4. East of Eden
5. Arrival
6. Touch of Evil
7. Brooklyn
8. Cranes are Flying
9. Pursued
10. Don't Breathe

Or something like this

Here is my list. It looks something like this...

The List

1. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father
A very different and honest documentary slash exploring of the human mind, body and soul. It gave me something to think about, both as a documentary, a movie about people and a personal piece. Often very haunting but also extremely beautiful.

2. Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Wow. Why did I wait so long to see this? I was completely swept away by the images and sound. So much comes out of so little and it's almost magical and unreal in nature. Kinski is great.

3. The Cranes Are Flying
Visually and technically, this is one of the best movies I have ever seen. The images are filmed, edited and scored in such a way, that the visual language accompanies the harsh war story in amazing ways and it simply stimulates my cinema-loving heart and mind. It's cinematic-art-overload to me. So beautiful, so complex, but the movie just does it all with ease. So impressive.

4. Room
I did not read up on this movie and that benefitted my experience of the movie. I had no idea what it was about, so the journey for these characters were very close to heart. Great peformances all around and a very unique and humanly strong and real story. Loved it.

5. Brief Encounter
Felt very different from other movies from it's time, which it was also criticised for when it came out. But today we can understand it more and appreciate it more. And this was a very different "romance" and great moviemaking all around.

6. Caché
Haunting... absolutely haunting. Disturbing, creepy, unsettling. Very unique experience this one and Haneke understands the power of images, time and timing. He has mastered the art of having a set-up impressive enough to just let it roll, unfold and happen. That ONE scene though... holy f*ck I almost fainted!

7. Swiss Army Man
Surprise, surprise. The dumbest most silly and childish movie turns out to be the most grown up and honest movie I've seen in a while. It even seems to understand human emotions and the human mind in ways I haven't quite seen before. It's funny, kind of sad and depressing, but also extremely beautiful and honest. Both leads are amazing and especially Radcliffe.

8. Leave Her to Heaven
This was darker than I'm used to for its time, and I loved it for it. Great movie.

9. Embrace of the Serpent
Another one of those where I'm just there, on this journey through the jungle, which has never been this colorful, despite being in black and white. Like Aguirre, a very otherwordly experience.

10. Ex Machina
Great sci-fi with interesting questions and interesting twists and turns. Good script despite not being completely perfect all the way through.

11. The Revenant
This comes in last because this list is about first time watches... I have seen the movie several times since and I think it's amazing now. Anyways, first and last watch, this is clearly a visually and technically impressive film, that has an underlying layer of spiritual power that lifts the already impressive revenge story - simple, but extremely effective revenge story.

Honorable Mentions

12. Anomalisa
13. Eye in the Sky
14. Kubo and the Two Strings
15. Straight Outta Compton
16. The Martian
17. Time Lapse

I watched 562 films in 2016 (491 first-time viewings, 71 re-watches). Pretty sure that's a personal best, although I've never kept track of my viewings in the past so I can't say for certain. Here are my favorite cinematic discoveries from the year:

#10) Ms .45 (1981)

Lurid and sleazy, provocative yet restrained, with more nuance and subtext than typical rape-and-revenge films, Ms .45 is low-budget filmmaking in its leanest, meanest, most potent form. This is proof that there are plenty of cinematic gems hiding in the gutter.

#9) All About Eve (1950)

All-time great script, all-time great dialogue, all-time great performances, all-time great villain. I won't be surprised if this thematically rich classic leapfrogs the other films on this list after repeated viewings.

#8) The Revenant (2015)

Stories involving man vs. nature, as well as simple revenge tales, regularly appeal to me anyway, but I especially get a hard-on for films driven by insane ambition where the physical and mental challenges, both behind and in front of the camera, are evident in every frame. Awe-inspiring.

#7) Mystery Train (1989)

Effortlessly cool, endearingly odd, with characters you want to befriend, deadpan humor that charms, and a languid, almost ethereal atmosphere that captures the myth of Memphis and all of its ghosts. Depending on how the movie holds up on subsequent viewings, this may surpass Dead Man as my favorite Jarmusch. Feels like the older, hipster, spiritual cousin to Pulp Fiction.

