President Trump

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I have had the book since the 4th as a word document -- if anyone wants it, "it's just a PM away, it's just a kiss away"

Just give PM me an e-mail address -- heck, make one up (I do it for spam, etc), unless you know another way to get it out..

Don't worship this book. It's sheer sensationalism and there's no way to be certain which parts of it are true or not. Several parts have already been proven to be completely wrong.

Don't let your hate for Trump blind you. It's not worth giving up your values for.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think most sensible readers will just view whatever snippets they see the way they read current news reporting - with a grain of sand.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Ha! I dont even know why I typed sand. Must be some sort of sign -I'll have to write a conspiracy theory and wait for it to go viral. Thanks Mark.

Don't worship this book. It's sheer sensationalism and there's no way to be certain which parts of it are true or not. Several parts have already been proven to be completely wrong.

Don't let your hate for Trump blind you. It's not worth giving up your values for.
I doubt anybody is "worshiping" this book, but like it or not, Wolff had amazing access to the White House and those who work there. He is upfront in the introduction that due to the culture of lying going on there that he was told untrue things and had to do his best to sort through it. It seems a safe bet that the book gives a very accurate account of the first nine months of Trump's presidency as a whole, and yes a few details are certainly wrong, but there isn't a non-fiction book about any president ever that is 100% accurate, including any presidential memoir.

I intend to buy the book for one simple reason: to say f--- you to Trump for threatening, yet again, litigation over a First Amendment issue. It cracks me up when he wishes there were tougher libel laws so something like this couldn't be published, yet he's spent his entire life lying and many years using twitter to spread libelous nonsense. I for one value free speech, and surprisingly few things in the book have been disputed so far, and the couple details that have were insignificant.

I doubt anybody is "worshiping" this book
The internet tells me otherwise.

Wolff had amazing access to the White House and those who work there. He is upfront in the introduction that due to the culture of lying going on there that he was told untrue things and had to do his best to sort through it.
His whole book is based on gossip. He quotes people directly while they're mostly based on second-, third- or fourthhand accounts. When you see the mistakes that have already been revealed, it's also very clear that very little to no research was done. He basically writes about all the gossip he has been fed as if it is all true. Disclaimer or not, that's the whole concept of the book. There's very little to no transparency about where each passage came from.
If you think this should be the new standard for historical works, that deeply worries me, as I know from your posts that you are a very intelligent person. If someone like you is already willing to take this seductive bait, that is really not a good sign.

It seems a safe bet that the book gives a very accurate account of the first nine months of Trump's presidency as a whole, and yes a few details are certainly wrong, but there isn't a non-fiction book about any president ever that is 100% accurate, including any presidential memoir.
Comparing this book to well researched biographies and memoirs is truly a slap in the face to all the great writers and researchers who actually did the proper work to give us a reliable view on history.
If this mindset is what we're heading towards as a society (if we haven't already), that deeply worries me.

I intend to buy the book for one simple reason: to say f--- you to Trump for threatening, yet again, litigation over a First Amendment issue. It cracks me up when he wishes there were tougher libel laws so something like this couldn't be published, yet he's spent his entire life lying and many years using twitter to spread libelous nonsense.
I'm not going to argue that Trump deserves something like this. He absolutely does. I'm just saying that the reaction to this book will almost assure that there will be many more books in the future (and about future presidents that you may like) that are purely based on gossip which will be hyped like this one, as you've all made sure that this is now regarded as 'fair game'.
If you don't want people to be poisoned by unverified rumours and gossip for the rest of existence, you surely have to see this as a bad thing?

If you don't want people to be poisoned by unverified rumours and gossip for the rest of existence, you surely have to see this as a bad thing?
You seriously think this is a new thing? Weve been swimming in "unverified rumours and gossip" since the reign of King George (and I mean The III, not Bush).

