Kissintel's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Below you will find some of my thoughts on movies I've seen. Feedback is welcome and appreciated

Attack the Block (2011)

-Rental through Netflix DVD
-First time watch

Attack the Block is about a group of punk teens who fight off an invasion of aliens.

I would have rated the movie lower, but some of the gore effects are solid, the alien had an interesting design, and the portrayal of kids is spot on in some ways. Speaking of which, the acting is pretty good as well.

To be fair, this movie seems to be targeted at people under 25 and contains video game qualities which failed my sensibilities, such as: the Damsel in Distress trope, and the feeling that some of the fighting was inspired by boss encounters.

Be forewarned that Attack the Block is a visually dark movie for well over 50% of it's runtime. While I am usually fine with this, it can make the action difficult to follow.

My buddy brought me to see this at the theaters and on first watch I enjoyed it, but on home video the 2nd time I realized it didn't connect with me so I hear what you're saying. It's definitely a movie for kids. Plus, didn't they kind of waste Nick Frost a little?

Yes! The moment he was on screen I was hoping he would give a little something, but I also see why he might have either toned it down, or that his potential scene stealing got trimmed. I can only imagine the kids watching it might go "Why is that big dude in the whole movie?"