#6) The Honeymoon Killers (1970)

The anti-Bonnie and Clyde. No glamour. No banjo music. No regard for the audience's sympathy or personal comfort. Just a cynical, sordid, detached, cold-hearted, voyeuristic look at a bizarre, true-life romance and the couple's cruel, predatory crimes. The film has a rough, exploitative quality that enhances the seediness of the story. Hugely underrated. (Interesting tidbit: Scorsese started out as the director, but was fired within the first few days of filming for working too slowly.)

#5) Pink Flamingos (1972)

Hilarious. Disgusting. Shocking. Outrageous. Unforgettable. This taboo-shattering parade of filth is anarchic cinema at its finest. I had a *****-eating grin on my face the entire film, but unlike Divine's, at least mine wasn't literal.

#4) Children of Paradise (1945)

Objectively, this is the best film I watched last year. One of cinema's most stunning achievements. The only reason it isn't number one on this list is because I know its 3+ hour length will keep me from revisiting it as often as most of these other films. As if by magic, I felt transported to a different place and time, finding myself invested in the characters and their world on a much deeper level than I'm accustomed to as a viewer. The craft is impeccable. The storytelling is masterful. And just when I thought my appreciation for this gorgeous, heartbreaking film couldn't be any higher, I learned afterwards of the hardships that the crew faced during filming because of the Nazi occupation. Essential viewing.

#3) Lady Snowblood (1973)

Stylish, exhilarating, delicately choreographed and aesthetically gorgeous, Lady Snowblood is perhaps the ultimate revenge flick. This is blood spray as poetry. A perfect marriage of art-house and exploitation. I knew Kill Bill was heavily inspired by Lady Snowblood, but I was a bit taken aback by just how much Tarantino directly lifted from this film, almost to the point where it makes Kill Bill Vol. I feel like an unofficial remake.

#2) Brief Encounter (1945)

Possibly the greatest romance film I've seen. None of that gag-inducing, sentimental, happily-ever-after, grand-sweeping, Hollywood bullsh!t, but instead a film centered around normal, everyday characters dealing with a romance that feels natural, relatable, believable, messy and complex. I was inspired to watch it after reading all the discussion it provoked in one of the Hall of Fames last year. If the film's infidelity ruffled so many feathers among today's viewers, I can't imagine how bold and ahead of its time Brief Encounter must have felt in 1945. For a romance so seemingly plain on the outside, its emotional depth is extraordinary. Crazy how a simple squeeze of a shoulder can feel like the end of the world.

#1) Samurai Rebellion (1967)

No film I watched last year held me in its grip tighter than Samurai Rebellion. Graceful cinematography, compelling story, commanding performances. Feudal era or not, the themes remain universal. The tension escalates perfectly throughout the run-time, along with the emotional stakes. For a film involving samurai, there's very little swordplay, but the action is mesmerizing and edge-of-your-seat intense once it finally arrives. The ending floored me. One of the most impressive films I've ever seen. Also my first Kobayashi. Gonna make a point to rectify that this year.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
The Hidden Fortress (1958)
Rififi (1955)
The Cranes Are Flying (1957)
The Hateful Eight (2015)
Birdman (2014)
A Bullet for the General (1966)
The Driver (1978)
American Movie (1999)
Fires on the Plain (1959)
Kanal (1957)
The Lusty Men (1952)
The China Syndrome (1979)
Stone Cold (1991)
The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
The Missouri Breaks (1976)
My Name is Nobody (1973)
Ex Machina (2015)
Truck Turner (1974)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Naked Kiss (1964)
Freeway (1996)
Single White Female (1992)
Arrival (2016)
Death Race 2000 (1975)
Hanzo the Razor Trilogy (1972, 1973, 1974)
The Major and the Minor (1942)
Sansho the Bailiff (1954)
Ikiru (1952)
Scanners (1981)
Heavenly Creatures (1994)
Turbo Kid (2015)
Nightcrawler (2014)
Intruder (1989)
Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)
Summer With Monika (1953)
Hooper (1978)
Black Mama, White Mama (1973)
The Hanging Tree (1959)
eXistenZ (1999)
Belle de Jour (1967)
The Face of Another (1966)
The Devil's Rock (2011)
Miami Blues (1990)
Grease (1978)

