Films you think I NEED to see before I start building my Top 100?

Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
As far as this thread goes, I think you should set aside a week to tackle the Human Condition trilogy. It's dope. I haven't read every post in this thread, so I don't know if some of what I'm going to say has already been mentioned: it's impossible not to neglect certain fields, but you should try to really explore as much as you can. I could never follow a schedule like you plan to do, it would drive me insane. I fly by the seat of my pants, and I think I want to watch the heavy hitters, but then I end up watching some weird, low-budget, British, B-Noir from the early 60's and falling in love with it instead of seeing more Hitchcock, Bergman, Kurosawa, Ozu, or whoever else films. Just to try to throw out a couple of films that I feel like probably haven't been mentioned:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is a big one, because it's a beautiful musical that takes a different approach to musicals than typical Hollywood fare. If someone tells me they love musicals, I tell them they need to see this movie. If someone tells me they hate musicals, I tell them they need to see this movie.

I hope horror doesn't get neglected here, because that is too often the case when serious film discussion takes place. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Halloween are must sees. They are great films and wildly important for the genre. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already seen either of them though.

If you don't mind watching a short film, you should try Un Chien Andalou. I saw it early on during my developing days of becoming a movie nerd, and I think it is probably the reason I enjoy watching weird sh*t.

And try Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Barry Lyndon, maybe the two most beautiful films of the 70's. I don't know if that's true, but if I say something really extravagant, maybe you'll give them a shot.

I don't know if any of this has helped, but I'm excited for you because I know just starting to dig into this huge world of movies is the coolest time. I still love movies, but I wish I could watch a lot of them for the first time again.
Thanks for your suggestions! The reason my list is mostly populated with the "greats" as in the most popular, is because those are the films that I feel the most pressure to watch. These are the films that every top 100 films of all time list has some of. And as a film fan, I feel like I really need to see those first.

I love obscure movies as much as most of the people on here, you'd be surprised of the amount of those I've seen. This year I was planing on focusing on those, and next year is when I wanted to watch the smaller indie films that you guys recommended.

I actually do love musicals (one of my favorite films is Singing in the Rian) and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg did peak my interest, I will probably end up making space for it.

Horror was the first genre I ever fell in love with it, and I've seen so much. Halloween and Texas Chainsaw are both two of the earliest horror films I saw. If you have any horror recommendations, wether they are classic or obscure, there's a good chance I've seen it. Except for Rosemary's Baby, which I'm quite ashamed it took me this long to put in on the list.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Thanks for your suggestions! The reason my list is mostly populated with the "greats" as in the most popular, is because those are the films that I feel the most pressure to watch.
Why do you feel pressure? Peer pressure? Eh, you're a smart guy. Dont fall for that silly sand pit crap. Just watch what you want to watch. You dont hve to prove yourself to anyone. Just enjoy your entertainment.

Why do you feel pressure? Peer pressure? Eh, you're a smart guy. Dont fall for that silly sand pit crap. Just watch what you want to watch. You dont hve to prove yourself to anyone. Just enjoy your entertainment.
Thank you for the words. Mostly pressure from myself, knowing that these are some of the most acclaimed classic films and I haven't watched some of them.

Thank you for the words. Mostly pressure from myself, knowing that these are some of the most acclaimed classic films and I haven't watched some of them.
Yeah take the pressure off yourself or it will diminish your entertainment, Luis. There's enough pressure in life. I promise you, there wont be a difficult pop quizz at the end of the year.

I think the pressure here (for me anyway) is choice. I get my movie recommendations mostly from here at the moment and I found I was spending more time looking up these movies than watching any. Too much choice does my head in. Comes a time when you just have to go for Eanie Meanie Mini Mo and sit down, put your feet up, and have some fun.

My other problem is Mr D and I dont always feel in the mood for the same kind of genre and have to toss a coin or watch something else.

Yeah take the pressure off yourself or it will diminish your entertainment, Luis. There's enough pressure in life. I promise you, there wont be a difficult pop quizz at the end of the year.

I think the pressure here (for me anyway) is choice. I get my movie recommendations mostly from here at the moment and I found I was spending more time looking up these movies than watching any. Too much choice does my head in. Comes a time when you just have to go for Eanie Meanie Mini Mo and sit down, put your feet up, and have some fun.

My other problem is Mr D and I dont always feel in the mood for the same kind of genre and have to toss a coin or watch something else.
Thank you so much for the advice. You are wonderful! I definitely agree with you. I probably wouldn't go through with the list if it wasn't for the mere fact that I'm actually very excited to watch these films. Let's see how it everything goes, but I will always enjoy a good movie no matter the circumstance.

