Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I need a rewatch, Edar. Stunning film.
not sure why, but I somehow had a feeling you'd know about this film. It is stunning and striking. It had been several years since I saw it last and originally bought the dvd on an impulse, and SO very glad I did.
I think this is like the third time since I got it, about 8 or 9 yrs ago and had forgotten a lot of it, especially the ending.
Pretty amazing film and story.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
not sure why, but I somehow had a feeling you'd know about this film. It is stunning and striking. It had been several years since I saw it last and originally bought the dvd on an impulse, and SO very glad I did.
I think this is like the third time since I got it, about 8 or 9 yrs ago and had forgotten a lot of it, especially the ending.
Pretty amazing film and story.
You know me too well, Edar.

Now can I be one of those annoying book fans who says the book is better!

Actually I saw the movie first, read the book then rewatched straight away. They're both fantastic. That birth scene at the beginning Oh My!!! Disgusting. So incredible to look at you can almost smell the fish, right.

6 Below: Miracle On The Mountain

We follow Josh Hartnett as an adrenaline seeking snowboarder who gets lost in a massive winter storm in the back country of the High Sierras. I might have enjoyed this more had it been a more linear story of his survival but only about half of this film is set on a mountain, the other half is told in flashbacks of his life and crappy drama, the climax felt rushed and lacked tension in the right places, before the credits roll we get to see the real life guy giving an inspiring talk (or perhaps finishing the last page of his own book) to some kids who looked as bored as I felt...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You know me too well, Edar.

Now can I be one of those annoying book fans who says the book is better!

Actually I saw the movie first, read the book then rewatched straight away. They're both fantastic. That birth scene at the beginning Oh My!!! Disgusting. So incredible to look at you can almost smell the fish, right.
I can imagine the book being truly impressive.
It's amazing just how well they conveyed scent through visual imagery.
I think I caught myself taking deep breaths a number of times or inhaling to block out scents that I imagined were there. lol

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I can imagine the book being truly impressive.
It's amazing just how well they conveyed scent through visual imagery.
I think I caught myself taking deep breaths a number of times or inhaling to block out scents that I imagined were there. lol
YES! The visuals were like they were painted on velvet.

I, Daniel Blake (2017)

I don't get it, I don't get the love for this movie. I liked it, I like small, quieter and simpler indie films. I'd give it a solid
maybe even a half point higher...but...I just don't get what the big deal is about this film. I mean why do people love it so much? Actually I do think I know why.

Kimi no na wa. 3/10

This film makes me angry. Its so shallow and manipulative. Im sad people are hailing this as some artistic achievement and masterpiece.

Road Trip - 6.5/10

One of those if you're feeling it put it in viewings. Man it's been a while since I last watched it, pretty funny from start to finish. That first scene with Andy Dick? Yeah, glad you're not blowing things out of proportion.

Side note: Any Sean William Scott movie from this era is worth the watch.

Train to Busan

Incredibly solid and well-told horror story with a message.

I struggle to not rate this movie higher, however, there are some unintentionally funny moments (to me anyway) and is rather overly message-driven.

These are odd things to criticize for me because both actually make the movie more watchable to a degree.

Regardless, Train to Busan is a refreshingly good time. Highly recommended for horror fans.
I loved this movie. It was very well done.

(REWATCH) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
With such a title it should be understood that this movie is equally dark and beautiful. Set in the 1800's Paris, France, is a story of a young man with exceptional smell that, desiring to retain the scent of a particular girl, begins to murder others to create a perfume.
An extraordinary film done with artistic brilliance.
Cool movie, but I still do not understand the last quarter of the movie (when it takes the giant left turn and runs off the rails). Could you explain it to me, please?

The Girl with All the Gifts (2016)

Truly exceptional zombie (or zombie-like, if you prefer) movie, with good characters and depth instead of a an all-out munch fest, which I don't mind either. This one is set after the decimation of most of civilization from a fungal plague, where we see mostly military survivors at a fenced-in camp. Unusual from what you might expect at an army camp, there are several dozen child survivors who are infected with the fungus and given the chance, will attack and kill remaining humans. The difference between the children and the giant hordes of flesh-eating "Hungries" is that they retain the human ability to think and learn. That is, as long as the humans keeping charge of them keep a lotion rubbed into their own skin that blocks the human smell. Without it, the children will start going into a fit, trying to bite their keepers. And make no mistake, the kids are being kept prisoners, wakened rudely each morning by their military guards who keep them strapped into wheelchairs to roll them into a class. Here, they are treated humanely by Helen (Gemma Arterton), who not only teaches them but tells them stories, which they love.

The ranking soldier, Sgt. Parks (Paddy Considine), is very rough and rightfully fearful of the children, referring to each one as an "it." He doesn't like Helen's methods but Helen disregards his rebuke and grows particularly close to a very special child, Melanie (Sennia Nanua), who seems to learn and evolve faster than the other children. Outside the camp, thousands of Hungries keep gathering until they eventually break in, leading Helen, Parks, Melanie, another soldier, Kieran (Fisayo Akinade), and the leading army scientist, Dr. Caldwell (Glenn Close) to all escape, first by military vehicle, then by foot. They make their way to London, where Melanie leads them through the dormant Hungries, who only come awake when they hear noise or smell anything not covered by the odor blocker. This is really where the movie hits high gear, as the survivors have to literally tiptoe through thousands of motionless flesh-eaters, trying to find food and shelter. Melanie is not threatened by the Hungries, as the children are part zombie themselves.