“I was cured, all right!”
Top 10 movies that I watched for the first time in the last tree months.
*No particular order

01 The Twilight Samurai (2002)
02 The Handmaiden (2016)
03 Lost Highway (1997)
04 Mulholland Drive (2002)
05 Basic Instinct (1992)
06 New World (2013)
07 The Wailling (2016)
08 The Raid (2011)
09 The Raid 2 (2014)
10 The Wolves (1971)

My ten in no order. And realistically I could be forgetting some films:

Sideways
There's a few more that are very close, like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Fantastic Mr. Fox too. Those are the ten I would pick right now though.
Nice to see some love for Sideways...not a lot of discussion about that movie on these boards.

It's actually been discussed plenty. It was in a hall of fame and it was discussed in the Director Dissection that me, Sean and Raul did for Alexander Payne.

I watched 345 films this year, not sure how many were rewatches i'm guessing 30-50. I discovered so many good films this year that i don't think a top ten would do it justice so i've attempted a top 50. Obviously the ranking isn't set in stone if i was to do this tomorrow it would be totally different. Only going to post the first half right now, wanted to get half of it done since it's annoying getting all the pictures of stuff. Going out shortly and i won't be back online until the 2nd or 3rd most likely i'll finish it then.

50. Wendy and Lucy (Kelly Reichardt, 2008)

49. Nosferatu (F.W. Murnau, 1922)

48. Manchester By The Sea (Kenneth Lonergan, 2016)

47. The Kid With a Bike (Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne, 2011)

46. My Darling Clementine (John Ford, 1946)

45. Like Someone In Love (Abbas Kiarostami, 2012)

44. Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)

43. Paisan (Roberto Rosselini, 1946)

42. Meet Me In St.Louis (Vincente Minelli, 1944)

41. A Bittersweet Life (Kim Jee-woon, 2005)

40. Through The Olive Trees (Abbas Kiarostami, 1994)

39. Black Narcissus (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 1947)

38. Cleo From 5 To 7 (Agnes Varda, 1962)

37. I, Daniel Blake (Ken Loach, 2016)

36. Metropolitan (Whit Stillman, 1990)

35. The Cameraman (Buster Keaton, 1928)

34. Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper, 1980)

33. LA 92 (Daniel Lindsay and T. J. Martin, 2017)

32. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (Scott Glosserman, 2006)

31. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, 2013)

30. Young Mr. Lincoln (John Ford, 1939)

29. Diabolique (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1955)

28. Good Time (Ben and Josh Safdie, 2017)

27. Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957)

26. Love Streams (John Cassavetes, 1984)

Inland Empire

Andrei Rublev

Eraserhead

Blue Velvet

Come and See (Idi i smotri)

Call Me by Your Name

La La Land

Moonlight

Silence

Black Swan

Mother!

Lost Highway

The Ballad of Narayama

Manchester by the Sea

Mustang

The Third Man

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Arrival

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

A Touch of Zen

Traffic

Victim

S7ven

The Vanishing

Elle

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Son of Saul

Room

2 or 3 Things I Know About Her

Get Out

Drive

Lady Bird

The Producers

Chicago

Radio Days

Fences

Fat Girl

The Crying Game

Split

It (2017)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Bound to be more in this list. Adding a good portion of them soon.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

A lean year for new favorites, these were my best in no particular order-

Mommy
Red Angel
The Ox-Bow Incident
My Darling Clementine
The Hunt
The Broken Circle Breakdown
Children of Paradise
The Invisible Guest

Welcome to the human race...

