Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
56 Up - 9/10

I saw this in the late 90s, so the one I saw was 42 up.

This was a great idea, to take 7-yr olds, and to do a documentary at 14, 21, etc... I wish they wouldn't have used so much backup footage, and only use about 5 minutes of new material each time. Sometimes, they didn't even use the good footage.. In 1964, they asked kids what they thought about The Beatles - that would have been nice to revist, since no one knew how influential they would be in culture. The director should realize if we're still watching, we probably know about the past, and only a minimum amount of time should have been used.

Still, very great, and will watch the American (I'm from the US, but found the UK first), and the Russian, Swedish, South African, etc...

I love documentaries like "Place de la Republique" by Louis Malle, and "Dark Days" which is on YouTube in full.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The Florida Project

Man i loved this. Not sure what my white trash fixation has been the last couple of years with American Honey being my favourite of 2016, but yeah this was excellent.
This picture remaind me exactly American Honey, which I don't like. I haven't seen TFP yet, but I've heard a lot of good opinion about it. The same was with AH, so I wonder, if I like The Florida Project.

Raw

Quite disturbing 2016 French/Belgian Horror drama with darkly sexual themes, a more twisted ginger Snaps, nicely shot, not at all what I was expecting

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I'm sure this is the movie that gave me a thorough loathing for franchises. WTH were they thinking. And Dennis Quaid please. Dude, we know when you're acting. No need to run so hard saying Hey...look at me I'm acting running. And lolol, sharks dont just sit down to a new york cut with a knife and fork, and gently nibble away at it while passing on the broccoli.

Such a bad movie.

Did you watch it in 3D? And was it the crappy red and blue 3D? Cause that's the only way to watch

JAWS 3D

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Did you watch it in 3D? And was it the crappy red and blue 3D? Cause that's the only way to watch

JAWS 3D
No it was on tv and we were just going to check it for a laugh before going to bed but I got totally focussed on how crappy it was. And how much Alan's music annoyed the hell out of me, and that freaking shark who kept doing things sharks just dont do. I think in 3D the dolphins at the end would have had me laughing hysterically.

When A Stranger Calls (Simon West, 2006)

Too much repetitive build-up for too little pay-off imo

I haven't seen all of them, but so far it is:

That whole scene is a peach, thanks for that!!! I think Sam Rockwell should at least have a shout at Best Supporting?

This picture remaind me exactly American Honey, which I don't like. I haven't seen TFP yet, but I've heard a lot of good opinion about it. The same was with AH, so I wonder, if I like The Florida Project.
Both focus on white trash people, but other than that they aren't similar.

Safari (2016) by Ulrich Seidl

Graduation (2016) by Christian Mungiu

The Ornithologist (2016) by João Pedro Rodrigues
+

Shanghai Express (1932) by Josef von Sternberg

Bal (2010) by Semih Kaplanoglu
+

urself and Yours (2016) by Sang-soo Hong
+

In Another Country (2012) by Sang-soo Hong

Sieranevada (2016) by Cristi Puiu
+

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Both focus on white trash people, but other than that they aren't similar.
I have ticket to the cinema, so I will watch Florida soon

That whole scene is a peach, thanks for that!!! I think Sam Rockwell should at least have a shout at Best Supporting?
I always like Sam Rockwell, but frankly I am not sure if his performance in 3 Billboards will guarantee his nomination for Best Supporting. What are the competitions this year?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He is one of the favorites, along with Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins and the two guys from Call Me By Your Name.

Just got back from the cinema and seen The Greatest Showman. Ok, so it may not be historically correct and is a very Disney-fied version of the true story. However, the music is catchy, the message is inspirational and reminds its audience to accept anyone and everyone for what they are!
Annie. x

the two guys from Call Me By Your Name.
It took me ages to realize Olivier played the Winklevoss twins in The Social Network, i thought he sounded like Jon Hamm. Great performance.

Twin Peaks: The Return : 2017
/ Possibly
I dunno.
Jesus, I gotta think about this. Half of it is absolute brilliance, and the other half is subplots that have no effect on the main story or the mentally disabled version of Cooper doing stupid s*it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Just came from the cinema. My closest friends all hated the movie so my expectations weren't high!

Even so, there are some things I liked about it and the things I didn't I think I understand what went wrong.
Apart from the flaws this movie brought from the previous one: a weak villain and a story line supported on an actress who simply can't act (Carrie Fisher), the movie has the heart in the right place. It has a clear will to step away from the past which has a lot of value. Most decisions plotwise were the opposite of what we saw happening again and again in the past, which brought some unexpected freshness to the story.

Where I think the movie fails is in its execution. It has too many separate storylines and at least one of them (Rose and Finn's) is completely unnecessary. The narrative is a mess because it's not well guided, it becomes confusing, the pacing dies and the movie simple doesn't pick up, it becomes boring. As soon as they unify them all, in the last 30 minutes or so, it becomes interesting but because the characters were not given enough time to grow we simply can't relate to them so we don't care about what happens on the screen.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Luke's death for instance, wouldn't be as anti climatic as it was if the we had had more from him on the island. We don't understand his motivations and what really made him hate the Jedi.

Overall, the movie is 30/40 minutes too long, and the parts that should be explored are not but maybe, just maybe, left a open way for a solid final entry of this trilogy.

-

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Where I think the movie fails is in its execution. It has too many separate storylines and at least one of them (Rose and Finn's) is completely unnecessary. The narrative is a mess because it's not well guided, it becomes confusing, the pacing dies and the movie simple doesn't pick up, it becomes boring. As soon as they unify them all, in the last 30 minutes or so, it becomes interesting but because the characters were not given enough time to grow we simply can't relate to them so we don't care about what happens on the screen.

WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
Luke's death for instance, wouldn't be as anti climatic as it was if the we had had more from him on the island. We don't understand his motivations and what really made him hate the Jedi.

Overall, the movie is 30/40 minutes too long, and the parts that should be explored are not but maybe, just maybe, left a open way for a solid final entry of this trilogy.

This. My feelings exactly. After a while I just stopped caring about the characters or want to follow so many different ongoing subplots. In the classic 3 movies, the core group would be split up at various intervals, but brought back together much sooner & with less threads to try to keep track of.

Lost In Yonkers (Martha Coolidge, 1993)

Watched this for the upcoming Directed by Women Countdown Link

I was impressed by the serenity of the film, especially
Mercedes Ruehl's performance as a mentally slow adult. This is based on the hugely successful stage play by Neil Simon and Tony Award winners Mercedes Ruehl and Irene Worth reprise their roles here in the movie.

The film is pretty well grounded and despite what the movie posters might look like this is a serious study of a dysfunctional family. Yes it does have some light comedy, BUT it's a well done drama that starts out promising and ends in an unexpected way, that I found to be quite rewarding.

This is a new favorite movie of mine!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost in Yonkers 1993.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	39961