Swan's 2018 Film Diary

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Shut up loser.
Rude.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

12 Strong -

(Nicolai Fuglsig, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

An entirely serviceable way to spend two hours but unfortunately never becomes more than that. I didn't expect to like it at all though so I was pretty pleasantly surprised to see it was a decent movie. I have noticed that aside from action that is particularly special, my appreciation for action in cinema tends to go hand in hand with whether or not I'm invested in the characters. See, the action in this film is entirely fine - not Jackie Chan amazing, but definitely competent technically - and if I was engaged with the people involved I would have liked it more than I did. Unfortunately, my mind wandered during the action setpieces. Still, it's a story worth being told. Just think it could have been told better. My favorite part of it was Dostum and his dialogue, which were at times kind of eye-opening for me to be honest (specifically thinking of his speech about the afterlife).

Black Panther -

(Ryan Coogler, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

I liked this a lot but not as much as I wanted to. Maybe that has to do with my problems with Marvel though. I love Ryan Coogler, dude is a boss, but didn't feel his fingerprints on this enough. Maybe that's just me. I will revisit it soon in theaters, hopefully with lower expectations.

The 15:17 to Paris -

(Clint Eastwood, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Possibly the absolute worst film I’ve ever seen. The Greatest Showman? A masterpiece. House of 1000 Corpses? An auteuristic triumph. Uwe Boll? Give that man an Oscar. This film is a bafflingly incompetent, embarrassingly gross joke of a film that gives cinema a bad name.
Awtch. Probably won't watch it myself, but I was suspecting this.

Eastwood's latest work shouldn't make us look differently on his impressive earlier films, though. The man is 88(!) after all...

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I generally liked 12 Strong, but we have the same issues with it. I adored Black Panther, that's too bad it was disappointing to you.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how much you liked Creed. I think it's the second best in the series behind the original Rocky.

My review of Fruitvale Station.

The 15:17 to Paris isn't the worst movie I've ever seen. (Hell, it's not even the worst movie I watched this month. That would be Winchester, which I wouldn't have seen had you not given it a positive rating. My buddy wanted to see something, but the pickings are slim at my local cinema, so I recommended Winchester despite the terrible reviews. We even toked on the way there, thinking that'd enhance the experience, but still found the movie boring and lame as hell, with some of the most egregiously cheap jump scares in recent memory.) I find it impressive that Eastwood is even able to use the bathroom by himself at this point, so I have nothing but respect for the guy still getting out and directing films at his age. Since Gran Torino, however, his films have ranged from terrible to mediocre, and 15:17 to Paris is the worst of his career. Nobody could've saved that script, but its awfulness is made so much more glaring by having amateur actors with no talent or screen presence in the lead roles. A few people actually got up and walked out during my screening.

I think Fast Times at Ridgemont High is the best high school movie ever made. It's a big favorite of mine. Not only does it feature a great soundtrack and plenty of laughs and memorable characters, but it also isn't afraid to touch on some of the more serious issues people deal with at that age. I'm also pretty sure that it's the movie I've spilled the most seed to, although surprisingly that's more because of Jennifer Jason Leigh's nude scene than Phoebe Cates's iconic emergence from the pool.

House of 1000 Corpses? An auteuristic triumph.
I'm glad you finally saw the error of your ways.

For the record, I was kidding and still think House of 1000 Corpses is complete try-hard crap.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
A few people actually got up and walked out during my screening.
Maybe it was the smell of the bong water that you tossed on your friend, Spaulding!

I'm still pretty surprised by the negative reviews Winchester has gotten. It's not that great of a movie but it's worse offense is being average, not bad. I found myself entertained personally. I can understand it is probably worse than I give it credit for, but I also wonder if it's better than the haters give it credit for. At the end of the day, we're probably all thinking too much about this film. I probably won't ever see it again. Had a good time when I did though!

City of God -

(Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund, 2002)

[REWATCH]

I haven't seen this since I was around 17. It was like watching a whole new movie.

There is only one thing in this movie that I am not crazy about. There is a twist to one of the side-stories near the end that feels relatively contrived compared to the natural organic quality of the rest of the storytelling and filmmaking. Even then, it's an important moment and a necessary one, so I can't really criticize it for being anything other than a little awkward in the pacing.

Other than that, I love everything about this movie. It's a film that embraces imperfections more than probably any other film I've seen. But even with the crazy, imperfect camerawork and chaotic storytelling, there is a lot of technical mastery to it all. It is absolutely transcendent filmmaking and film storytelling, to me. It has a lot of style but the style compliments what's going on with the characters so well that you get absorbed in what's going on anyway.

My favorite part was the transition from Lil Dice to Lil Ze (the short montage that the pic above is from). It's brief but stunning, and gave me goosebumps.

City of God -

(Fernando Meirelles & Kátia Lund, 2002)
Very good fillum, solid 8.5 bordering on a 9 for me. Real shame it won't be allowed in the 'Directed By Women' countdown ..... would've been a lock for a place in my 25.

I'm still pretty surprised by the negative reviews Winchester has gotten. It's not that great of a movie but it's worse offense is being average, not bad. I found myself entertained personally. I can understand it is probably worse than I give it credit for, but I also wonder if it's better than the haters give it credit for. At the end of the day, we're probably all thinking too much about this film. I probably won't ever see it again. Had a good time when I did though!
I'm seeing it for Helen and the architecture. I dont expect scary movies these days to be scary in the least so hoping I also have a good time, swany.

Very good fillum, solid 8.5 bordering on a 9 for me. Real shame it won't be allowed in the 'Directed By Women' countdown ..... would've been a lock for a place in my 25.
Why isnt it eligible?

It was co-directed with a man and Iro ruled against those.
Ah rightyo. Thanks. I havent seen it yet. Any good?

Ah rightyo. Thanks. I havent seen it yet. Any good?
I like it a lot. It's about kids living in a crime ridden favela so it's not the most pleasant, although it's a lot more Hollywood and less depressing than the similar Pixote if you've seen that. Entertaining film you'd probably like it.

I like it a lot. It's about kids living in a crime ridden favela so it's not the most pleasant, although it's a lot more Hollywood and less depressing than the similar Pixote if you've seen that. Entertaining film you'd probably like it.
I havent seen that yet either but it's on my list. I shoot a lot of kids when I'm taking street photography on my travels. Just doing kid stuff. So yes, a different world, and I'm not talking country there, so I probably would like both of them. I loved the kid scenes in Slumdog fo kids just mucking about. Good memories, but a lot would disagree with me and that's understandable.

Mom and Dad -

(Brian Taylor, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

The only really good thing about this movie is Cage, who is kind of brilliantly hilarious with his performance. He's just bonkers and I found myself howling with laughter often when he was on screen. I mean that in a good way - I like Cage. But other than that, this is a good concept that simply doesn't deliver the goods. I was waiting for it to pay off but it just kept teasing.

Carrie -

(Brian De Palma, 1976)

[REWATCH]

Some great performances and, frankly, one of the best finales in horror cinema history. Fascinating depiction of repression. Most of us knew a girl like Carrie White in high school, and that is what the filmmakers (and King with his book) are betting on.

Elephant -

(Gus Van Sant, 2003)

[REWATCH]

An interesting experiment by Van Sant. If he was trying to make the audience feel uncomfortable and unsettled by the end, he did his job. I like how the film spends much of the time letting us soak in the environment of the school, and I think it makes the final gut punch more effective. However, it does feel slightly derivative of it's influences. Maybe that's simply because the style stands out, though.