The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
I would pay to see all of us doing swivelling scorpion kicks

---

Ach, I know I'm biased, because VR plays into a lot of my gaming prefs ('active' gaming complementing heart-racing action / immersion for escapist and sim fare). Plus I welcome the standing aspects after a day seated at work, like trying indie experiments, and don't mind graphical scuzziness if needed. So essentially none of the VR output is closed off to me, and hence I've been in constantly for 6 months. I guess I just think everyone should be like me . (Well mainly I just want y'all to get in on the fun . Even if it is early days still, for sure.)

(PS sell your Switch )

The People's Republic of Clogher
Actually, since I bought the Pro Controller I've been using the Switch a lot more, including starting Zelda again. I'll probably not finish Zelda, because even though I'm having a lot more fun with it now that I'm not shackled to Joycons, the combat is still crap, weapon durability is still an awful mechanic and a lot of the dungeons are still not fun.

Bayonetta 2 is getting a remaster tho, and with the promise of 3 (probably next year) there's enough promise for me to keep the thing sitting in its dock, waiting.

Yeah seems a shame that a few duff mechanics overshadow the open worlding and that. Seemed so promising at launch.

But hey, they've got Rocket League on it now too . (They should really do some kind of hybrid with Splatoon...)

A system of cells interlinked
RE: Bitcoin

People gave up mining BTC with CPU/GPU rigs a while back; it's ridiculously inefficient these days. All the BTC miners run ASIC rigs now. That said, there are other coins that use a blockchain that is geared more for GPUs. Litecoin is a GPU coin, and it's gained a lot of popularity recently.

Crypto trading is my new favorite video game!

RE: Bitcoin

People gave up mining BTC with CPU/GPU rigs a while back; it's ridiculously inefficient these days. All the BTC miners run ASIC rigs now. That said, there are other coins that use a blockchain that is geared more for GPUs. Litecoin is a GPU coin, and it's gained a lot of popularity recently.

Crypto trading is my new favorite video game!
Oh well thank god for that . (I guess as popularity balloons more amateurs are gonna slide in and shore up the 'why not dual use my home computer' side of the equation for a while, but hopefully the pros will keep migrating then )

I haven't got beyond looking askance at it all. Got vaguely piqued by a GPU-rendering-currency IPO (RNDR) a while back, but it didn't carry me along as far as opening the requisite Etherium wallet. (Essentially, the bit of my brain that shouts 'YOU DON'T ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND ANY OF THIS' was still vaguely audible over the roar of fuzzy PR speak )

A system of cells interlinked
It's all weird internet fako money for drug dealers, though. Isn't it?
Some of the coins, for sure, especially the alleged "privacy" coins that are designed specifically to get around regulation and use completely anonymous systems to transact. Most people just use the crypto space like stock market - a wild and crazy unregulated stock market. Buy some coins, wait until they go up, sell the coins.

It's all weird internet fako money for drug dealers, though. Isn't it?
Mikey's only selling Libertarianism. And he won't tell you where to buy it.

Some of the coins, for sure, especially the alleged "privacy" coins that are designed specifically to get around regulation and use completely anonymous systems to transact. Most people just use the crypto space like stock market - a wild and crazy unregulated stock market. Buy some coins, wait until they go up, sell the coins.
I have watched a few vids of guys just IPO-hopping. (Buying in, selling off post launch, literally just going by the PR bumph and relying on a good launch). Def get the wild west vibe.

The cynic in me thinks most of these coins have got to be overvalued vs their utility, but it does look like fun to just pure speculate for a bit.

Will be interesting to see if any of them really can become decentralised currencies with broad acceptance. And if anyone can find a balance between the ole trust ledger and the crazy energy cost

---

Erm, right games. I played a robot in space and it was good. It looked like this:

Also, I streamed more FO4VR into some words for Yods

Mikey's only selling Libertarianism. And he won't tell you where to buy it.
Bloody librarians. Ruining everything with their fake weirdo drug money and overdue fees.

Anyway, what's better than the photorealistic avatars you get to create in Everybody's Golf?

Five of them, all hangin' out!

It's like the world's sexiest boyband!

I have to interrupt this thread with some old Star Citizenshippery:

This is just shocking:

'Sample Reddit Survey':

[Source found here - June 2016]

22.7% of those fans, in a sizeable survey, had spent over a grand? On a game that doesn't exist yet? WTLF?

---
DISCLAIMER: I can't judge wholesale. I'm over Ł200 deep into Elite I reckon, and Ł50 of that is a punt on future content. (The rest is all pre-purchases, cosmetic splurges, and gift copies for mates because I'm cruel like that )

DOUBLE DISCLAIMER: But I'm going to anyway
---

I mean this is all old news. Star Citizen generates some crazy crowd-sourced funds. (Polygon have just calcumalated that SC raised 2x the money of every other video game on Kickstarter combined in 2017, using SC's own tracker stats). It's just one of the magnetically odd things at play.

Is it all legit? If so... Why? Why are they doing this? Why are they spending quite so much on an increasing stack of unlikely looking promises? Good money follows bad?

(And if the official numbers are bloated and faked to inspire confidence, how are they keeping the lights on internally?)

Anyway I'm baffled

---

NB ongoing stuff is also fun too

The current dramady is: Juicy details are now jiggling into place with the Crytek lawsuit. Those reading the tea leaves suggest Crytek are mighty pissed at having a ton of their workforce lifted by SC (including the guy who wrote the Game Licensing Agreement that they say has been reneged on ), and are going not just hard, but after individuals too. It's a livid lawsuit...

As a bonus, bizarro-dev extraordinaire Derek Smart is suing some YTers for calling him a doxxer, and plans to extend his case to the SC guys, who he claims started the meme...)

---

Message Ends:

I definitely have a problem. I just watched a man in Star Citizen try and get a sunbeam off his face for ten minutes...

(I was Twitch hopping to see if I'd been too harsh on it alright )

I filmed a ramble through FO4VR's gameplay and mechanics.

It probably involves swearing. I can't remember

I filmed a ramble through FO4VR's gameplay and mechanics.

It probably involves swearing. I can't remember
You know, I didn't even notice that little blue dot thing until you pointed it out. Now it's all I see.

My Xbone is basically an emulator box and I spent all day playing Oblivion on it.

The combat really hasn't aged well - I was constantly getting stun-locked until I remembered that you can't just wade in, like you can with Skyrim, and batter your opponents. Even with adjustments made, Oblivion felt like what it was - A 12 year old open world action game.

Bethesda's face-tech, a source of great amusement even in 2005, is as bug-eyed and awful as I remembered. Behold this handsome gentleorc!

But, man, do I love just being in that world.

Oblivion was criticised at release for not being as interesting to travel around as Morrowind but I never saw much wrong with the way it was depicted. Cyrodiil is Bethesda's answer to Middle Earth/England in the Middle Ages, the seat of Imperial power and a cultural melting pot. It's farmland and ports.

Anyway, according to the game I've got 8 hours logged in over the past few days and haven't even touched the main quest. I've been picking a direction and walking in it, veering off whenever a waypoint appears on my HUD and reacquainting myself with old haunts.

I'm falling for it all over again, and I've not even started the Dark Brotherhood (Oblivion's is easily the best set of faction quests in the Elder Scrolls series) line yet.

Skyrim may well be Bethesda's most polished RPG and Morrowind its most vibrant, but Oblivion is my favourite.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
@Tacitus

I'm crying with laughter.

All's fair in love and PUBG.