1. The Phantom Carriage
2. Nosferatu the Vampyre
3. All That Jazz
4. Weekend
5. The Cremator
6. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
7. Cries and Whispers
8. Dead Ringers
9. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
10. Resident Evil: Retribution

Honourable mentions: Sans soleil, Stroszek, Southern Comfort, World on a Wire, Pather Panchali, Badlands, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, Au hasard Balthazar, A Man Escaped, Ace in the Hole, Scenes from a Marriage, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Inferno (1980), All About My Mother, Encounters at the End of the World, Burden of Dreams, Heart of Glass, Krysař, Lessons in Darkness, Land of Silence and Darkness, Holy Motors, SPL, A Zed and Two Noughts, Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, Life Itself, 48 Hrs, Smiles of a Summer Night, Leviathan, The Double, The Return.

Another spectacular year (final numbers - 637 films watched, 138 rewatches). Picking this top ten always proves both more fun and more challenging than the typical end-of-year top 10, but almost every film here aside from the top two is a
so the order does seem a little arbitrary. In any case, I decided to go representative with the actual top 10 and so...

The Phantom Carriage carries Ingmar Bergman's seal of approval and so much of it does carry a "can't believe this was made in 1921" vibe, plus it really does tell a surprisingly effective Christmas Carol-ish story of a cruel man being forced to reckon with his flaws by the ghosts of his past. It's at the point where I don't even want to watch it again because I want to preserve that initial experience.

Nosferatu the Vampyre - yeah, I finally got around to watching the 1922 version and only gave it a respectable
(which is my "good, but I didn't love it" rating) before getting ready to watch this. The part where Lucy walks through the town square was what convinced me to push it up to a first-time
(plus, as the honourable mentions show I already watched a lot of Herzog this year so I figure this is as good a representation as any).

All That Jazz is the ideal blend of Old Hollywood magic and New Hollywood cynicism, so of course it is very much my jam.

Similarly, Weekend is the kind of movie I've always kind of hoped to get from watching Godard but haven't quite managed to get before and it's nice to see that it's as much of a brain-melt as its reputation suggested.

The Cremator...good Lord.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul came from me running through a bunch of Fassbinder a while back. He's a director who I tend to find rather hit-and-miss (and I could easily swap it out for World on a Wire), but this might well be his best hit.

Cries and Whispers is my representative for Bergman (who also shows up a lot in the honourable mentions). I don't need to tell you how good he and this film in particular are.

Dead Ringers - Cronenberg, you magnificent bastard.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is a masterful juggling of comedy, drama, high-concept sci-fi, and overall just a real emotional rollercoaster that I always hope to find at the movies.

As for Resident Evil: Retribution - yeah, I may be being a little deliberately contrarian with this pick (especially considering what kinds of respectable films did and didn't make either the top 10 or the honourable mentions), but again, this is a representative list, and I can't think of a better film to illustrate the ways in which I learned to ditch arbitrary snobbery and excessive negativity for the sake of just liking whatever I want.

Just going to finish this tonight because there's a change of plans and we're not doing anything until tomorrow. Plus i ate way too much and can't sleep haha.

25. Le Bonheur (Agnes Varda, 1965)

24. Caché (Michael Haneke, 2005)

23. Trouble Every Day (Claire Denis, 2001)

22. House of Tolerance (Bertrand Bonello, 2011)

21. Day of Wrath (Carl Theodore Dreyer, 1943)

20. Deep Red (Dario Argento, 1975)

19. Buffalo '66 (Vincent Gallo, 1998)

18. Vagabond (Agnes Varda, 1985)

17. Eyes Without a Face (Georges Franju, 1960)

16. City Girl (F.W. Murnua, 1930)

15. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)

14. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959)

13. Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924)

12. Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2011)

11. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (David Lynch, 1992)

10. A Moment of Innocence (Mohsen Makhmalbaf, 1996)

09. Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)

