Movie Tab II

Tools    

January Watches:

01. A Bittersweet Life (Kim Jee-woon, 2005)

02. Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, 2017)

03. Take This Waltz (Sarah Polley, 2011)
04. The Florida Project (Sean Baker, 2017)

05. The Disaster Artist (James Franco, 2017)

06. Europa Europa (Agnieszka Holland, 1990)
07. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Martin McDonagh, 2017)

08. A Taxi Driver (Jang Hoon, 2017)

09. Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)

10. Little Women (Gillian Armstron, 1994)
11. Loveless (Andrey Zvyagintsev, 2017)
+
12. The Last Supper (Stacy Title, 1996)
13. The Public Enemy (William Wellman, 1931)

14. Fist Fight (Richie Keen, 2017)

15. The Ascent (Larisa Shepitko, 1977)
16. Only Angels Have Wings (Howard Hawks, 1939)

17. Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan, 2017)

18. Orlando (Sally Potter, 1992)
19. Jackass: The Movie (Jeff Tremaine, 2002)

20. Jackass Number Two (Jeff Tremaine, 2006)

21. Coco (Pixar, 2017)

22. Last Flag Flying (Richard Linklater, 2017)

23. The Heartbreak Kid (Elaine May, 1972)

24. The Post (Steven Spielberg, 2017)

25. The Witch (Robert Eggers, 2015)

26. La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
-
27. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012)
+
28. U.S Go Home (Claire Denis, 1994)
+
29. The Shape of Water (Guillermo Del Toro, 2017)

30. Mustang (Deniz Gamze Ergüven, 2015)

31. The Babadook (Jennifer Kent, 2014)

32. Waiting For Guffman (Christopher Guest, 1997)

33. The Ring (Gore Verbinski, 2002)

34. Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957)
+

January Watches: 34

Favourite First Time Watch:

Seen in January Pt.4/4

Oh My God, this film is so wonderful! The songs, the story, the animation it’s all amazing. It really takes me into a ‘whole new world’. The voice acting is fantastic. Robin Williams is just perfect, he makes this movie.

Just a wonderful time.

Another great film by Villeneuve. His direction is brilliant, the places he places the camera are just perfect. The combination of the direction and great soundtrack makes for a very intense experience. The cinematography by Deakins looks awesome.

Something about this whole film feels very homemade. Really authentic performances. Very emotional with a ton of heart.

+
Huh? What? This must be how a normie film-goer feels when they watch Eraserhead. I might get it more on a re-watch but I don't know.

It's hard to describe the type of atmosphere this film has, it's kind of a dark, wet and gloomy atmosphere that's helped by the camera quality and the cinematography. It has some very effective scares. The ending felt like a bit of a cop-out, but maybe this was the first time people in Hollywood did this kind of ending.

The plot's pretty interesting, and I think the film got a laugh or two out of me. De Niro gives one of his best performances here. The last 30 seconds are absolutely amazing, I'm surprised more people aren't analyzing it. I might raise the rating to
on a re-watch.

-
The plot of the film almost feels like a Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, which is really cool. The two Oscar winning performances were brilliant (When the little girl was crying it looked and sounded 100% real holy frick!). The soundtrack is almost perfect.

Stupid fun. You really need to watch these types of films every now and again, or you'll get kinda depressed.

A Serious Man is possibly the Coen's best film and is a top three favourite of mine, hope you get more out of it in future rewatches. The King of Comedy is my second favourite Scorsese after Taxi Driver, glad you liked it.

This might just do nobody any good.
No matter how often I watch it, I’m always thrown off by how seamlessly A Serious Man goes from banal to outright apocalyptic. I love it.

“I was cured, all right!”
January Watches:

01. A Bittersweet Life (Kim Jee-woon, 2005)

09. Love Exposure (Sion Sono, 2008)

Two great films!!
Nice to see you liked both of them as much as I did!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Shape of Water - This film is a masterpiece. A sort of Beauty and the Beast for adults. A mute cleaning lady falls in love with an amphibian-like creature who's being held captive and tortured in a government lab during the cold war. Great acting all around, especially the lead actress and Michael Shannon as the main antagonist. Beautifully written, shot, and scored. This is the best movie of 2017. Should win every oscar....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

\

+
Huh? What? This must be how a normie film-goer feels when they watch Eraserhead. I might get it more on a re-watch but I don't know.
It is an ambigous film, but I don't think it's nearly as surreal or tense as Eraserhead

Very odd indeed I gave it
+ but I could see it becoming one of my favorites once i dig through the meaning. Fascinating first scene

Recent Watches (Ranked):
RV: Silence of the Lambs (Demme, 1991)-
(-.5)
RV: The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)-
(=)
RV: Full Metal Jacket (Kubrick, 1987)-
++ (=)
RV: Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)-
+ (+.5)
Moonlight (Jenkins, 2016)-
+
It (Muschietti, 2017)-