I'm enjoying the list, just not the idea of pressure.

“I was cured, all right!”
Not only films but entire filmographies!
Directors like Ingmar Bergman, Arthur Penn, Samuel Fuller, John Ford, Yasujirō Ozu, Akira Kurosawa, Kenji Mizoguchi, Orson Welles, Andrei Tarkovsky, François Truffaut, Federico Fellini, Jean-Luc Godard, Alfred Hitchcock...
This directors are essentials.

I'm enjoying the list, just not the idea of pressure.
I'm the same as you! Yeah, maybe pressure wasn't the right word, I just really wanted to watch more stuff, and if anything, I'm mostly excited.

I'd recommend Bringing Up Baby and Son of Saul. Only one of them is old but anyway they're both great.

Ok, so I'm an 18 year old movie fan, I clearly haven't been alive enough time to watch all the "greats" and my knowledge of classic films (while much greater than you're average 18 year old) is still lacking. Or at least it's not where I want it to be. There's a lot of films pre-2000 I haven't seen. And a couple of years from now I want to build my Top 100 films of all time. So 2018 I want half of the portion of movies I watch, to be new watches.

So please, any movie you think any person who calls themselves a film fan should see, list it on here, and I will add it to my 2018 watch list.

Some stuff like The Godfather, I've seen, but other stuff like Citizen Kane I haven't. So please! Just list away!

The fact that you consider anything pre-2000 "classic" says to me you're much too young to even be thinking about putting together a top 100...what's your hurry? Why don't you watch a few movies made before the year 2000 before undertaking the monumental task of putting together a top 100?

The fact that you consider anything pre-2000 "classic" says to me you're much too young to even be thinking about putting together a top 100...what's your hurry? Why don't you watch a few movies made before the year 2000 before undertaking the monumental task of putting together a top 100?
Thanks for the advice.

Just thought to clear something out, I never said that anything pre-2000 is automatically classic. I said that I want to watch more of the films considered classics, and I also said that I haven't seen a lot of pre-2000 films. I'm aware that a release year does not the define how classic a movie is. And don't worry, I'm in no hurry to build my top 100 any time soon.

As a movie fan, I feel like it's necessary to familiarize myself with those films that shaped cinema. Citizen Kane for example, is a film that is basically a film bible, and I hadn't seen it until just 2 days ago.

Anyway, thanks again, hope you stay around for the reviews on my list above if you're curious.

Luis, if I knew your style, I would suggest something.. I watch anything but American Comedies... Foreign comedies are good.. not American ones...

Luis, if you have the time try and watch a couple well known musicals. People knock those, but they are a part of cinema history.
I have a couple of the well-known musicals. If you have any outside recommendations I would love to hear them, I'm actually a sucker for a good musical.

I have a couple of the well-known musicals. If you have any outside recommendations I would love to hear them, I'm actually a sucker for a good musical.

well 2 of my favorite musicals are older..

Brigadoon and Hans Christian Anderson

of course there are 2 from the 1970s..... Tommy and The Wall

Across the Universe is a great one.. its full of Beatles songs

well 2 of my favorite musicals are older..

Brigadoon and Hans Christian Anderson
OMG I was just about to suggest that. Get out of my head!!! I think that was the first musical I saw. Watched it with my mum when I was a little girl and she cried which traumatised me and turned me off. Brigadoon - I cant listen to the pipes now without crying.

LLL. I didnt like it and flounced off in the first 30 minutes but a friend convinced me to try again. It's really charming and not all happily ever after, cute puppies and rainbows, but doesn't leave you on a downer. During a really crappy year for world events it was an uplifter that came out of nowhere.

OMG I was just about to suggest that. Get out of my head!!! I think that was the first musical I saw. Watched it with my mum when I was a little girl and she cried which traumatised me and turned me off. Brigadoon - I cant listen to the pipes now without crying.

LLL. I didnt like it and flounced off in the first 30 minutes but a friend convinced me to try again. It's really charming and not all happily ever after, cute puppies and rainbows, but doesn't leave you on a downer. During a really crappy year for world events it was an uplifter that came out of nowhere.

arent I older than you? so that means you copy off me :P

arent I older than you? so that means you copy off me :P
Well if we're the same person as was alleged last year we must be the same age, my dear.

The King and I is another I love.

Good for you! I see you have The Sound of Music (1965) and Mary Poppins (1964). Well I won't bomard you with musicals I do have one, though I could name a 100!

Sweet Charity (1969) Vastly different than The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins, it's strong on dance and directed and choreography by renown Broadway director Bob Fosse. It's probably more accessible too as a story.