This movie really does have a heart as Helen sees these second generation kids as something more than zombies. Dr. Caldwell understands that Melanie is the smartest and wants to cut her up to work upon a hoped-for vaccine against the plague. Helen protects Melanie against Caldwell, whom she knows will eviscerate Melanie at the first chance, even as they are on the run. The rest of the survivors begin to trust Melanie as she volunteers to go on solo missions to find food, shelter, anything that will aid them in staying alive. If she munches on a stray cat on her errands, oh well, kid's gotta eat. She does so to suppress her need to eat humans. She begins to bond with all of them, except of course Caldwell. There are very tense moments as the group explores a mostly deserted London. Caldwell knows some secrets that she keeps close to the vest. There are other, hidden dangers in London and it really comes down to Melanie to help them make it through. The ending is particularly touching. The cast is all fine, but Sennia Nanua is a revelation as Melanie. The movie succeeds or fails on her performance and I'm happy to say it succeeds greatly.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I, Daniel Blake (2017)

I don't get it, I don't get the love for this movie. I liked it, I like small, quieter and simpler indie films. I'd give it a solid
maybe even a half point higher...but...I just don't get what the big deal is about this film. I mean why do people love it so much? Actually I do think I know why.
It's too bad You didn't enjoy this movie as I did. Somethimes too many recommendations can riun receive of a movie, because You expect too much. I didn't know much about this movie before I watched it, only general outline.

I think one reason I love it, was helpless fight with bureaucracy which suppose to serve every citizen, but its turned out that nationals had to act absurdly, because of rules, which don't help anyone. E.g. need to look for a job, but shouldn't find it.
The second reason is an issue poverty of members living in reach western countries. When You see a single mother, who could be Your neighbour and who is so hungry that is grabbing the food and devouring it in the corner and can't afford for basic higenic products, it's really shocking. There is a lot of food in every store, poeple eat in restaurants and she is passing out because lack of food.
Those rae the effects of law, which made her moved out from family town, where her family could support her.

Forgive me CR this too long screed I just want to share with You my opinion

Angela (Rebecca Miller, 1995)

Sometimes Heaven and Hell aren't so very far apart

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

(REWATCH) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
With such a title it should be understood that this movie is equally dark and beautiful. Set in the 1800's Paris, France, is a story of a young man with exceptional smell that, desiring to retain the scent of a particular girl, begins to murder others to create a perfume.
An extraordinary film done with artistic brilliance.
Will watch this. Sounds very weird....which intrigues me.

I loved this movie. It was very well done.
If you are interested, Seoul Station (2016) is the animated prequel. I haven't seen it myself yet, but it is available on Amazon to rent or buy. Nothing on Netflix unfortunately.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I didn't like the novel of Perfume but loved the film, beautifully realised, Ben Whishaw is great, the music is great. Film > book in this case.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
47 Meters Down

(Johannes Roberts)

Originally released on dvd as In The Deep, the success of The Shallows made the studio re-think their marketing strategy for this film. They quickly changed the title and gave it a small theatrical run, making it earn a few extra dollars here and there. But in thinking that, does this mean that the film is a cheap direct to dvd shark flick? Well, yeah it totally is. I'm oddly okay with that as well. 47 Meters Down is boring to start, mildly entertaining throughout with an eye-rolling finish.

Sisters Lisa and Kate decides to go into a shark cage while on vacation. Exciting, thrilling and dangerous. Things take a turn when the cable line to the cage breaks off and the sisters are plummeted 47 meters down. With low oxygen and hungry sharks surrounding them, can they make it back up to safety?

This film could have earned an extra rating from me had they ended the film 5 minutes earlier than they did. There is a moment in the film that a line is spoken and you immediately know that this will play into the plot later on. When it does, you pat yourself on the back for knowing this and appreciate the chance the filmmakers took in ending their story. But then....the film goes on for another 5 or so minutes, completely ruining what could have been a memorable and dark ending. Now this film becomes another generic shark film in a sea of trash.

The film uses a lot of diving lingo to try and make itself seem like it knows what it is talking about. I get the sneaky suspicion that it doesn't. "You guys are experienced, right?" "Umm...yeah." That's all it took for the captain to let these ladies on the boat. Get his license revoked!!!! If he even has one. I thought maybe he did it on purpose and that there was a sinister plot to ransom the girls for millions from their wealthy parents. That's thinking too outside the box.

If I saw a flashlight from far away not moving anywhere, is my best option to leave the cage and investigate? You have hungry sharks out there, low oxygen, no weapon. Dumb girls. There is one shot in the film that was pretty cool, but you need to throw out logic to appreciate it. I did, the film needs all the help it can get. 47 Meters Down has some tense filled moments, but they are sprinkled between dumb decision and illogical scuba scenes. The Shallows is a much better shark flick.

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User
Mollys Game (2017) -

The Seinfeld Story (2004) -

Fargo; Season 3 (2017) -
best season yet and not just because of.....

Winstead!!!

Although she was brilliant, the star of the show for me, was David Thewlis. What an amazing performance.

Honor Among Lovers (Dorothy Arzner, 1931)

Oh what a tangled silk web it weaves...