The Videogames Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Assassin's Creed - Black Flag

A couple weeks ago, I saw a random post about how Ubi was giving this game away for free. I played AC2, but had never picked the series up again. I figured for free, what did I have to lose? Glad I took a minute to download this. Super fun game! Love the ship to ship combat. The land-based stuff is your basic stealth assassin gig, but still fun for what it is. Avast!

there's a frog in my snake oil
Go NO HUD, go NO HUD

Although in fairness it's a mammoth pain on foot. Go back to HUD for that

(EDIT yes this is my vid, and back when I bothered monetising them. But I can assure you I don't make any cash of them. Ergo not spam )

"Luck don't live out here."

This is my obligatory request that, if you stream it, you let us know so I can watch.
Ha! I used to stream quite a bit, but I don't really do it anymore. If I do get the itch to do it and stream Fallout 4, though, I'll let you know.

A system of cells interlinked
Awesome storm! It has been pretty fair skies for me so far, but I am not very far into the game yet. I think you have a weapon I haven't seen yet, as well. Will try the no HUD thing asap!

Awesome storm! It has been pretty fair skies for me so far, but I am not very far into the game yet. I think you have a weapon I haven't seen yet, as well. Will try the no HUD thing asap!
They actually do a nice little number in 'weather as boss' at one point . And yeah think you unlock a third ship weapon (mortar?) as you go.

Definitely the best AC since the 2nd one. The fighting works nicely for ship boarding. I found myself actually going for higher tier weapons for a change (ones with quick reactions) just so I could fight more effectively without the riposte cue. You really can do all the sea stuff just from physical cues and animations. (Using the telescope, knowing your speed setting from how high the sails are rigged etc, staying on the move so remaining riflemen struggle to tag you etc).

I kinda tried manfully navigating on land just using the map and landmarks, but the islands are just too squirrely. Had to turn the glow bling back on for that :/

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Been playing a bit of PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds on Xbox

It's very frustrating at times but the idea of death being final makes it super fun when you make it deep into top 10.

Game still freezes occasionally which is very annoying, it provides some big shocks when you are creeping around and some crafty S.O.B is waiting....BANG....game over, no insta respawn and onto the next match.

Fortnite is so much fun.

it's my main game right now

The People's Republic of Clogher
it provides some big shocks when you are creeping around and some crafty S.O.B is waiting....BANG....game over, no insta respawn and onto the next match.
That was me, sorry.

I think that's what makes games like PUBG a lot more satisfying to me than your typical modern multiplayer shooter module - It means something when you muck up. Ok, you're straight back into a lobby for another game, but everyone and everything has also reset.

Death doesn't matter in, say, COD or Destiny multiplayer but when you off someone in PUBG you get the feeling that you're ruining someone's day a little.

Oo, so it seems Nvidia have totally hosed up at a structural level, leaving their kernel memory open to hacking, and have to patch in a workaround that'll make their CPUs up to 30% less efficient. The Register piece is a good read.

PC Gamer seem to think it's more of a problem for big networked set ups though, and gamer level use shouldn't be too badly hit.

(Hope not, if I lose any more frames in FO4VR I'll be back in zoetrope territory :/)

Oo, so it seems Nvidia have totally hosed up at a structural level, leaving their kernel memory open to hacking, and have to patch in a workaround that'll make their CPUs up to 30% less efficient. The Register piece is a good read.

PC Gamer seem to think it's more of a problem for big networked set ups though, and gamer level use shouldn't be too badly hit.

(Hope not, if I lose any more frames in FO4VR I'll be back in zoetrope territory :/)
What CPU are you running?

What with the RAM price hike and Bitcoin mining pushing GPU prices way beyond what's sensible, I'm going take a back seat on PC gaming for a while.

My current set-up (minus the GPU, which is a couple of years old) was built in Jan 2014 and I'd thought about a new CPU/RAM/Mobo combo at the very least for this year, with an i7 being the only way to go.

I can wait.... for a couple of years if necessary.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
That was me, sorry.

I think that's what makes games like PUBG a lot more satisfying to me than your typical modern multiplayer shooter module - It means something when you muck up. Ok, you're straight back into a lobby for another game, but everyone and everything has also reset.

Death doesn't matter in, say, COD or Destiny multiplayer but when you off someone in PUBG you get the feeling that you're ruining someone's day a little.
Yeah that'd what I was getting at with instant respawns. In this game that 15 minutes of weapon collection and travelling to play zone is gone with one little mistake. So much pressure too when you are in last 5 or something. Love it.

Yeah that'd what I was getting at with instant respawns. In this game that 15 minutes of weapon collection and travelling to play zone is gone with one little mistake. So much pressure too when you are in last 5 or something. Love it.
I think I've had 4 solo chicken dinners now and, every single time, the adrenaline dump has been so large that I need to get up and go for a walk outside for a bit.

That said, I've hardly touched the game on PC since it went 1.0, and hardly at all on Xbox. Time to get back on the horse!

What CPU are you running?

What with the RAM price hike and Bitcoin mining pushing GPU prices way beyond what's sensible, I'm going take a back seat on PC gaming for a while.

My current set-up (minus the GPU, which is a couple of years old) was built in Jan 2014 and I'd thought about a new CPU/RAM/Mobo combo at the very least for this year, with an i7 being the only way to go.

I can wait.... for a couple of years if necessary.
Got an i5 4690. No idea if that's in the affected range but assuming so.

Yeah can't wait for the damn bitcoin bubble to burst on the GPU front. (Although how the hell can it burst when it's almost impossible the spend the stuff? I'm assuming there'll be a huge flood into Etherium variants at some point, but they need mining too so... hmph :/)

As it stands not even the next gen is going to push a 1070 down into my price range at this rate. Meh.

It's cool for now though, the 970/i5 are nursing VR along. (Plus I've been circling an old electronic drumkit and an even-older trumpet, they can be my backup toys for a bit )

My mad idea of spending £600 on a graphics card a couple of years ago is actually, finally, thank God, starting to make a bit of sense. The 980ti still powers through everything at 1080p and only games which are designed with hyperthreading CPUs in mind are even a slight problem, and by problem I mean I can't run it at 100fps on Ultra, so it's not really a problem.

Even if I upgraded my 4670k, I'd still keep the 980ti until I finally decided to get rid of my 1080p monitor. I'm still not convinced 4k is the way to go on PC, purely because even 1080tis can't get comparable framerates to lesser cards running at 1080p. Maybe in a generation or two.

Now, if I could find a good £300 1440p/144hz monitor....

Now, if I could find a good £300 1440p/144hz monitor....
You could get a Rift for that.

(You know I'm going to be remorseless on this )

You could get a Rift for that. (You know I'm going to be remorseless on this )
Honestly, mate, I've got no interest right now. Rift/Vive II maybe, but I'm seeing nothing personally which will make me jump in.

And you know I'm not one to not spend money on tech.

Honestly, mate, I've got no interest right now. Rift/Vive II maybe, but I'm seeing nothing personally which will make me jump in.

And you know I'm not one to not spend money on tech.
Yeahhh I know. And waiting for second gen is absolutely the wisest thing to do objectively.

Equally objectively though, a current gen Rift would give you gaming experiences that a quality screen categorically can't

(And subjectively, if you do get a chance to try one of the better ones, def give it a go. There's gotta be a sim-enthusiast somewhere near ya. Just find one you can trust while you have your head in a box )

My Switch will probably be the only £300 bit of frippery that I occasionally use for the foreseeable future.

If Bayonetta 3 was to be announced as VR-only then that might change, but it'll mean selling the Switch.