08. I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (Mervyn LeRoy, 1932)

07. Letter From An Unknown Woman (Max Ophuls, 1948)

06. The Bad and The Beautiful (Vincente Minelli, 1952)

05. High and Low (Akira Kurosawa, 1963)

04. Carlos (Olivier Assayas, 2010)

03. In a Lonely Place (Nicholas Ray, 1950)

02. Make Way For Tomorrow (Leo McCarey, 1937)

01. The Gospel According to St. Matthew (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1964)

Decades:

1920's: 3
1930's: 5
1940's: 6
1950's: 5
1960's: 5
1970's: 2
1980's: 3
1990's: 6
2000's: 5
2010's: 11

Directors With More Than One Film:

4 Films: Abbas Kiarostami
3 Films: Agnes Varda
2 Films: F.W. Murnau, John Ford, Vincente Minelli and Buster Keaton

Kiarostami clearly wins the year with four of his five films i watched making my top 50. I think they're all a similar quality Certified Copy just hit me right. I think i'm more likely to get something more out of his Iranian films in the future though. Varda was runner up with half of her six films making the list. Two new favourites definitely.

My favourite actor discoveries were James Cagney and Juliet Binoche. I had seen both of them in films before this year but it was recently that they became favourites with Binoche blowing me away in Cache and Certified Copy. And loving Cagney in the four films i saw him in with The Roaring Twenties being the highlight: a film that i forgot about for the list showing what a great year it was.

Jesus, you put a lot of effort into that Camo!
I've been keeping a private Letterboxd list since January haha - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/best-of-2017/

Ended up with 54 and just cut four of them. The Man From Nowhere was one but i can't even remember what the others were, The Roaring Twenties i forgot. Great year!

That's a lot to take in at once Camo. Just off the top of my head I love seeing In A Lonely Place so high. Still a film I somehow feel is under rated despite almost everyone loving it who ends up seeing it.

I was surprised your Varda movies were as far down as they were but, like you have been saying, that's a testament to how good of a viewing year you had. I wish Solaris was higher but I like seeing it upper half anyway.Love seeing some Kiarastomi on your list, great director.

Surprised that there are three films in your top ten I am middlin on. High And Low is like other Kurosawa's for me, I just don't love his characterizations. I watched Letters From An Unknown Women a while ago so I should give it another chance, but I found it pretty dry. Grand Illusion has both good and bad for me, which left it just ok in my ratings.

Great year and I have loved being able to share in your excitement for films and directors all year. You are a user that makes Mofo a place worth being for a film fan.

Going to try and put my list up tonight.

That's a lot to take in at once Camo. Just off the top of my head I love seeing In A Lonely Place so high. Still a film I somehow feel is under rated despite almost everyone loving it who ends up seeing it.
It has really stuck with me, random scenes and pieces of dialogue pop into my head from time to time. I think i like it more than i initially did in hindsight even though i gave it
+ right away. Incredible films.

I was surprised your Varda movies were as far down as they were but, like you have been saying, that's a testament to how good of a viewing year you had. I wish Solaris was higher but I like seeing it upper half anyway.Love seeing some Kiarastomi on your list, great director.
Varda and Kiarostami are my two directors of the year. The three Varda's i included are definitely new favourites, i watched them over three or four days and it seemed they were getting better every time. Can't wait to see more from her. I watched almost 350 films this year and two of hers were in my top 25 so they were pretty damn high haha, also it was impossible to rank.

Surprised that there are three films in your top ten I am middlin on. High And Low is like other Kurosawa's for me, I just don't love his characterizations. I watched Letters From An Unknown Women a while ago so I should give it another chance, but I found it pretty dry. Grand Illusion has both good and bad for me, which left it just ok in my ratings.
Yeah i think Kurosawa is the director we disagree on most. Of the directors i've seen enough from to get an idea what they are about he's probably top five with: Hitchcock, Scorsese, Lynch and PTA. Actually Lynch may be, but it's alot more surprising that you aren't into Kurosawa who is very Hollywood inspired and mostly conventional; at least his stories from what i've seen. High and Low is probably the one i'd guess you'd like the most from the ones i've seen so that's too bad, hopefully you connect with him in the future.

