Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bad Day for the Cut (2017)

+

Badass revenge flick out of Northern Ireland that I'd recommend to fans of movies like Blue Ruin. An average middle aged farmer comes home to find dear old mom murdered. It looks like a robbery gone wrong, but no, mama has a past. Don't f**k with a farmer.

Bad Day for the Cut (2017)

+

Badass revenge flick out of Northern Ireland that I'd recommend to fans of movies like Blue Ruin. An average middle aged farmer comes home to find dear old mom murdered. It looks like a robbery gone wrong, but no, mama has a past. Don't f**k with a farmer.
I've got to get on this. TSL recommended it too. Blue Ruin was right up my street so it bodes well.

Kreuzweg [Stations Of The Cross] (Dietrich Brüggemann, 2014)

Religious in theme; marvellously human in impact

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Glad you enjoyed it! Did TCM play the short interview with the actual townspeople before the movie, or just started with the feature?
Just the movie, with the reporter- almost looked like a documentary for a second.

The Beguiled (2017)

I love the original and enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. It is very well cast and beautiful to look at. It seemed to move quickly and was very upfront with it's theme. Nicole Kidman was hot and bothered not even 15 minutes in, something she plays very well. It was so to the point that I found much of the movie humorous.*

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Before I Fall

(Ry Russo-Young)

Before I Fall and other films like it, make me really appreciate the brilliance of Groundhog Day. Despite a good lead performance from Zoey Deutch, the film tries way too hard to force its message of redemption down your throat that it practically chokes you. I can see the film working well for the target demo of teen girls, but for everyone else it's a bit of a misfire.

Sam is a classic "mean girl". Her and her friends routinely pick on the outcast girl, Juliet while acting as the queen bees. Sam is dating the popular good-looking guy in the school and routinely ignores the advances of an old-friend who clearly has feelings for her. Sam and her friends go to a party, have too much to drink and are finally confronted by Juliet. They leave in a hurry after the confrontation and get into a car accident, killing everyone.

But you guessed it...Sam wakes up alive. Reliving the same day over and over. The film doesn't use this to its advantage though. Of course you have the typical scenes where they know what people are going to say beforehand, but the film really does gloss over the reliving parts in favour of showcasing it only three times. Once when she first relives it, then when she decides she can say and do whatever she wants, finally when she thinks she figures it out. I know she is stuck in this loop, but I didn't 'feel' it, if that makes any sense.

All the girls in this were believable in their roles. Deutch manages to make you sympathize with her despite how rude she can be to people, even her own family. One of the real problems with the film lies within the ANTI-BULLY message. Yes, we get it, being a bully is wrong and I applaud a film that wants to teach young girls a good message. The bad part is how this film forces this message down your throat every chance it gets. Makes it feel like an after school special at points.

Before I Fall has plenty of missteps and if it weren't for a good cast, would be even worse. Stick with Groundhog Day, it perfected this genre.

Suspect's Reviews

Fancy costumes and colorfull light are not enough. Main characters are teengers, who shoot to their enemies with fascinating self-confidence and scowled brows. They deliver bombastic speeches about love, when they have a break in fighting. @edarsenal, You were right. It's dissapointing. Where is old good Luc?
BTW, Rihanna is very... hm... flexible

The beginning of this movie showed so much promise. Just like with "Up", it shows a heartwarming and significant story all during a music montage during the opening credits. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there. While the movie is beautiful, it is devoid of the simple story with heart premise that made the director's previous science fiction movie, The Fifth Element, a blockbuster.

Hi I am Salam.Thank for nice post
Welcome to the forum! I hope that you enjoy your time here. Jump in discussions or just read as you like. We are here to discuss, share and enjoy movies and I hope that you find a home here.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Before I Fall

(Ry Russo-Young)

Before I Fall and other films like it, make me really appreciate the brilliance of Groundhog Day. Despite a good lead performance from Zoey Deutch, the film tries way too hard to force its message of redemption down your throat that it practically chokes you. I can see the film working well for the target demo of teen girls, but for everyone else it's a bit of a misfire.

Sam is a classic "mean girl". Her and her friends routinely pick on the outcast girl, Juliet while acting as the queen bees. Sam is dating the popular good-looking guy in the school and routinely ignores the advances of an old-friend who clearly has feelings for her. Sam and her friends go to a party, have too much to drink and are finally confronted by Juliet. They leave in a hurry after the confrontation and get into a car accident, killing everyone.

But you guessed it...Sam wakes up alive. Reliving the same day over and over. The film doesn't use this to its advantage though. Of course you have the typical scenes where they know what people are going to say beforehand, but the film really does gloss over the reliving parts in favour of showcasing it only three times. Once when she first relives it, then when she decides she can say and do whatever she wants, finally when she thinks she figures it out. I know she is stuck in this loop, but I didn't 'feel' it, if that makes any sense.

All the girls in this were believable in their roles. Deutch manages to make you sympathize with her despite how rude she can be to people, even her own family. One of the real problems with the film lies within the ANTI-BULLY message. Yes, we get it, being a bully is wrong and I applaud a film that wants to teach young girls a good message. The bad part is how this film forces this message down your throat every chance it gets. Makes it feel like an after school special at points.

Before I Fall has plenty of missteps and if it weren't for a good cast, would be even worse. Stick with Groundhog Day, it perfected this genre.

I didn't think the ending of Before I Fall worked well. It gets the message across to the viewer, but not to the other characters in the movie. Nothing happened that will stop the other mean girls from bullying the outcast girl.

Hello , I'm a new user here.
(The Hitman's Bodyguard) 10/10 I really like the genre of comedy and action but this one is a big hit. Big thanks to Patrick Hughes.

Wish Upon (2017)

Unfortunately... not as bad of a movie as I thought it would be. A few unintentionally funny moments, and not really scary. It just kind of is something that is ok to have on in the background on a Sunday.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	meh.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	40138  

The Three Musketeers (Allan Dwan, 1939)
+
One for all and two for five! ... or summat like that anyway

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The beginning of this movie showed so much promise. Just like with "Up", it shows a heartwarming and significant story all during a music montage during the opening credits. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there. While the movie is beautiful, it is devoid of the simple story with heart premise that made the director's previous science fiction movie, The Fifth Element, a blockbuster.
Excactly! Like he couldn't bring together ambitious story with special effects

Sleepless in Seattle (1993)

+

I watched this because it's on the top 100 passions list and is eligible for the female directors countdown. I was never interested in seeing this before because I'm a guy, and I never used to like Meg Ryan. I did start to like her once she starred in In the Cut; maybe it was her sex scenes. Ok it was definitely her sex scenes. Anyway I was happy during the opening credits to see Tom Hanks was the star as I was thinking it was Billy Crystal. This was just before Hanks became a huge serious star, and as much as I like him now, I liked him more then. The kid was real good in this but Rosie O'Donnell was a disaster. I loved all of the movie references and even got a little misty eyed a few times. My wife didn't know what I was watching because I had my headphones on. I guess I let out a little wimper at the end and she asked me what was wrong. Kiss my ass.