What anime are you currently watching?

Tools    

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Great Teacher Onizuka. I'm enjoying both of them but some of the creepy rapeyness of GTO does bother me.
the manga was pretty crazier

I can probably count on one hand the number of anime movies/tv I've watched, but after finally seeing Vampire Hunter D I was looking around Netflix and saw Castlevania. Has anyone else watched it?
I haven't seen Castlevania.

She looks cool... but I noticed a lot of screenshots in google images have no background.

Anyway, Vampire Hunter D is a masterpiece. If you enjoyed that check out Darkside Blues.

Myself I just finished Made in Abyss. Next I'm planning to watch Texnolyze and The Flag.

Pupa -

Worst. Dumb. Garbage. Simply liven up it reputation

Just beyond horrible, appaling, a huge gigantic bull****, one that regret to waste for. Just dont!

Mononoke -

As episodic as it was, some part was interesting, some just no, or so and so. Like some piece of arts, mis en scene through, tho' the style wich relied heavily on editing and rich of angle as emphasizers could made some jaded.
I love the presence of main character with his stoic, calm demeanor attitude. As expected the finale not a let down so it was fine.

I can probably count on one hand the number of anime movies/tv I've watched, but after finally seeing Vampire Hunter D I was looking around Netflix and saw Castlevania. Has anyone else watched it?
That's American cartoon actually. It is heavily inspired by Japanese cartoons but not exactly one of them.

I am watching:

Very nice light slice of life stuff. What I like the most about Japanese fiction is it's "nishijou" quality which I don't see that often in Western fiction.

Also watching: Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san

Currently watching:
Osomatsu-san 2nd season

So far it's not as bright as first season -which not that bright either- nonetheless still satisfy by, fresh take of gag shows with lot of commentaries/reference for recent trend and pop culture-
Also this show probably have one the best voice acting in current years as how it strongly differentiated each characters of the sextuplets

I'm quite into anime lately and following many shows this season, but so far my top5 is:

5. After the rain - Koi wa Ameagari no you ni

This is probably the most bound to be divisive due to its main theme, but from minute one I was surprised by how... well, nonchalant and quiet it was about it. There is certainly an element of conflict and introspection that has been set for exploration, which I hope doesn't disappoint, but for the most part it has been the story of a crush so far, and a particularly embellished and endearing one. The color palette and the visual enhancement in general are great and both main characters are very likeable in their own way; it is kind of lacking in side characters but I don't know if this will have a noticeable effect in the prospects of the show.

4. Hakumei to Mikochi

The first proper slice of life in this list, in a season filled with slice of life; and probably the most literal at it, since it's divided in standalone storylines that show aspects of the main characters' lives. The tone is mellow and inviting, the characters are very likeable and have great and fun dynamics, but above all the appeal of this show lies in its worldbuilding. And not particularly due to how detailed it is, despite there is a reasonable amount of detail. But rather because of the attitude of the show towards the viewer. There is not a strong sense of naturality compared to other SOLs of the season but it is not needed. It appeals to and invites the audience. Watching this show feels like sitting near a campfire and listening to a storyteller. It is so welcoming, and it has that kind of appeal of oral narrative that makes it fascinating to me. The watercolor-like textures only add to this atmosphere.

3. Violet Evergarden

This was hyped to no end, due to how insanely well it looked in the previews, but in terms of story it has revealed to be more divisive than expected, focusing on a narrative that not everybody is going to find interesting and with a pace that seems like a slow burn that takes pride on deviating from the main point while featuring a gradual background development of the main character. The animation and in general the visual direction is amazing, much in the expected way for KyoAni, with a lot of subtle visual narrative that only adds complexity; and the post-WW I-like setting is unique and delivers pretty well. I happen to be quite fascinated with the story as well, particularly because it reminds me of classic melodramas, with the focus on aesthetics and introspection. The first episode was a blast, I would probably place it in my top5 all-time anime episodes with no hesitation. The rest haven't resonated that much but I'm certainly loving it.