Seven Psychpaths (McDonagh,2012)-
-
Suicide Squad (Ayer,2016)-

RV= Repeat viewing. (+/-) is change in rating

Moonlight (Jenkins, 2016)

Moonlight is a 3 phase depiction of the development of gay, socially awkward, black teenager Chiron- in an impoverished, urban Miami setting. The films story and setting naturally are a meditation stemming from the director and writer, Jenkins, background. However the films central point can be applied to all walks of life. The underlying questions of the film come from personal identity, how much we create to fit in with our environment and how much is an unchangeable nature. In the first phase of the film (I. Little) Chrirons presumed gay identity is challenged by his mother, but beyond that at a young age it's apparent that he must make personal decisions on how to present himself to fit into his environment. His newly found drug pushing father figure, Juan tells him "at one point you gotta decide for yourself who you want to be". His best friend "Kev" questions why he always lets the other kids pick on him, and asserts that he has to show himself as hard. However by chapter III of the film, when it seems Chiron finally takes these pieces of advice to heart, Kev once again challenges him by asking "Who are you?". Jenkins creates an extremely humanist piece with Moonlight- it's clear that Jaun and Kevin also have conflicts in identity. Between putting on a hard facade or sticking to their kind nature- both of them successfully balance both without losing themselves but being able to fit into their environment. On the contrary whether in adolescence, youth, or as an adult Chiron was never able to find a balance in the two. How much a person is the mask they wear and how much of their identity just comes from natural character is a central question of the film.

This film reminds me quite a bit the 2011 independent picture Pariah focusing on a lesbian, black teenager struggling with sexual expression in her conservative household. Both have similar raw screenplays that create extremely realistic, non-sensationalist, films. However while Moonlight has several dramatic scenes between Chiron and his mom, the questions of identity center around the relationships one build, by choice or not, within the setting they're raised in. The most dramatic and touching scenes of the film for me however were those when a young Chiron begins questioning why his mom acts the way she does, and is forced to realize that she's a drug addict. Why Jenkins makes this such a great humanist piece is he never depicts the mother as evil or the sole cause of the troubles, but it's an honest depiction of her as well. She's a sick woman, completely out of control of her actions. Doesn't excuse anything but explains everything. I can't say whether this film is deserving of the best picture or not, I haven't seen much of the competition including La La Land. I will say this film has many points to accolade including the cinematography and screenplay. A film about a niche struggle for the artists life but that has themes and meanings that apply to many.

+

Silence of the Lambs (Demme, 1991)

I nominated this film for the HoF partially to motivate myself to watch it again, I consider horrors one of the least rewatchable genres. When I first saw this film I found it one of the most disturbing films ever, I've probably watched a fair 50-70 films since then that make this look soft, however there are still scenes here that are hard to shake. Whether it's the visually foul autopsy or the disturbing quotes from Dr. Lecter in his visits with Foster- the film plays on many types of scares. The classic scene I find one of the greatest in horror history has to be "Puts the lotion on its skin" scene. Plays not only on the creepiness and perversion of Buffalo Bill but the fear of being trapped in a well looking up at this twisted man.

Foster is spectacular in her role, subtle in her acting but always clear in how we should interpret her inner feelings. Never noticed how much this film played on the unwanted male advances in the work place, but this sub-issue was glaringly obvious. Another point of discomfort Demme throws in this film. Hopkins is of course masterful in playing the condescending psychopath Hannibal Lecter. Also relies more on calm oddities than over acting. I will say the first half hour felt rather hokey this time around, very 90s Hollywood, in a way that has a charm in itself. Once the original meeting with Lecter is over the film is anything but hokey however- playing on the deepest fears of man utilizing the sickest minds that exist in humanity.

(-.5)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Recycled from my r/TrueFilm post:

Galaxy of Terror (1981) - ★★★

A wonderful piece of cosmic cheese, a bastardized version of Alien, Galaxy of Terror is by no means a masterpiece, nor the peak of kitsch, but a justly enjoyable experience just the same. A special shout-out for the scene in which a naked woman is all covered in alien spunk. Controversial opinion: Better than Alien.

The Text of Life (1974) - ★★★½

This may be one of Brakhage's most demanding, mainly due to its length. It's one thing to sit through some blinking lights when the whole thing is no longer than 5 minutes, and a wholly different thing, when it clocks at more than an hour. Besides, unlike Dog Star Man, this is 100% abstract, and you can't really try to notice any shapes, or forms at all. That is any recognizable ones. This one is much slower than, say, Black Ice, or Dante's Quartet that contain hundreds of images edited at a neck-breaking speed, as the "shots" here are much longer and consist mainly of different reflections of light. Some of them are really beautiful, possibly even enhanced by the low quality VHS copy I watched.

