Frankenhooker 1990 6 / 10

"A medical student sets out to recreate his decapitated fiancée
by building her a new body made of Manhattan street prostitutes."

The Future (Miranda July, 2011)

It's not orange after all, just rather grey and drab

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Rings

(F. Javier Gutiérrez)

Eating dinner with my in-laws over Easter weekend. Stepping on a Lego barefoot in the middle of the night. Get out of my warm bed and step on a cold floor. Take a dump at a girl's house, then discover there is no toilet paper. Sleep over at a friend's house and accidentally piss myself. These are the things I would rather do than watch Rings.

That darn tape is at it again, this time it goes viral.

Rings is an incoherent, inconsistent mess of a film. The original, Ringu, was scary because of the low-fi aspect to the horror. It's an outdated media source, a VHS tape that shows you horrifying images. Then a little girl calls you saying 7 days, then she finally crawls out of a TV to kill you. That is terrifying and the remake managed to capture most of that inspiration. Now we have to update it, we just have to, kids these days won't want to go see a film about a killer VHS tape. Now we have .mov files that kill people. Who is 'hot' right now? Leonard from Big Bang Theory? Let's throw him in, but lose the glasses and give him some scruff. Yeah, we want him to look cool.

I should have known, I really should have known after the opening sequence on the plane that it was a bad idea to continue watching this train wreck. A poorly executed opening deals with a guy who spells out the entire premise of the movie to a stranger on plane. "I look worried and like crap because I watched this film with bad images on it, then got a phone call saying I'll die in seven days....that was exactly seven days ago!!!" I want to say that I'm paraphrasing, but that quote is 95% accurate. He runs to the bathroom with a bleeding nose and the stranger tells her friend that the guy is crazy. But no, her friend watched it too. She knows what he is going through and runs to ask him if he copied the tape and showed it to anyone. I guess not. Every screen flickers and changes to the well. Even at 30+ thousand feet, you are not safe.

The film then takes the detective route of cursed people trying to find the answers. This is a bad rehash of the first film, adding nothing more to the mythology or the horror. This is a film that wants to cash in on the brand name but doesn't understand the consumer. I haven't seen The Ring 2, but this is worse. This is a film that has no idea where it wants to go, how to get there, who will be along for the ride or what vehicle it will be taking. Rings is bad, it's appallingly bad. I need to stop this review now before I get an aneurysm.

Suspect's Reviews

American Assassin (2017)

+

I thought this was a pretty entertaining action film. There's terrorists, the mafia, plutonium, multiple countries, and a hammy performance from Michael Keaton. I liked it as much or more than the John Wick movies.

Paddington 2

This is simply a better sequel than the original.

Thing I didn't enjoy:
- Plot hole
- Lazy writing
- Predictable

Overall a pleasant movie to watch with family.

Final rating:

Padman

Watched this newly released Indian movie with my wife at the local theatre, despite few flaws, this movie is a fun watch.

The speech at the end of the movie is a quite powerful scene, I saw many audience rubbing their eyes.

Not going to say too much about the story, my recommendation for you is give this movie a chance.

Bollywood movie rocks. (I am not Indian.)

Final rating:

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Very different from others episodes about Wolverine, but as I read, it was made like that on purpose. I wouldn't say it became my fav part, but I appreciate underscore of human element of Wolverine.
Hugh Jackman has been playing Wolverine for eighteen years. I couldn't imagine another actor, who will be his successor in this role.
It sad this is good bye

Secrets & Lies (Mike Leigh, 1996)

Families eh!

Copying Beethoven

Pseudo-historical piece set around the composition of Beethoven's 9th Symphony in the 1820s. Stale feeling to it, with stilted performances & irritating melodrama. Always strange to see 19th Century Germans & Austrians talking in English with faux accents, why not try a film in... German? Plus central character Anna Holtz completely made up, so wtf. Nicely poignant scene where, at the end of the permiere performance, a deaf Beethoven perceives just the muffled rumblings and thuddings of the audience's applause & cheering.

The World's Most Dangerous Man
Fruitvale Station. I chose it because I plan on seeing Black Panther soon and I loved Creed, so I wanted to see more from Ryan Coogler.

It was a good movie. 7-8/10. Nothing extraordinary, but the acting was good, the story was a true story and it's fairly short, so it won't steal a lot of your time. I liked it and I'm looking even more forward to watching Black Panther now.

If Black Panther lives up to the hype, then Coogler will certainly have established himself as one of the most interesting directors in the world, IMO.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm NEVER watching Mickey Mouse again....
He certainly doesn't look like someone in black face. ..black ears maybe. All the characters in the early cartoons have gloves on.

