2018 Academy Awards

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
3 billboards would be a bad best picture winner IMO.
Why is that, Raul? I'm not attached to oscar wins (or any awards generally) but I think in a year of crappy movies the contenders this year (that I have seen) are quite strong. I dont think I'll be unhappy with any best picture win. Bit of a cop out I know. I wont be putting money down this year, that's for sure.

Not necessarily.

In 2015, Sylvester Stallone won the Golden Globe and SAG award for Best Supporting Actor for Creed, but lost the Oscar to Mark Rylance, which was complete bullsh*t if you ask me.

It could happen again this year.
Stallone didn't win the SAG, that went to Idris Elba. There's wasn't a whole lot a passion behind Stallone's performance outside of his role. Whilst Rylance was the well-respected character actor in a Best Picture nominated film.

Also, Rockwell just won the SAG. Dafoe ain't winning now.

GET WOKE.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

Also, Rockwell just won the SAG. Dafoe ain't winning now. .
Great!

I dont think it's televised here.

Oldman just won the SAG. This is despicable, and gross.

Woo. I'm happy with that so far.

Has best picture been announced yet?

Ohh they dont have that category. 3BB wins best ensemble. Cool.

I love Franny's speech about young actors and the door stop. Cheeky gal!

Lady Bird could still upset in winning the big statue. But after Three Billboard's 'SAG Ensemble' win, I don't think so. The media is still trying their absolute best to capture the zeitgeist while protesting against this film, like they did last year with LLL and Moonlight. But the only difference there was Trump's Presidential Victory; the hot iron has definitely cooled off since then. Their repeated strategy might not do anything but backfire in this scenario. McDonagh's film has too much industry support.

Congrats 3BB on your inevitable BP win! You deserve it!

(Thank god we don't have that overrated film about horny, unstable, obnoxious, uninteresting, and immature teenagers winning BP. )

Not necessarily.

In 2015, Sylvester Stallone won the Golden Globe and SAG award for Best Supporting Actor for Creed, but lost the Oscar to Mark Rylance, which was complete bullsh*t if you ask me.

It could happen again this year.
That is so Dumbkirk.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I suppose we have our locked winners now:
Oldman, McDormand, Rockwell, and Janney.
Has there ever been a lock in all four acting categories like this?

The only one I can see possibly....possibly not winning is Rockwell.

Suspect's Reviews

Has there ever been a lock in all four acting categories like this?

The only one I can see possibly....possibly not winning is Rockwell.
Yeah, same here, but I doubt it. I don't think Rockwell is shaky, at all. The only way Dafoe could become a legitimate contender for the win, at this point, would be If TFP gets a BP and a director nom. But I'm doubtful of that happening.

Stallone didn't win the SAG, that went to Idris Elba. There's wasn't a whole lot a passion behind Stallone's performance outside of his role. Whilst Rylance was the well-respected character actor in a Best Picture nominated film.

Also, Rockwell just won the SAG. Dafoe ain't winning now.

GET WOKE.
I must have confused the SAG with the Critics' Choice Award. That's the one Sly won for Creed:

He also had won the Golden Globe:

And the National Board of Review:

There was plenty of passion behind his performance in Creed and was likely to win the Oscar, but out of left field came Rylance. Rylance was great in Bridge of Spies, but there was just no momentum for him going into the Oscars that year. Idris Elba had more momentum than Rylance, and he wasn't even nominated.

I can see there's zero love for Sly by most of you MoFo's, and that's pretty sad.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Here's my UPDATED list of Oscar predictions (based on the current SAG awards being announced - I've highlighted my changes in RED):

BEST PICTURE: The Shape of Water
BEST DIRECTOR: Guillermo del Toro
BEST ACTOR: Gary Oldman
BEST ACTRESS: Frances McDormand
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Sam Rockwell
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Allison Janney
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Call Me By Your Name
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE: Coco

I think the Academy might surprise us with a Soairse Ronan win in the Best Actress category, but I really think Frances deserves it more. She was badass in Three Billboards.

Welcome to the human race...
Holden Pike pointed out something a while back about how the Academy doesn't really do the "legacy win" thing very often in the first place so even if Stallone won a couple of the usual pre-Oscar awards it still wasn't a guarantee that the Academy would follow suit - they have more of a pretense towards rewarding artistic merit as opposed to the Globes being more of a glorified popularity contest.

Oldman just won the SAG. This is despicable, and gross.
Why is it despicable and gross?

Oldman is long overdue for an Oscar, plus he's one of the most beloved and versatile character actors of our time. Needless to say, he was amazing as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour.

Holden Pike pointed out something a while back about how the Academy doesn't really do the "legacy win" thing very often in the first place so even if Stallone won a couple of the usual pre-Oscar awards it still wasn't a guarantee that the Academy would follow suit - they have more of a pretense towards rewarding artistic merit as opposed to the Globes being more of a glorified popularity contest.
I understand all that.
It's just that I've been a fan of Stallone ever since Rocky, for which I truly believe he deserved the 1976 Oscar for Best Screenplay, and not so much Best Actor which went to the dead guy Peter Finch (Deniro deserved it for Taxi Driver).

I've always seen him (Stallone) as the underdog, much like Rocky is. He's delivered loads of crappy performances and loads of crappy films, and to see him redeem himself with an excellent performance, as Rocky once again nonetheless, I was passionately rooting for him. To be honest, I was let down and bummed out when they announced Rylance as the winner.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Why is it despicable and gross?

Oldman is long overdue for an Oscar, plus he's one of the most beloved and versatile character actors of our time. Needless to say, he was amazing as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour.
I agree with this. Oldman is very deserving!

Lady Bird could still upset in winning the big statue. But after Three Billboard's 'SAG Ensemble' win, I don't think so. The media is still trying their absolute best to capture the zeitgeist while protesting against this film, like they did last year with LLL and Moonlight. But the only difference there was Trump's Presidential Victory; the hot iron has definitely cooled off since then. Their repeated strategy might not do anything but backfire in this scenario. McDonagh's film has too much industry support.
I'm betting The Shape of Water will win the big prize. Del Toro deserves it for that film, too, for his amazing direction.

Here's hoping Timmy pulls an upset win.

I wish Robert Pattinson was nominated for Good Time.