Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

WONDER
(2017)

A touching story about a smart kid with a facial deformity who goes to school for the first time after years of being home-schooled, faces challenges that include bullying, but overcomes them.

The entire cast did a wonderful job.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Life (2017)

-

My wife picked this out after seeing the trailer last week, and anytime she shows interest in a movie, I better jump on it. I'd say it's average at best, but for me what it has going against it the most is the existing of Alien (1979). There is no way I can watch a movie like this without making an unfair comparison to a movie it can never come close to. Alien set a standard that will probably never be matched. The monster/alien in this movie was actually pretty cool and scary, and there is some tension. However, most if it is completely forgettable and unremarkable. What puzzles me most is Jake Gyllenhall starring. He usually plays standout roles and there was never going to be anything special about this one.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1981). The first time I've seen this movie surprisingly, I've heard about it but never got around to watching it until last night. Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange were good as they usually are, I thought it was an interesting and steamy drama. It was a bit dark and there was plenty of sexual tension and obsession involved. Definitely worth seeing. 3.5/5.
i think Jessica Lange's performance alone makes this movie worth watching.

Gatti rossi in un labirinto di vetro [Eyeball aka The Secret Killer] (Umberto Lenzi, 1975)

Hardly a sight for sore eyes but worth a squint for Giallo lovers

Total Eclipse (1995)
rating: 3/5

Paura nella città dei morti viventi [City Of The Living Dead aka The Gates Of Hell] (Lucio Fulci, 1980)

Does it's best to worm it's way under your skin

Andrei Tarkovsky's "The Mirror":

One of the most beautiful films that I ever watched!
That ending was so great and so powerful that I rewatched the film twice during the last weekend. This film is here, with me, to stay!
I have watched this quite recently. Beautiful and insanely personal, so much so that it makes it tough to connect on first watch. want to re watch this asap

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (1987)

Take that Mom!

Logan Lucky (2017)

OK film and think I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Solid casting and a decent story but the "quirkiness" didn't really work for me. TBH the whole film didn't know whether it wanted to be a heist film, a drama or a comedy. 2.5/5.

Thelma and Louise: 1991

Wonderful. Just, wonderful.
Sure is. Seen it a million times.

The Paperboy (Lee Daniels, 2012)

It's ok but it's no 'special edition' for me

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mustang (2015)

Occasionally over-dramatic but very well made Turkish film about five sisters whose family suddenly gets strict and starts preparing to marry them off, mostly seen through the eyes of the football-loving youngest who is determined to run away. Sort of like a Turkish Virgin Suicides. Eligible for the Women Directors' Countdown, for those who are interested.

-

Wind River (2017)

Great and depressing film.

Mustang (2015)

Occasionally over-dramatic but very well made Turkish film about five sisters whose family suddenly gets strict and starts preparing to marry them off, mostly seen through the eyes of the football-loving youngest who is determined to run away. Sort of like a Turkish Virgin Suicides. Eligible for the Women Directors' Countdown, for those who are interested.

-
It received excellent reviews, but I could not get into this movie at all.

Gerald's Game (2017)

I really wanted to like this and I did for about 20 minutes. I wish it ended there as it would have been a pretty good short. I just hated the way the story was told from there. I hate to be critical because I know it's based on a book, but I hate the whole imagining things and is this person real type of stuff. I also didn't think the leading lady gave a very good performance.

Unregistered User
Gerald's Game (2017)

I really wanted to like this and I did for about 20 minutes. I wish it ended there as it would have been a pretty good short. I just hated the way the story was told from there. I hate to be critical because I know it's based on a book, but I hate the whole imagining things and is this person real type of stuff. I also didn't think the leading lady gave a very good performance.

One of the worst films I watched last year.

The Room (2003)

So bad but such a fun watch.

I haven't seen the film, although it's generally thought to be awful. But what tickles me is that the film which I did see, about the making of The Room, The Disaster Artist, is itself dreadful, save for its technical merit. Yet it's considered by many to be wonderful..

Will it be long before film makers catch on to this road to success? Simply make an inexpensive turkey, than make a film ABOUT making the rotten movie, and the critics will love it! What a pertinent way to assist the current film industry's slide into the muck. Surely we'll see more of this..

~Doc