Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Lars and The Real Girl (2007)

Really enjoyed this. I was pleased that this wasn't the comedy I was kind of expecting. Its very funny in parts but don't be fooled, I found it genuinely sad and touching. Gosling again shows off his acting chops as a socially awkward loner, which was also pleasing to see, as there are a lot of more comedic actors out there who might have been chosen for the part. He plays it perfectly.

+
Exactly. Gosling balansed this role. His chcracter doesn't occure as a pervert, but profoundly lonely guy. It's weird for me to write something like that about a man, who felt in love with a doll, but thanks to Gosling, Lars is justified.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Commuter: Saw this on my birthday this past weekend. Liam Neeson is Michael, a former cop turned insurance agent who is fired from his current job after ten years on the job. That day, on his way home, he comes across a mysterious woman (Vera Farmiga) who asks him to do one simple thing: someone on the train (which is the Metro North Hudson Line...a train line I am personally familiar with...matter of fact, my hometown gets mentioned in the film) doesn't belong. He basically makes the choice of taking $25,000 to find the person and will be given $75,000 more if he finds the person...however, if he takes too long, people close to him get threatened or killed. People have called this Non-Stop on a Train, but for me, the story kept me intrigued and had me along with Neeson's character as he attempts to find this mysterious person.

There are a few fistacuffs in the film, including a one-take fight scene that lasts about 3-4 minutes between him and a passenger who is actually revealed to be working for Farmiga's character, there to make sure Neeson does his "job". And Neeson doesn't go as the invincible elder action hero type....far from it. He is clearly having not just a bad day...but an even worse afternoon and night.

Final Rating: A

The Nanny (Seth Holt, 1965)

Not quite Mary Poppins

Children of a Lesser God (1986)

I was always interested in seeing this and finally watched it for the female director's countdown. I thought the female character was blind and was disappointed to find out she was deaf instead. It's a believable and nice love story with two fine performances from William Hurt and Marlee Matlin. I didn't think it was anything special.
I've been wanting to see that for a long while. Looks like something I might like?

Lars and The Real Girl (2007)

Really enjoyed this. I was pleased that this wasn't the comedy I was kind of expecting. Its very funny in parts but don't be fooled, I found it genuinely sad and touching. Gosling again shows off his acting chops as a socially awkward loner, which was also pleasing to see, as there are a lot of more comedic actors out there who might have been chosen for the part. He plays it perfectly.

+
I really liked it too. Agreed, with what you said... it was great because it touched upon loneliness and the challenges of social acceptances.

The Nanny (Seth Holt, 1965)

Not quite Mary Poppins
Bette rocks that movie!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I've been wanting to see that for a long while. Looks like something I might like?

I really liked it too. Agreed, with what you said... it was great because it touched upon loneliness and the challenges of social acceptances.

Bette rocks that movie!
I liked them both -- gave them each 7/10.... "Lars" is more unique, though I'd guess you like Children of a Lesser God a little more.

It has some interesting and common sense information in it but for the most part it's nothing new. Unfortunately I stopped taking it seriously when, as a positive, Dr. Robert Lustig and his 'toxic' sugar appeared.

Lo squartatore di New York [The New York Ripper] (Lucio Fulci, 1982)
+
You'll either enjoy it or it'll drive you quackers

Small town Crime (2017)

Caught Small Town Crime last night, a nicely done work-horse contemporary noir. It starred the inestimable John Hawkes, who turned in another first rate performance, and who is becoming one of my favorite actors.

Written and directed by the Nelms brothers, the Elmore Leonard type plot was not overly complicated, and the yarn was fairly well spun, with obvious homages to several classic crime films. It received an "R" rating, but in today's climate it could just as easily been a "PG-13", since there was no grisly violence, sex, or gratuitous language; a welcome change.

Hawkes took a character who was slightly over written, and made him reasonably believable. An alcoholic ex-cop hopes to get back on the force, who privately takes on a murder case to help his chances, and to avenge the murder victim. A weakness in the story line is that it's not made clear why the protagonist has such a personal interest in the case. Therefore his pursuit seems a little baseless and confusing.

It was also confusing why the character would have been adopted into a black family, outside of an apparent Hollywood code that a significant portion of all leading characters must be black. However the incongruity of their sibling relationship inserted a peculiar stumbling block in the narrative.

But despite its loose ends, the film is very watchable, and gets the job done in a
traditional way.

Doc's rating: 7/10

The Frozen Ground - 7.5/10

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The Post

Excellent framing, color, and lighting. Natural light created a few high contrast scenes that played well with newspaper print and imagery of the time. Topical even today, with press v white house politics and gender power struggle in the work place.

Scenes were fluid one to the next and perfectly set up tension in dialogue. The pulse of the movie was subtle but building right to the end.

My only gripes are that the soundtrack was generic, fitting better in a Disney family feature than here, and two or three scenes that were just a touch too heavy painting the white house as the villain.

Several shots highlighted the manual block typesetting press production of the era. From a graphic design perspective, these were exciting treats to see the tech of history at work. A lovely nod to a dying media.

The gist of the movie should be obvious from trailers so I'm just listing the around-the-world view that hit most with me.

Most interesting man in the world
Children of a Lesser God (1986)

I was always interested in seeing this and finally watched it for the female director's countdown. I thought the female character was blind and was disappointed to find out she was deaf instead. It's a believable and nice love story with two fine performances from William Hurt and Marlee Matlin. I didn't think it was anything special.

that's been on my watchlist for some time..

Secret of the Incas 1954 7 / 10

"An adventurer searchers for hidden treasure in the Peruvian jungles."

is this the original "Indiana jones"?

Charlton Heston reminds me a lot of Arnold Schwarzenegger
especially when he turns to the side even his outfit reminds me of arnolds in total recall

You can't win an argument just by being right!

is this the original "Indiana jones"?
It had a big influence on the making of Indiana.

And thanks, that's my next movie Havent seen it since I was a kid.

Batman Begins - 8/10

Not sure why I neglect to watch this one in comparison to TDK and TDKR, but every time I do watch I'm thinking maybe it's the better of the trilogy.

Batman Begins - 8/10

Not sure why I neglect to watch this one in comparison to TDK and TDKR, but every time I do watch I'm thinking maybe it's the better of the trilogy.
The better, yes, but the BEST would be The Dark Knight, which is nigh perfect. The Dark Knight Rises is a load of manure on a very hot day.