Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

How about another interpretation? Give it a lash mate?
Still mean to strike or or hit...physically or verbally

Cluny Brown (1946)

I had a hunch that someone would mention this film. Watched it on TCM the other night. It's one of those delightful Ernst Lubitsch outings with a screenplay by Samuel Hoffenstein, who also wrote the screenplays for Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera, The Wizard of Oz, and Laura.

I loved the zany off-beat dialogue between Jennifer Jones, Charles Boyer, and Peter Lawford. The movie lagged just a bit toward the end, but it was still a lot of laughs. Reportedly after Lubitsch died at the young age of 55, a sad Billy Wilder said, "No more Lubitsch." Then William Wyler added, "Worse than that. No more Lubitsch pictures."

I've come to believe that Boyer was actually better at comedy than he was as a dramatic actor.

~Doc

Wind River - 6.5/10 - a solid C.

Had a lot of potential but a very safe payoff/reveal.

Just finished watching the new IT. Yes, better than the original but... this franchise just doesn't blow me away. Just a meehhhhh horror film. I've heard people say (mostly the younger audience) that it's on the same level as The Shining/The Exorcist, and I'd have to question those people's tastes. This is nowhere remotely close to being a top 10 horror classic. But still... it was above average.

6.5/10

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Just finished watching the new IT. Yes, better than the original but... this franchise just doesn't blow me away. Just a meehhhhh horror film. I've heard people say (mostly the younger audience) that it's on the same level as The Shining/The Exorcist, and I'd have to question those people's tastes. This is nowhere remotely close to being a top 10 horror classic. But still... it was above average.

7/10
Yes it doesnt do anything for me but most certainly better than the dreadful tv movie.

Yes it doesnt do anything for me but most certainly better than the dreadful tv movie.
It's not even the best clown horror movie.

Clown (2014) is a helluva lot better than IT imo.

The 7 rating was generous, only because the tv movie was so bad.

Welcome to the human race...
My only quibble comes from how the story was told. It’s very procedural in its delivery. I wanted to learn more about these men as people and wanted to feel the rage of the era. Meaning, I wanted to feel/remember how the country was angry over the cowardly attacks of 9/11 and how everyone was willing to sacrifice anything to combat the dastardly attack and to make those responsible pay. I can’t say the movie does a good job in either of those efforts.
It sounds like you already feel and remember that anger just fine without the film telling you to do so, though.

Last movie watched...

I Am Not Your Negro -

"The future of the Negro in America is the future of America."

Most interesting man in the world
The Vampire and the Ballerina 1960 7 / 10

"A troupe of beautiful young dancers find themselves stranded in a sinister, spooky old castle,
not knowing that it is home to a group of vampires. "

*Italian movie,saw it with English subtitles(tho I understood some of the dialogue
because its similar to Spanish

** MUCH better than " The Playgirls and the Vampire 1960 "

"Five beautiful showgirls are trapped by a storm and find refuge in a creepy old
castle. The owner of the castle, a strange nobleman, has a secret laboratory
in the basement and has his own plans for the girls."

*Italian movie too,saw it with English subtitles

Pretty Baby (Louis Malle, 1978)
+
Should be better loved by puritans really

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

I caught the 2 hour and twenty three minute version the other night. I like what Romero did with his casting and characters. They all did believable work for the most part. Using a shopping mall for most of the film was a cool idea. I thought the movie was really creepy even if some of the make up, all the blood and a few moments of acting came off dated and flaky. The music by Goblin is adult contempo jazz prog mixed with dark. Very strange and often goofy soundtrack, but still dig it regardless. The editing was the star of this movie for me. The way Romero punctuates some of the drama is mesmerizing, like the reveal of zombies still occupying the parking lot when a tennis ball drops from the roof, or when a one eyed scientist is hammering his reasoning home to a small audience of frustrated politicians.

It might not be a brand spanking new take on zombie lore, but that's only because it was the first, as everything after owes to this film.

The Wild Bunch (1969)

Wow, i know it's up there in film critics choices but that is for a reason. It's about abject failure in my eyes...beautifully portrayed abject failure. A masterpiece. Peckinpah captures these lost criminals (great ensemble cast of faces, B-moviers and stalwarts) on a downward spiral till their raw guts say no more. i thought Dutch was going to go on his own. He didn't An incredible movie. 9/10 cases for this monkey, we gave one away.