Duvidha (1973) - ★★★★

In India the colour of mourning is white.

Finally gotten around to watching a Parallel Cinema film other than Satyajit Ray's, and also my first Mani Kaul at that. The film feels like a precautionary fairy tale directed at married women, although I may be entirely wrong in interpreting it. Visually, the film feels like a more ascetic, stripped-down The Color of Pomegranates, and quite honestly, its minimalist myth-like story seemed to weigh it down a little bit. I think it would work better as a totally story-free poetic cinema. Looking forward to more Kaul.

Antigone (1992) - ★★★★

Yet another film of the acclaimed duo. Perhaps only Straub and Huillet give these "ancient" tragedies any justice, faithfully holding to the text. This style however, has also its obvious shortcomings. It's uncompromising, not flashy in the least, and very novellistically prolix. Even though filled with speech up to the nines, I can't remember any films other than those of Straub-Huillet, where we see sunbeams slowly appearing on actor's face, unveiing the movement of heavenly bodies as the only measure of time. Quite an awe-inspiring thing that should be practised by more filmmakers. The story of Antigone is so far the only story Straub-Huillet directed that I've known before, and the execution is superb with true Greek chorus, the actors reciting as if they were genuine Greeks (even though they speak German), and the overall feel of theatre BUT alfresco, amongst the nature. The framing is impeccable as well. Straub and Huillet are true masters of composition. A great, great, great film, albeit one that's not entirely right up my alley.

From the Clouds of the Resistance (1979) - ★★★★

One of the most acclaimed of Straub-Huillet, a mix between Too Early / Too Late and something like The Death of Empedocles, is a film in two distinctive parts. The first one takes place in antiquity and features a couple of vignettes of some historical and mythical characters conversing about various subjects. The second takes place (I think) right after Word War II and talks about some Communists. Lovely that some longer parts feature no dialogue at all, what a relief after these long conversations. Still, not enough of these non-verbal interludes. It's not surprising Straub-Huillet smuggle Communist ideas/ideology even in their films taking place in ancient times, but here, especially in part two, they're no longer hiding it, and are very open about it. Leftists were so prominent in cinema in the 60s and 70s...

Pirosmani (1969) - ★★★★½

It's incredible how much sense of space this film has, especially given it's a biography of a primitive painter. Rather than trying to emulate Pirosmani's painting style (quite honestly, though, only an animation could do it any justice), the film invents its own visual language, a style most prominent painters would not be ashamed of. As a biography, it's as far from glorifying as possible, showing a rather fallen, unhappy person that struggles to get by, not just in the world of art, but also in the world where you have to eat to survive. At times willingfully refusing the help of others, Pirosmani lived like a pauper in the last couple years of his life, to be recognized as a great artist only after his death. This film's simplicity and inner beauty won my heart.

The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (1975) - ★★★★½

A Norwegian box-office hit that sold 5.5 million tickets in a country whose population was not even 5 million. Apparently there's a lot of resemblance between this and Phantom Menace's race scenes. The film itself is enchanting! What a heart-warming story! The two bird characters are absolutely adorable, and the stop-motion puppetry nothing short of impressive. Towards the end of the film I could not hold my tears anymore and started crying, moved not by the sadness, but the happiness, goodness and honesty.

Moments choisis des histoire(s) du cinéma (2004) - ★★★★½

A "best of" Godard's most ambitious effort - Histoire(s) du cinéma. As a compilation of the 5 hours long film, it works great, as it reminded me how and why the full version is a total masterpiece. It made me increase its rating to full 5 stars, while also rating this one a 4.5. As some guy on RYM said, "our whole history should be told like that".

Here Godard talks about what cinema is:

" [...] With cinema it is something else. It is life. Nothing new, but hard to talk about. Tough enough to live and die it, but to talk about it... There are books. But cinema isn't books. Just music and painting which can be lived but not really talked about. So cinema, you see now, what to say about it. Life is the subject. Cinemascope and color its attributes, if we are broad-minded. Life, a beginning of life like Euclid's parallel lines, is a beginning of geometry. There have been other lives, will be others: a broken blossom, hunted lions, the silence of a hotel in Sweden. Others' lives are unsettling. The life itself I'd like to blow out of proportion to make it admired or reduced to its basic elements for students and Earth dwellers in general and spectators in particular. The life itself I'd like to hold prisoner by means of pans of nature, fixed shots of death, long and short takes, loud and soft sounds, free or enslaved actors and actresses - but life thrashes about worse than Nanook's fish, slips away like Monica's memories in the Red Desert around Milan. All is eclipsed, and it so happens that the only big problem in cinema is where and why to start a shot and where and why to end it."

