New Emoticons

Tools    

Aha! I found the animated ones I chucked together. I can remove the backgrounds from those and make them workable.
They'll all be matching shades as well.

@Chypmunk

The Whistle one, with transparent background and matched shading

Dig. I think this is the right way to spruce them up: generally keeping most of the colors and styles, but tweaked slightly to go a little better together.

I am a big fan of them being easy to spot at a glance based on stark color differences; I was on a site awhile ago where they were ALL the same pale yellow, and it was really weird. And the most common ones are, I think, made in something very close to the same style already (I'm sure some were probably by the same person), but there are a handful I've added over the years that are a little different, and if they can be made a little more like the rest, I'm all for it.

Ah, it would appear I can't make animated gifs with transparent backgrounds

I have redone those other two new ones I put together though.
Angel

And Smug

Spotted 2 others... the black and white versions of the Confused Smiley.
Again, shade matched and crisped up

Edited the eyes as well a little.

Black:
White:

The Whistle one, with transparent background and matched shading

Kewl .... ta ever so

We should probably have a place where these are organized; right now I'm not sure which are done, which are works in progress, etc.

FWIW, in most cases I like the existing colors and don't want to change them much (I prefer the "deeper" versions of most colors, even though I realize that's a seeming push back on what I said about distinctiveness). The #1 thing I wish I could do with any smilie is get it down in size. Unfortunately many cannot be fit on a normal text line, but any instances where it's possible to convey a similar feel or emotion at the height of a "regular" smilie would be the biggest benefit, to me. But I think that's only possible in some instances and the degree of difficulty is quite high, too.

Ah, I've been matching the sizes of the ones I'm messing with to the existing size of MoFo's.
Any smaller and the detail would be lost tbh.

Sorry, I might have said that in a confusing way. I meant that, while I dig the idea of matching shades, the #1 thing I've always wanted to do is reduce the number of taller/larger smilies. It was just an aside, not something I'm even sure can be meaningfully done (and definitely not in most cases).

Anyway, I'm a little swamped ATM with podcast editing and some other stuff, so if you can organize what's done, what's not, what's iterative, etc, that'd help. Also, just in advance, don't be offended if I'm picky and/or wanna keep something close to most original colors. I fear change and I shall keep my bushes.

no probs.

Basically the ones I've just posted are done.

I had a look at animated ones with clear backgrounds, but for some reason I can get them to render unless there's a white/black/whatever coloured background on them.
Seems it's a little out of my skillset to make them.

But yeah, the ones I posted today with transparent backgrounds are finished and basically ready to be picked and chosen

Just today's posts. They all have the transparent backgrounds. The rest all have white and are BMP images.

Got it. Okay, when I get home in a couple of hours I'll take a look at the changes up close. I'll probably upload at least a few as replacements. Thanks.

'replacements'

:imaginarywhistlingemoji:

Okay, been uploading some of these. Bashful was a clear improvement, so I did that first. I'm looking at the shading stuff: it definitely looks good and consistent, but my quandary is that I like the sheen effect on most of them, so I'm trying to balance that against the desire to have them be more uniform (which I guess was the idea, because some of them are missing that sheen?).

Oh, I added too, but I noticed the whistle noise line is white and only shows up on white BGs. Dunno if you have a dark one for things like shouts or the chat.