Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Mother! (Darren Aronofsky, 2017)

Finally something new!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know yet what to think about this, but I am almost certain this is the movie of the year!
Loved the acting from JLaw and Bardem but the premise is just brilliant!!! The alegory starts revealing itself bit by bit still it becomes painfully obvious at the end! Aronofsky proves why he's one of the best directors of today!

-

I Vitelloni (1953) by Federico Fellini
+

La Strada (1954) by Federico Fellini

La Terra trema: Episodio del mare (1948) by Luchino Visconti
+

The Flowers of St. Francis (1950) by Roberto Rossellini

My social worker and neo-marxist heart adored these Italian neorealist films.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I, Tonya. A bit of a weird style for a biopic and I can only think they didnt know exactly what to do with it. I was travelling when this was all happening so I dont recall a lot of the news about it, and it seemed to be overshadowed by some insane mother of a cheerleader who threw acid on the face of her daughter's rival. Yeah great stuff with sport. Margot was exceptional as Tonya, and so was Allison Janney who played her utter sewer rat of a mother. What a tragic fall from grace. Great music for those who remember the era, and excellent editing from real Margot face to cgi Margot face. I couldnt pick it.

Good movie but as I said, a bit weird in style, like it just doesnt know what it wants to be. That's the best way I can explain it.

The Greatest Showman

It was pretty eh. The story was super generic and cliched. It honestly should have just focused on building the circus and the conflict with the critic character. All the relationships seemed super underdeveloped because the pacing was a really rushed, but still managed to feel slow and boring. I feel it just needed to be more focused.
The musical numbers ranged from eh to good, but I feel like it sounded overproduced. The whole line about it being "a celebration of humanity" did not run with the rest of the narrative. The "message" felt forced and insincere. 2/5

I, Tony. A bit of a weird style for a biopic and I can only think they didnt know exactly what to do with it. I was travelling when this was all happening so I dont recall a lot of the news about it, and it seemed to be overshadowed by some insane mother of a cheerleader who threw acid on the face of her daughter's rival. Yeah great stuff with sport. Margot was exceptional as Tonya, and so was Allison Janney who played her utter sewer rat of a mother. What a tragic fall from grace. Great music for those who remember the era, and excellent editing from real Margot face to cgi Margot face. I couldnt pick it.

Good movie but as I said, a bit weird in style, like it just doesnt know what it wants to be. That's the best way I can explain it.
I, Tonya (2017) hadn't heard of that one, but I remember the whole strange Olympic event. I'll have to see that one.

hadn't heard of that one, but I remember the whole strange Olympic event. I'll have to see that one.
Very strange event indeed. Let me know what you think. Not sure if I'd race to a rewtch but it will stay with me for a bit.

Very strange event indeed. Let me know what you think. Not sure if I'd race to a rewtch but it will stay with me for a bit.
It will be awhile until Netflix/DVD.com releases the DVD. I swear I had to wait forever to see Dunkirk. But yeah I will post about it here in this thread. Thanks for mentioning the movie, I find lots of neat films in this thread.

It will be awhile until Netflix/DVD.com releases the DVD. I swear I had to wait forever to see Dunkirk. But yeah I will post about it here in this thread. Thanks for mentioning the movie, I find lots of neat films in this thread.
It's an american movie. Getting quite a bit of promotion here at the moment. Ignore anything you see calling it a comedy - I didnt find it remotely resembling comedy genre. That happened with Whiskey Tango Foxtrot as well. Definitely not a comedy.

I saw this on Thursday (the day it was released) and I was sorely disappointed. It was trying to do too much and was all over the place with the social commentary. It was if the movie was trying to fit in every single liberal criticism of the world in a single movie. Also, the entire point of the protagonist seemed to be to suffer at the hands of women. If he could be incredibly long-suffering at the hands of women, then he was a "good man" and, thus, was finally worthy of acceptance and/or love (even though it meant giving up everything including his future, his dreams and even his life). The movie also wasted some amazingly incredible talent in small parts and off-beat roles.