2. A place further than the universe - Sora yori mo tooi basho

This one took a while to fully appreciate. Not that it's any bad because from the beginning you can sense that the visual direction, the character dynamics, and etc. are not only way above average but seem pretty refreshing and feel unique. However it was more promising than good, due to its prospects of the main future event. Surprisingly though, it has been taking its time to reach that point, and in the meanwhile, it has been further emphasizing on its main appeal, the friendship of four girls who all behave and interact with each other in ways that feel very organic and filled wit chemistry. This is an anime original, it is directed by a woman, and I feel that it brings a perspective to its all-female cast that heavily differentiates itself from the mainstream and doesn't seem tied by conventions. The latest episode made me legit cry, and it has only grown from the very beginning to this point to cement its position as a seasonal favorite.

1. Laid-back Camp - Yuru Camp△

Okay, so how do I start talking about this show? It took me by complete surprise. I had big expectations of the above four, but I was only mildly interested on this one, as a series I would probably give a try to but only in case it was well-received. I changed my mindset at random and I'm so glad I did.

It seems difficult to explain the lasting quality a series as simple and seemingly uneventful as Yuru Camp△ holds. It is a show about girls camping. Literally. And this doesn't seem to aim for a conflict or a major narrative development aside from Rin opening up to camping with friends and her growing friendship and connection with Nadeshiko. However, at what it does, it's simply one of the best. Every episode has put a smile in my face during its entire run, every scene feels so warm and cozy and this may seem a rather simple purpose but after five episodes of such healing experience it becomes evident that things are not that simple or easy.

To put it simply, Yuru Camp△ does everything well. Insanely well. It has characters who can certainly be labeled as schematic and stereotypical, but the narrative treats them with care and makes them trascend. Rin is the typical introvert, but she has a close friend, she is honest with her own feelings, and she has empathy and is concerned about appearing too dry or menacing. Nadeshiko is stupid and enthusiastic, but she understands and respects the boundaries other people set for themselves. They are characters who don't feel limited by the stereotype. They build organic relationships, they understand things and don't feel like they are trapped in their own bubble of quirks and asocial behaviour. I'd like to put emphasis on Rin particularly due to how noteworthy it is that such an introverted girl with a love for loneliness and a seeming distaste for being around many people can resonate so much and so well in every routine action she takes; particularly in her solo camping, which clearly sets a scenario to express herself freely with no concern for other people watching or judging her. The way she reacts to things and plays with the environment is so organic and natural, and a delight to watch. The frequent text conversations featured in this series also allow to highlight this difference in how confident she looks in contrast with a direct confrontation. And I can't even begin to emphasize how much does the content of these text exchanges resonate; in a field that hardly ever is portrayed in a way that feels natural this has delivered every single time.

But what about the aesthetics. The background music, the opening and ending songs fit the mood perfectly every single time. It has the best use of soundtrack I've seen in the entire season, it perfectly complements and adds to the mood. In terms of visuals, this show needed a somehow different focus on them because it deals with outdoors environments. Backgrounds and open scenarios are a constant in the series and the characters are rarely trapped in a room. So this had to be handled with special care. And yes, it does. It may seem surprising due to the amount of legit strong contenders and the fact this is made by a new and barely known studio, but out of the shows I'm watching this one has the best visual direction of the season. And not by a slight margin. The choice of colors and lighting is mesmerizing and effectively conveys the mood of each scenario, the beauty of a nice landscape or the warmth of chilling and eating in a tent at night. The face expressions are always on point, fluid and combine well with the rest of the visual elements. The animation, while certainly not as gorgeous and fluid as Violet Evergarden can be, is still great and way above average, taking special attention to routine aspects that perfectly fit the slice of life feel of the story. But where it truly excels is in the framing. This series has a special need for this because of the outdoors scenario and it's an element that defines the interactions of the characters, and the way it understands space and position of the characters, the way it communicates through this, is something that has consistently fascinated me from episode one. To put an example from the latest episode:

Even in close shots there is a powerful sense of immersion, the surrounding environment is taken into account and the characters feel part of it and react accordingly.

In addition to this, the comedic timing is on point and it uses both visual context and sound to great effect. And the characters are treated with respect and care in every aspect including the designs, the shots and the writing itself. Heck, it features the first hot springs scene I remember in a long while that doesn't feel fanservicey, pandering or plain uncomfortable to watch at all.

