Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2018

→ in
Tools    

#8 - Time Bandits (1981) ~ January 8

Fairly entertaining episodic Gilliam film with some cool fantasy sets and characters. It's not even remotely in the range of a masterwork like Gilliam's Brazil, though (not that I expected that).

#5 - The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) ~ January 6

It's been quite some time since I've been this disturbed by a film. Kidman and Farrell are tremendous and so are the child actors. I loved The Lobster by Lanthimos and this was pretty much on the same level for me. It's really strong cinema.
[/b]
This looks really interesting, will have to get my hands on it. However The Lobster did nothing for me

SPOILERS FOR THE LOBSTER!

However The Lobster did nothing for me
I liked the first part (at the residence) a lot. The second part (after he escapes) is admittedly a bit weaker, but it still has its value.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is more balanced and less "split" than The Lobster, but there are certainly aspects of it that will be disliked by some. It's a matter of taste. Be sure to let me know what you think of it when you finally come around to it, Donnie!

#9 - Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) ~ January 9

Gorgeous imagery, gorgeous music (by Zamfir and Beethoven amongst others) and an exceptionally well told story. I was completely grasped by this beautiful film's atmosphere. I'll definitely watch this again someday. Loved it!

I watched the director's cut and watched the deleted scenes afterwards. I think I agree with the director's vision. The deleted scenes are unnecessary on a narrative level and don't really add anything to the mood either. The rhythm of the director's cut is perfect. Peter Weir made the right choices, in my opinion (even though I usually don't like it when directors shorten their original theatrical versions).

#10 - Winston Churchill: A Giant in the Century (2015) ~ January 11

A TV Documentary about the bulldog whose courage and perseverance saved Europe from Nazism, whatever the cost may be...

REWATCH #3 - Whiplash (2014) ~ January 12

This was on TV and I kept watching. It's a very rewatchable film, simply for J.K. Simmons' powerhouse performance. The intensity hasn't worn off. Enjoyed it again!

#11 - Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) ~ January 16

Not even remotely as good as a classic like Young Frankenstein, but I guess it's still watchable if you're looking for an amusing time. Luckily, that was all I was looking for tonight.

It's probably the worst of the six Mel Brooks films I've seen so far, though.

These are the ones I'd seen already:

The Producers
Young Frankenstein
Blazing Saddles
Silent Movie
Spaceballs

#12 - Albert Nobbs (2011) ~ January 19

This was on TV yesterday evening so my sister and I decided to watch it. It's a notable film because of Glenn Close's transformation, but besides that, I'm afraid this film doesn't have that much to offer. It's a standard drama with mostly one-dimensional characters.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
#9 - Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) ~ January 9

Gorgeous imagery, gorgeous music (by Zamfir and Beethoven amongst others) and an exceptionally well told story. I was completely grasped by this beautiful film's atmosphere. I'll definitely watch this again someday. Loved it!

I watched the director's cut and watched the deleted scenes afterwards. I think I agree with the director's vision. The deleted scenes are unnecessary on a narrative level and don't really add anything to the mood either. The rhythm of the director's cut is perfect. Peter Weir made the right choices, in my opinion (even though I usually don't like it when directors shorten their original theatrical versions).
Lovely review, Cob.

#13 - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) ~ January 23

This was pretty good! I laughed out loud quite frequently and was engaged throughout this whole film. I would be OK with this one winning the Oscar.

#14 - Mahler (1974) ~ January 24

Fantastic! Ken Russell keeps amazing me. His name belongs amongst the greatest of cinematic giants. What vision! What mastery! What a director!
Can't wait to expore the rest of his filmography. Seems like there's still a lot of interesting stuff left to delve into.

#15 - Witness (1985) ~ January 25

I really liked this Hollywood film with a unique edge to it. I loved the use of an Amish community as the background for a romantic thriller. The romantic aspect of the film only increased the constant tension. The two elements of the film perfectly enhanced eachother. Very strong film by Peter Weir!

#16 - Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969) ~ January 25

Fantastic 'New Hollywood' picture! This is one of those films of the period which manages to work in exactly the same ways as The Graduate does (which is one of my favorite films of all time). The cinematography is lovely, the comedy is sharp and laugh-out-loud funny and the subtle underlying drama surfaces smoothly whenever it's fitting and ultimately leaves you in that sweet spot where a tragic mess feels like a beautiful experience (and vice versa).

#17 - Your Sister's Sister (2011) ~ January 29

Lovely little film with some good performances that keep eachother in balance perfectly. A great watch if you're in the mood for a sweet indie film.

#18 - Peau d'Âne aka Donkey Skin (1970) ~ January 29

An incredibly beautiful cinematic fairy tale with a few weird edges to it. Jacques Demy was a true artist with a uniquely colorful vision. Enjoyed this a lot.

#19 - The Florida Project (2017) ~ January 30

Wow, what a great film. Instant top 3 of 2017 for me! Intelligent, beautiful and humane filmmaking. Can't wait to see what Sean Baker will come up with next.