The only good thing that I can say about the movie is that there was an unusually clear distinction between the acts: Act I - the normal world, Act II - Leisureland and Act III -
Norway.

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I expected one of the angry people that Damon runs into at the bar before he's shrunk to go on an angry stomping spree and they didn't have to show it that might have been too much like a Gidzilla or Attack of the 50ft woman film, just have the aftermath on the news.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
(2017, Jake Kasdan)
3/5

As many know here I'm not a fan of comedies. The only reason I watched this was for Dwayne Johnson. I find him entertaining. I don't find Kevin Hart funny at all. Karen Gillan was fairly decent as was Jack Black.

I guess Dwayne and Kevin are good friends because they were in "Central Intelligence" together and that movie, no it was not funny. I hated how they made Dwayne seem "slow" to put it nicely.

I found it funny how two famous actors, Colin Hanks and Tim Matheson, were in it as well but not mentioned anywhere in the credits.

It has a few laughs but it was ok to me... would I watch it again? only with a friend who liked that kind of comedy.

[center]Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
(2017, Jake Kasdan)
3/5
The first trailer I saw looked fun then I saw a second where it looked like a computer game and it turned me off. Not actually sure in retrospect if it was a trailer or a fan tribute.

The first trailer I saw looked fun then I saw a second where it looked like a computer game and it turned me off. Not actually sure in retrospect if it was a trailer or a fan tribute.
I'm hoping to go to the cinema every day this weekend if I can..

I wonder what Cinemark is playing for Classic Series this Sunday.

I'm hoping to go to the cinema every day this weekend if I can..

I wonder what Cinemark is playing for Classic Series this Sunday.
? I think you might have responded to the wrong person, MG.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

I, Tony. A bit of a weird style for a biopic and I can only think they didnt know exactly what to do with it. I was travelling when this was all happening so I dont recall a lot of the news about it, and it seemed to be overshadowed by some insane mother of a cheerleader who threw acid on the face of her daughter's rival. Yeah great stuff with sport. Margot was exceptional as Tonya, and so was Allison Janney who played her utter sewer rat of a mother. What a tragic fall from grace. Great music for those who remember the era, and excellent editing from real Margot face to cgi Margot face. I couldnt pick it.

I have seen people throwing a Goodfellas comparison around on this one. Partly due to the music, gritty style in bits and the *spoiler* 4th wall destruction.

I don't think this hasn't gotten any run in the U.S. yet. The release date was Dec 8th, but it hasn't poppled up at the indiecine or chain theaters.

p.e.

My investigation has revealed this is going to be here on Jan 12.

Welcome to the human race...
Kingsman: The Golden Circle -

how have I watched this more than once

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
When I was a little kid I had a print of one of those big eye paintings hanging on my wall. It was creepy
When I saw those picture I thought they were very sad. You're right, it could be creepy for a child.

Appointment With Death (Michael Winner, 1988)
+
Lesser Christie tale meets lesser presentation for dinner; Poirot opts for ham

The Stolen Jools aka The Slippery Pearls (William C. McGann, John G. Adolfi, Thomas Atkins, Harold S. Bucquet, Victor Heerman & Russell Mack, 1931)
+
Star-studded comedy short for charitable purposes

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Get Out (2017)

So, I'm watching the most acclaimed movies of 2017 and this came my way. I didn't know anything about it except that this is allegedly an Oscar Contender.

I can't point anything wrong about it, except that I was expecting a way more intense climax, but I can't say anything extraordinary about it either. It's a solid thriller with good perfomances that centers its motivations on racism, which in a way might seem cliche but it's presented in a very fresh way. But you can see where everything is going from the moment they get to the house and the one unexpected event that happens in the last scene ends up having a clichéed and weak ending.
It's a fun watch but I don't think it deserves to be among the Oscar nominees, unless all other movies are horrible.