Tom Hanks may be the most unlucky actor

Tools    

Given his incredible abilities in acting and his many brilliant performances, it is surprising that he has not been nominated for Academy Award since "Cast Away" in 2000.

Meryl Streep is the most lucky actor. No matter how she acts, she can always earn a nomination.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
With the exception of Captain Phillips, I don't see any performances really worthy of one.

Suspect's Reviews

This might just do nobody any good.
Poor Tom Hanks. I bet it keeps him up at night.

With the exception of Captain Phillips, I don't see any performances really worthy of one.
This will be the seventh film IMHO where he could have made the cut

Catch me if you Can - sup.
Saving Mr. Banks - sup.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - sup.

Captain Phillips - lead
Sully - lead
Charlie Wilson's War - lead

I doubt he's upset. The man has already gone down in history as one of only 2 actors to ever win back-to-back Oscars for Best Actor. Plus, he's a Hollywood living legend and one of the most beloved actors of all time.

But I see your point, it's weird he has not been nominated for anything since 2000.

I still believe he will win another one in his lifetime, likely for Best Supporting Actor.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Do we have to list all the actors who went to their graves without ever winning an Oscar? Hanks has won two and he's still working...it's hard to think of him as "unlucky"?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Poor Tom Hanks. I bet it keeps him up at night.
LOL. Surely he has more than one toilet door to keep open.

Hey I just had a thought, the statuette would make a great toilet roll holder.

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
As a five time nominee, two time winner (among a horde of other nods and awards) plus being one of the most successful box office stars in film history, I'd say Hanks has been anything but unlucky. He's easily one of the successful actors of all time.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Tom Hanks is an American treasure. He's probably the most successful actor of all time and possibly the most beloved human being since Jimmy Stewart. I wouldn't call him unlucky just because he didn't get an oscar nod.

If anyone is the unluckiest actor it's Kevin Spacey...Dude is never gonna work again probably, and that blows.

American Beauty? Classic motion picture. The Usual Suspects? Classic motion picture. Seven? Classic motion picture.

What he did was wrong, sure, but does he NEED to be erased from film history? I think not.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Tom Hanks was robbed in 1990, Joe Versus the Volcano is a masterpiece.

However, I think that Dances with Wolves was pretty o.k. so I'll give it a pass.

edit: er.. um Jeremy Irons won for Reversal of Fortune. My mistake. I've never seen it, but I wager he wasn't as good as Tom. P.S. JVtV should have still won for best picture though.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	joe.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	40721  

If anyone is the unluckiest actor it's Kevin Spacey...Dude is never gonna work again probably, and that blows.
Yes to your comment re: Hanks.
re: Spacey, my prediction, and I will stand by this, the Weinstein effect will blow over eventually and he'll be back bigger than before. The backlash will be on some women who have shown their hypocrisy. Hollywood is a men's club and that will continue. I would still watch him in anything.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Yes to your comment re: Hanks.
re: Spacey, my prediction, and I will stand by this, the Weinstein effect will blow over eventually and he'll be back bigger than before. The backlash will be on some women who have shown their hypocrisy. Hollywood is a men's club and that will continue. I would still watch him in anything.
Tom Hanks is probably my favorite actor ever. Whenever I go to auditions that require a monologue, I inevitably choose a Tom Hanks one.

Tom Hanks is probably my favorite actor ever. Whenever I go to auditions that require a monologue, I inevitably choose a Tom Hanks one.
Ohhhh his final scene in Captain Philllips still sends icicles up my spine. And any scene from Charlie Wilson's War.

Tom Hanks was robbed in 1990, Joe Versus the Volcano is a masterpiece.

However, I think that Dances with Wolves was pretty o.k. so I'll give it a pass.

edit: er.. um Jeremy Irons won for Reversal of Fortune. My mistake. I've never seen it, but I wager he wasn't as good as Tom. P.S. JVtV should have still won for best picture though.
Jeremy Irons was BRILLIANT in Reversal of Fortune, a movie nobody saw.

Jeremy Irons was BRILLIANT in Reversal of Fortune, a movie nobody saw.
Yeah, after I found the mistake I made it gave me pause to consider checking it out.

Thank you for your thoughts, I will definitely give it a go sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the human race...
Based on this and the "Nolan is the unluckiest director" thread, OP's certainly got an interesting definition of "unlucky".

I can think of some less lucky ones.

Based on this and the "Nolan is the unluckiest director" thread, OP's certainly got an interesting definition of "unlucky".

I can think of some less lucky ones.

LOL. Didnt realise it was the same person. So he brings up two of the most recognisable names in Hollwood and thinks they're unlucky?