4. Hakumei to Mikochi

The first proper slice of life in this list, in a season filled with slice of life; and probably the most literal at it, since it's divided in standalone storylines that show aspects of the main characters' lives. The tone is mellow and inviting, the characters are very likeable and have great and fun dynamics, but above all the appeal of this show lies in its worldbuilding. And not particularly due to how detailed it is, despite there is a reasonable amount of detail. But rather because of the attitude of the show towards the viewer. There is not a strong sense of naturality compared to other SOLs of the season but it is not needed. It appeals to and invites the audience. Watching this show feels like sitting near a campfire and listening to a storyteller. It is so welcoming, and it has that kind of appeal of oral narrative that makes it fascinating to me. The watercolor-like textures only add to this atmosphere.
I actually bought the manga in Japanese but I am waiting to read it as I need to improve my Japanese. I guess I should watch the TV version before reading the manga version, since if I know the story I will understand it better.

^^Look like there some interesting titles lately. Been a while havent check recent seasons intensively

Currently i stumbled on some vintage series that's leisurely found in youtube.

Maison Ikoku

actually, a really light show to follow. put off by the length and other tenant character really annoying as hell. also not fond delving with romance right now

Urusei Yatsura

These show kinda has taste of satire and social commentary, idk. Lot of bizarre comedic situation, just, i wont argue but there this feel of obsolescent. Also the series is just too long to commit. wonder with that length as there must be development throughout just cant be bothered right now

Excel Saga

not straightly old one, yet. for these over convoluted, mess of bizarrenees cult show, the comedies just kinda hit and miss. only when it strike once at the time one doesnt simply to stop laughing. I guess i'll keep stick for more episodes

Future Boy Conan

Okay. These show definitely gonna be great. early episodes already buoyed me into. bravura in the early time of miyazaki(and co)

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

I bought the first issue of a manga called The Devil is a Part-Timer. I told my co-worker about and she told me that she and her husband have watched the anime. So naturally I checked Crunchyroll and lo and behold, they have it! I started it and have watched the first two episodes so far.

The story: The Devil and his four generals have lost a battle to take over Ente Isle. Satan and his most loyal general Alciel decide to escape to Earth. However, they've taken on the forms of late teenagers and on top of that, they barely have any powers left. To survive, Satan and Alciel change their names and Satan, now called Sadao Maou, gets a part-time at MgRonald's restaurant. His past comes back to haunt him when the hero, Emilia, has also arrived in Japan under the identity of Emi Yusu, a call center operator. Hilarious so far!

City Hunter

Somehow the first Episode already take my nerve. There's lot of fun in Jackie chan's live action version than these, just feeling. Not gonna give more chance :/ nope

Ima, soko ni iru boku

This kinda clumsy over the top in the first episode. I started because of it sound like near with future boy conan. is this the cliche that bothered me or them edgyness who knows. Let's see if i can stand some more.

Chibi Maruko-Chan

despised this show, since i was a kid. Feel just too girlish.. childish(yeah), languid, just not funny at all. Not help when i compared with more hilarious shows like crayon shinchan or tensai bakabon and even doraemon, back then. must swallow the truth that my opinion and perseptive has changed, like since when that happen idk xD.

It's just no wonder katsuhito ishii's the taste of tea also inspired by these-one of the reason spark my curiosity back-. Not sure i will ever catch all episode(140s) , but it's not my intention for short term. to realize is more that enough right now

I was just recently thinking about how I've missed watching anime series. Anyone have any recommendations for short (i.e. 1 maybe 2 seasons, self-contained) series?

Previously enjoyed Tatami Galaxy, Stein's Gate, Planetes, Welcome to the NHK, and other single season anime.

I had been planning on watching Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, that any good?

I was just recently thinking about how I've missed watching anime series. Anyone have any recommendations for short (i.e. 1 maybe 2 seasons, self-contained) series?

Previously enjoyed Tatami Galaxy, Stein's Gate, Planetes, Welcome to the NHK, and other single season anime.
pretty recommended from me
kino no tabi
mushishi
serial experiment lain
seirei no moribito
seikimatsu occult gakuin
robotics notes
darker than black

Texhnolyze

kaiba
paranoia agent

I had been planning on watching Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, that any good?
I left it unfinished. It kinda revolve around flashback of a character and involved bromance that is just bore me out. But for encouragement, the show got clean animation and i think the writing is not bad-against my preference-. i do feel that actually the traditional performing art of rakugo as the base of the story quiet intriguing tbh

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@Ms. M, an interesting title, don't you think?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.