You seriously think this is a new thing? Weve been swimming in "unverified rumours and gossip" since the reign of King George (and I mean The III, not Bush).
Of course I don't (I clearly indicate that in my post). I just don't think it's wise to participate in that kind of culture, even if it momentarily gives you extra ammunition against your enemies.

Trump will not tolerate terrorist anymore... Agree?

The only question I have is this: what will the inevitable "President Trump" movie be like? Who will star and who will direct?

The only question I have is this: what will the inevitable "President Trump" movie be like? Who will star and who will direct?
Hmmm... not sure where I'm getting this from but... Harrison Ford will star of course!
(Tarantino will direct.)

The internet tells me otherwise.

His whole book is based on gossip. He quotes people directly while they're mostly based on second-, third- or fourthhand accounts. When you see the mistakes that have already been revealed, it's also very clear that very little to no research was done. He basically writes about all the gossip he has been fed as if it is all true. Disclaimer or not, that's the whole concept of the book. There's very little to no transparency about where each passage came from.
If you think this should be the new standard for historical works, that deeply worries me, as I know from your posts that you are a very intelligent person. If someone like you is already willing to take this seductive bait, that is really not a good sign.

Comparing this book to well researched biographies and memoirs is truly a slap in the face to all the great writers and researchers who actually did the proper work to give us a reliable view on history.
If this mindset is what we're heading towards as a society (if we haven't already), that deeply worries me.

I'm not going to argue that Trump deserves something like this. He absolutely does. I'm just saying that the reaction to this book will almost assure that there will be many more books in the future (and about future presidents that you may like) that are purely based on gossip which will be hyped like this one, as you've all made sure that this is now regarded as 'fair game'.
You’re overstating things to the point of absurdity. This book isn’t signaling the impending death of researched biographies. It has made no claims to being anything it isn’t. What it does is give a glimpse inside this White House and if it seems like sensationalism then blame Trumpy for running things like a really trashy reality show.

I’m flattered you believe me someone of some intelligence but it’s rather condescending to express disappointment that I’ve fallen for the “seductive bait.” You need to realize somebody reading this book is doing so for his own reasons. I gave the reason I intend to buy it. If all I wanted were books bashing Trump, I have dozens to choose from, if I were so inclined.

Claiming people are “worshiping” this book is engaging in your own hyperbolic sensationalism.

Maybe I’ll find the book is it’s own form of trash but I have the freedom to discover that on my own. I don’t want a president professing an autocratic desire to shut down criticism.

You’re overstating things to the point of absurdity. This book isn’t signaling the impending death of researched biographies. It has made no claims to being anything it isn’t. What it does is give a glimpse inside this White House and if it seems like sensationalism then blame Trumpy for running things like a really trashy reality show.
It's clearly a product of our (increasingly) sensationalist culture and everyone who buys it and gives it the kind of overblown positive attention it is getting now, is, in my opinion, contributing to that culture. You may think that's absurd, but to me this simply seems self-evident and logical.
You're kneeling at the altar of "alternative facts", while this is probably one of the main reasons why you hate the Trump presidency so much. Not seeing the painful paradox here just seems blind.

I’m flattered you believe me someone of some intelligence but it’s rather condescending to express disappointment that I’ve fallen for the “seductive bait.” You need to realize somebody reading this book is doing so for his own reasons. I gave the reason I intend to buy it. If all I wanted were books bashing Trump, I have dozens to choose from, if I were so inclined.

Maybe I’ll find the book is it’s own form of trash but I have the freedom to discover that on my own. I don’t want a president professing an autocratic desire to shut down criticism.
You gave your reasons and of course I respect your freedom to buy this book. That doesn't mean I can't disagree with your way of thinking. I think, by buying this kind of book en masse, people are only poisoning our culture more than it already was.

Claiming people are “worshiping” this book is engaging in your own hyperbolic sensationalism.
Look at how many copies have already been sold even before the book was in stores. Look at the kind of reactions it's getting from anti-Trump people. "Worship" is a completely accurate and appropriate word to use here.