as always in both Manchester By The Sea and Certain Women.

I really loved Naomi Harris in Moonlight. I think her small amount of screen time brings great depth to the main character and helps generate much of the sympathy we have for him.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Best Actor

Here are my contending nominees:
Andrew Garfield- Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling- La La Land
Viggo Mortensen- Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington- Fences

Just like the Oscars laid it out (yeah, I'm mainstream)

But my winner is as obvious as any year will be:

And Casey gives one of my favorite performances of all time.

Best Actress

Here are my noises for Best actress in a leading role:
Amy Adams- Arrival
Marion Cotillard- Allied
Margot Robbie- Suicide Squad
Jennifer Lawrence- Passengers

But the top prize to nobody's surprise goes to: Emma Stone

Adams is fantastic and could have won in a bunch of other years for me. Like Casey, Emmas performance is amongst my favorites. And yes, I really did enjoy Robbie's Harley Quinn take. I know nobody else likes it, but that's what makes me unique

Best Lead Performances 2016

Male Lead Honorable Mentions: A lot of male performances I thought were great but I don't think there is one I truly love in 2016. Ryan Gosling became maybe my favorite comic actor in 2016 with La La Land and The Nice Guys. Garfield was very powerful in Silence. Really enjoyed Luis Gnecco in the other Larrain film from 2016 Neruda. Casey Affleck was excellent in Manchester By The Sea.

My vote goes to one of my favorites who never disappoints even when his films do. I didn't dislike Fences but I didn't love it either. What I did love was Denzel's performance as the broken father, one of his best.

Female Lead Honorable Mentions: Viola Davis in Fences, Elle Fanning in The Neon Demon, Ruth Negga in Loving all gave great performances. Pretty disappointed I am not giving the nod to Sasha Lane in American Honey but I had to be honest with myself.

Emma Stone has gone from being an actress I like to one I love and want to see everything she does. It started with Birdman, but La La Land sealed the deal and made her one of my favorites.

Ah, but would Viola have won your best supporting?
I don't even want to talk about it. Her in supporting was ridiculous...yeah, she would have.

I don't even want to talk about it. Her in supporting was ridiculous...yeah, she would have.
Hah, that's funny. But this does happen a lot I'd say it's a close call based on the fact of how centralized her character is in the story.

Top Ten Of 2016

I was as surprised as anyone at my favorite film in 2016. Shows the wonderful power of cinema that something you would totally expect to not like or be indifferent to can pop up and grab hold of you. Pretty great year with two films that are sure to be talked about by me for a long time.

10. The Infiltrator
9. Hunt For The Wilderpeople
8. The Lobster
7. Neruda
6. American Hioney
5. Manchester By The Sea
4. The Nice Guys
3. Hell Or High Water
2. Silence

Best Picture 2016 Raul Style

What a year for film, and that's without me yet seeing Silence or Hell or High Water

10. Passengers
9. Suicide Squad
8. Lion
7. Don't Breathe
6. Moana
5. Contratiempo
4. Hacksaw Ridge
3. Arrival
2. Manchester by the Sea

With number one being the same as Sean's

La La Land

This might just do nobody any good.
Cinematography 2016

1. Moonlight
2. The Witch
3. The Handmaiden
4. The Neon Demon
5. Arrival
6. Embrace of the Serpent

7. La La Land
8. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
9. Silence
10. Hail, Caesar!

Bonus: 20th Century Women

Raul's Recap

Best Picture La La Land
Best Actor Casey Affleck-Manchester by the Sea
Best Actress Emma Stone- La La Land
Best Supporting Actor-Lucas Hedges-Manchester by the Sea
Best Supporting Actress-Michelle Williams- Manchester by the Sea
Best Director-general Damien Chazelle-La La Land
Best Cinematography- La La Land
Best Script-Manchester by the Sea
Best Scene- Randi and Lee reunite-Manchester by the Sea

Dominated by top of my top 10 favorite movies of all time, sorry I didn't spread the love this go around.

Now we shall go unto 2015!

I'm just going to do the acting and best film ones from now on. Mines were:

Best Film: American Honey
Best Actor: Dave Johns - I, Daniel Blake
Best Actress: Sasha Lane - American Honey
Best Supporting Actress: Hayley Squires - I, Daniel Blake
Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali - Moonlight

2016 is a year i really have to dig into.

Sean's Recap

Best Picture La La Land
Best Actor Denzel Washington-Fences
Best Actress Emma Stone- La La Land
Best Supporting Actor-Alden Ehrenreich-Hail Ceasar!
Best Supporting Actress-Naomi Harris-Moonlight
Best Director-Martin Scorsese-Silence
Best Cinematography- Silence
Best Script-Hell Or High Water
Best Scene- Audition-La La Land