Definitely surprised about Letter From An Unknown Woman. That film broke me and i thought you were a big fan for some reason, hopefully it works for you if you see it again. Cob and Cricket are also big fans i believe.

Read your views on Grand Illusion and totally get it, it worked for me alot anyway.

Great year and I have loved being able to share in your excitement for films and directors all year. You are a user that makes Mofo a place worth being for a film fan.
Exact same sentiments mate. Always enjoy discussing stuff with you and taking part in things with you. Both of us have a thing for exploring directors: not that that's unique just that i've tackled it most with you here probably.

Going to try and put my list up tonight.
Looking forward to it!

Also watch The Gospel According To St. Matthew when you get the chance for your spirituality thread. It's by far my favourite first time watch this year. I'm an atheist and it's made by an Atheist Marxist so you'd probably think it looks down on Christianity or is skeptical of it or whatever. It's not, it just portrays Jesus as an angry crusader for the downtrodden and parts of Matthew definitely depicts him that way. Obviously it's selective to portray things in line with the directors views but honestly it's just an absurdly moving and beautiful film IMO.

Of the films i listed one i'd like people to check out is A Bittersweet Life as i think it's underseen, especially if you're a fan of any Korean Action Films like: I Saw The Devil, Oldboy or The Man From Nowhere from ones i've seen. Ed is a big fan but i haven't seen anyone else mention it.

It's my favourite of the Korean Action Films i've seen. One of the things that works for me so much in it is that the main character is clearly fallible, alot more than the protagonist's in the other films i mentioned. He's an amazing fighter like the others but it truly feels like he can die or be caught or seriously injured at any time, even though logic tells you he won't be until the end at least. The action isn't as good as those other ones but it's great anyway and something that pushes it over the edge for me is how devastating it is, much more than those others for me won't go into why because it's a spoiler.

Another great year of movie watching. I feel very inferior when Camo and Iro are putting up over 300 viewings each, but I shoot for 250 a year so coming in at 234 is fine with me. I don't do too many rewatches so I am sure I was at least at 200 fresh watches. I don't include 2017 releases because I will do a top 10 2017 closer to Oscar time.

10) Ratcatcher

Love the aesthetic and story structure. I believe I called it the best film on poverty I have seen. I think that is true. A lock for my list on the upcoming Mofo countdown.

9) The Ascent

Just watched this last week and it is absolutely stunning. Very Tarkovsky in look and tone.

8) Love Streams

Cassavetes became one of my faves this year. Rowlands is great in everything she did with him. Really unique director. I think this may be my favorite movie title ever.

7) Chunking Express

Unfortunately I am almost a year removed from my next two films. On the bright side it makes me want to watch them again and dig into more of Kar-Wai's work. Love his camera work and his use of music.

6) In The Mood For Love

Films don't get any more lovely than this. I said at the time that Weiner must have watched this a million times while crafting Mad Men. Smoking has never been cooler.

5) The Exorcist

Expertly crafted. Extremely unsettling. Thematically compelling. My favorite horror film by a mile.

4) Cat On A Hot Tin Roof

Is it any secret I love great dialogue? I could listen to these characters talk for hours. Elizabeth Taylor is one of those actresses I thought was a punch line when I was a teen. How misguided I was.

3) Children Of Paradise

The type of film that makes you realize why you shouldn't throw around the word masterpiece. There are only a few, and this is one hands down. Includes one of my favorite male performances ever.

2) Mystery Train

Jarmuch's best. Another director that has an amazing eye and uses music to the fullest. I love the way he films cities. Very funny film with a great structure.

1) My Life To Live

My surprise of the year. I threw this on and adored it after not caring for the other two Goddard's I have seen. One of my favorite female performances ever. Stunning cinematography. So many great scenes. Probably watch it again soon because I really want to do a review of this in my movies are prayers thread.

Great stuff this year. Every year I think it can't get better for me as a film fan, and it just keeps getting better. See you next year Mofos!