A genius.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

mouchette

adaptation

big lebowski

hall pass

oldboy

a serious man

bernie

havent been able to watch much of what I want

havent been able to watch much of what I want
Hateful rating system.

Minio's on Reddit eh? I think he'll love r/movies
Not as good as r/TrueFilm! Where literally every poster is just Minio with a different username!

Not as good as r/TrueFilm! Where literally every poster is just Minio with a different username!
Last time I checked there were no Michael Rosen videos or kinky innuendos posted.

Welcome to the human race...
Phantom Thread (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2017) -

PTA delivers the goods once again with this delightfully twisted blend of extremely-mannered comedy, romantic drama, and haute couture. Maybe my favourite of this year's Best Picture nominees.

Paddington (Paul King, 2014) -

An absurdly charming little movie that never gets too saccharine for its own good as it introduces the eponymous bear as he goes on comical adventures through the hustle and bustle of modern London that have enough creativity and quality to make them significantly good instead of merely passable.

Paddington 2 (Paul King, 2017) -

Doesn't quite live up to the hype, if only because seeing it almost immediately after the first one meant that I definitely knew what to expect from a sequel. That being said, I can't fault it for managing to not only keep everything that made the first one special but also tweak certain qualities for the better (most notably when it comes to developing a new antagonist).

Supersonic (Mat Whitecross, 2016) -

I do wonder how much of this rating can be blamed on the fact that I can barely stand Oasis in the first place and thus did not relish the prospect of watching a two-hour documentary about them, but even then I suppose it deserves some credit for pulling a similar mixing of old visuals and new audio that Asif Kapaida did in Amy (though the issue being that that film at least had a tragic element to it whereas it's hard for the Gallagher brothers to engender that same level of sympathy).

New Jack City (Mario Van Peebles, 1991) -

Always different, always the same. What could have been another passable tale of boys in the hood with An Important Message about the War On Drugs becomes something else between Van Peebles' vibrant grindhouse-like direction and an ensemble of actors who go hard all the time. Not great, but I can't say I was ever bored.

Decasia: The State of Decay (Bill Morrison, 2002) -

After being so pleased with Dawson City: Frozen Time, I couldn't help but be a little disappointed with Morrison's most famous work using damaged silent films not as part of a conventional documentary but instead as visual accompaniment for a cacophonous symphony.

Final Cut: Ladies & Gentlemen (György Pálfi, 2012) -

A brief but seemingly interminable series of cinematic supercuts that follow an archetypal boy-meets-girl storyline - meet-cutes, big kisses, betrayals, etc. all coalesce in a maelstrom of images culled from hundreds of films (and Twin Peaks, apparently). Wish I could say it was as good as I make it sound.

Wild Bill (Walter Hill, 1995) -

I'm starting to get the impression that Walter Hill isn't really a director with too many masterpieces in him - I'm certainly not getting much out of any film he's done after, say, Streets of Fire. It certainly doesn't help that I'm coming to his tale of the eponymous cowboy after having already seen it so masterfully handled in Deadwood (which, in fairness, Hill did have a hand in), but there are enough of Hill's better touches at work that I ultimately don't hate it.

The Ballad of Narayama (Shohei Imamura, 1983) -

A Palme d'Or-winning tale of a rural Japanese village where archaic traditions and the cruel indifference of the natural world cause the locals to behave horribly towards one another and sometimes themselves. Incredibly transfixing and horrifying.

Thief (Michael Mann, 1981) -

At once an extremely archetypal one-last-job movie and yet so remarkably possessed by verve and panache that its structural simplicity ultimately doesn't matter. Hard-boiled performances, immaculately-structured setpieces, and aesthetic flourishes make for a film that could very well topple Heat for my favourite Mann (which is definitely no small feat).

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Panic in Year Zero! - What the heck IS this movie? A family man (Ray Milland) takes his wife and kids on a fishing trip when WWIII breaks out and a nuclear blast levels Los Angeles. The family then goes full bonkers survivalist almost immediately. Lots of (offscreen) raping and (surprisingly graphic for the times) killing and paranoia ensue until the film's anti-climactic non-ending. It also has a confusing cool jazz soundtrack that doesn't belong in the movie, and Frankie Avalon for some reason...I don't even know what to make of it, but it's strangely watchable. I can't go any higher than
though. It's as problematic as Red Dawn was in the 1980's. Is the film condoning or condemning this behaviour? I really can't tell.

The other movie tab was getting so large that many dial-up members were complaining that they quit frequenting the thread due to the length it took to load. So I'm making this new one and closing the old.

Post away!
the last movie i watched was the invisible guest