Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2018

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
#19 - The Florida Project (2017) ~ January 30

Wow, what a great film. Instant top 3 of 2017 for me! Intelligent, beautiful and humane filmmaking. Can't wait to see what Sean Baker will come up with next.
That's awesome! Glad I'm not alone, it's definitely in my top 5 from this year and possible top 3 (my top 5 is very hard to order)

The Florida Project is my favourite from 2017 so far. Still got a lot i want to see though.
It might be my favorite as well so far. It's hard to compare with a film like The Killing of a Sacred Deer, though, which would be the other major contender. Knowing myself, I expect Phantom Thread to top both of them, but it won't be easy for other films to satisfy me as deeply as The Florida Project did.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My five are Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, Shape of Water, Florida Project and Darkest Hour. Very hard to order because they are literally all different types of films.

It might be my favorite as well so far. It's hard to compare with a film like The Killing of a Sacred Deer, though, which would be the other major contender. Knowing myself, I expect Phantom Thread to top both of them, but it won't be easy for other films to satisfy me as deeply as The Florida Project did.
Haven't seen The Killing of a Sacred Deer yet, will do soon. What was the other as you said it's in your top three of the year?

Haven't seen The Killing of a Sacred Deer yet, will do soon. What was the other as you said it's in your top three of the year?
The Meyerowitz Stories

#20 - A New Leaf (1971) ~ February 6

Great comedy that uses the hilarity and sweetness of 'compensation' to win the heart and the laughter of the viewer.

"Henrietta, I'm not going to teach History. Probably."

Perfection.

#21 - The Yakuza (1974) ~ February 6

A massively powerful script by Schrader and Towne that is beautifully translated to the screen by Pollack. The film captures the essence of westernized Japan and deals with Japan's WWII trauma in its own unique neo-noirish way.
My kind of film!

#19 - The Florida Project (2017) ~ January 30

Wow, what a great film. Instant top 3 of 2017 for me! Intelligent, beautiful and humane filmmaking. Can't wait to see what Sean Baker will come up with next.
Was in my top 3 of 2017 . Superb film by a superb film-maker. I loved the ending.

#22 - Coco (2017) ~ February 11

Stunning visuals, OK story. An unapolegetic happy ending was of course expected from recent Disney (Pixar), but it's still a pity that they didn't use at least a fraction of the potential tragedy in its conclusion. Beautiful film overall, though.

Personally thought CoCo was pretty mediocre, but obviously I'm in the minority there.

Personally thought CoCo was pretty mediocre, but obviously I'm in the minority there.
I'm with you. Felt recycled for Disney/Pixar and the humour wasn't that good. Was beautiful though.

#23 - Altered States (1980) ~ February 12

Crazy, highly metaphorical and conceptual film by Ken Russell.
Chayefsky and Russell are certainly not a perfect match (as they obviously try to outdo eachother) and this film is not even close to Russell's best work, but it's worth watching for its sheer excess alone. The film smashes the viewer with its existential themes by means of a pretty far-fetched crazy story. The ideas of the film never completely shine through, but the film nevertheless has a certain laudable wackiness to it that makes me appreciate it. My youngest sister liked it as well!

I really like Altered States. Definitely not perfect, but fascinating nonetheless.

#24 - Insignificance (1985) ~ February 13

This film (based on a play) tells a fictional story about Joseph McCarthy, Marilyn Monroe, Joe DiMaggio and Albert Einstein somehow crossing eachother in a hotel room, right after Marilyn filmed her famous 'skirt scene' for the film The Seven Year Itch.
I wouldn't say it's right up there with Roeg's best work, but it does showcase Roeg's fantastic cinematographic eye and makes use of his typical editing style when injecting some heavier overarching themes into the story.
A unique underseen film that deserves a rediscovery!

#25 - Phantom Thread (2017) ~ February 15

What can I say? Paul Thomas Anderson is undoubtedly one of the top three film directors working today, probably even the ultimate best. What an incredible film!
I think this was the first time I've ever seen a film all by myself in the theater. Usually, I always take some friends or take my girlfriend, but it just felt right to watch the new PTA film all alone. There wasn't a single seat occupied between me and the screen. It felt like I was the only person there.
For two hours and ten minutes I was hypnotized by the sounds of Johnny Greenwood and drawn into the rich world that was created. There are very few directors who have done period pieces as beautifully and subtly as PTA has.
The threeway power play and character study that are at the heart of this film are exquisitely constructed and pictured. The ending "twist" also took me completely by surprise and released me from all the doubts I was starting to get about where the plot was headed. Sheer genius! It proves again how insightful a filmmaker and writer PTA truly is. It's one of the greatest film moments of the last few years. The moment is almost as satisfying as it feels truthful. Cinematic history is full of voluntarily abusive two-way relationships, but never has one been presented with such intellect and finesse as in Phantom Thread.
I'm quite tired and I'd love to discuss every tiny brilliant moment that's in this film, but let's conclude that PTA has yet again proven that he's in his own class. His films are more intelligent, more beautiful and funnier than any of his contemporaries'. He represents the pinnacle of modern filmmaking. Can't wait to revisit this one!