A very solid noir. The plot is very engaging and has loads of twists and turns you’d never expect. Some brilliant shots and direction from Orson, as to be expected. The action picks up quickly in the second half, making it a lot better than the first. The court scene is a roller coaster of intensity. The finale in the amusement park was fantastic. Orson’s super fake Irish accent is annoying at the start but you get used to it.

Unfortunately, this has a ton of flaws. Hayworth’s character is a complete stone. She has no character or personality whatsoever. She could’ve been placed into a comedic parody film and I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. She only ever has two facial expressions throughout the entire film: Complete neutrality or concern. I’m guessing this was all because she was only intend to be the ‘sexy poster girl’.

This film is in desperate need of restoration (Maybe they’ve done it already, I dunno I saw this on TV). The sound design is very bad, it’s way too obvious to see when Hayworth has dubbed over her lines, in some scenes she delivers her lines in a way that would be impossible for her to do considering the scene. Character’s audio can be heard very clearly when they are very far away, random bits of film are sped up for no reason, the broken glass effect goes out of frame in the final scene etc. I’m sure this could all be fixed with some hard work.

You may be wondering why I’m rating this so highly despite all the criticisms I’ve given; Well, I rate films on how much I enjoyed them, not on their technical level.

Ten Cents A Dance (Lionel Barrymore & Edward Buzzell, 1931)

Ms. Stanwyck elevates it above a dime a dozen movie

[Lady from Shanghai (1947)]

A very solid noir. The plot is very engaging and has loads of twists and turns you’d never expect. Some brilliant shots and direction from Orson, as to be expected. The action picks up quickly in the second half, making it a lot better than the first. The court scene is a roller coaster of intensity. The finale in the amusement park was fantastic. Orson’s super fake Irish accent is annoying at the start but you get used to it.

Unfortunately, this has a ton of flaws. Hayworth’s character is a complete stone. She has no character or personality whatsoever. She could’ve been placed into a comedic parody film and I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. She only ever has two facial expressions throughout the entire film: Complete neutrality or concern. I’m guessing this was all because she was only intend to be the ‘sexy poster girl’.

This film is in desperate need of restoration (Maybe they’ve done it already, I dunno I saw this on TV). The sound design is very bad, it’s way too obvious to see when Hayworth has dubbed over her lines, in some scenes she delivers her lines in a way that would be impossible for her to do considering the scene. Character’s audio can be heard very clearly when they are very far away, random bits of film are sped up for no reason, the broken glass effect goes out of frame in the final scene etc. I’m sure this could all be fixed with some hard work.

You may be wondering why I’m rating this so highly despite all the criticisms I’ve given; Well, I rate films on how much I enjoyed them, not on their technical level.

I agree with your points. "Shanghai" is my 4th favorite of Welles directed films, and I placed it at #13 on the Top 25 of the 1940s list.

The film has a strange feel to it, I think a darkness insisted upon by Welles. The story was compelling, if a little far fetched.

You're right about Hayworth's performance as Mrs. Bannister. She did seem distant, although she and Welles had recently become estranged in real life. The platinum hair didn't help. But her role was almost a background against her husband and the story. Welles and Everett Sloane had worked together a lot, and obviously felt very comfortable with each other. Sloane was superb.

The technical stuff was first rate and remarkable, especially for 1947. And of course the mirror scene in the fun house was one of the all time greats, copied many times since. Great editing work!

~Doc

I think the idea about Mickey Mouse being based on Al Jolson might have come from this. This is Leonard Maltin talking about an upcoming release of Mickey Mouse shorts back in 2002, where he also talks about censorship:

In his introductions, Maltin also puts into historical context some politically incorrect scenes -- a few sequences, for example, satirize Al Jolson's blackface routines -- in the early Mickey Mouse cartoons. Maltin was glad that Disney included those cartoons unedited.
"They understood that it made sense to do it this way, especially in a set that is so clearly aimed at collectors and Disney buffs as well as kids," Maltin says. "I think this is the right way to do it, not to censor, not to chop, but set it in the proper context and let people judge for themselves."
"We didn't want to put them out just naked without some type of explanation," Chapek notes.
Maltin also explains in the introductions that the characters in the Mickey Mouse cartoons often smoke, drank and even spit tobacco, and that the humor was often crude by today's standards.
"The people making these were not sophisticated people," Maltin says. "Walt was not a sophisticated person. I think he became one, but he wasn't [early in his career] and neither were his colleagues. A lot of them came from simple backgrounds. I call it barnyard humor and that was their stock in trade. Showing someone's long johns and pantaloons was funny stuff."

The link to the page is here and it's the only connection I could find about Mickey and Al Jolson:

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec...nment/et-king3