Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Transformers: The Last Knight -

If you take a drink every time the aspect ratio changes between fullscreen and widescreen, you will be dead by the 90-minute mark.

(still the best in the franchise, though)

Detroit

Very good but I felt the brutality of it went on too long, it was just harrowing and I struggled to make it through.. also totally irrelevant to anything happening today, rather how far we have come, don't start a ****ing riot.

4/5

Pattinson was fantastic didn't think he had it in him
After seeing his performance in The Rover I knew the guy could seriously act. Very talented.

Mustang (2013)

Kinda like a Turkish version of The Virgin Suicides although not quite as good. Worth a watch though.

I enjoyed it but not as much as some. It was a bit overhyped in certain quarters.

Ukikusa monogatari [A Story Of Floating Weeds] (Yasujirô Ozu, 1934)

The loneliness of the long distance actor

Unregistered User

The Debt (1999)

Really bleak from the get go, which I enjoy, and the acting and setting is impressive, especially on such a low budget. I will say that although the story is frightening (based on true events), I didn't think the film was all that disturbing. Still, this is definitely thought-provoking and realistic. Good film.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The Debt (1999)

Really bleak from the get go, which I enjoy, and the acting and setting is impressive, especially on such a low budget. I will say that although the story is frightening (based on true events), I didn't think the film was all that disturbing. Still, this is definitely thought-provoking and realistic. Good film.

I have the same opinion about this movie.
I'm glad you enjoyed

Gang Smashers aka Gun Moll (Leo C. Popkin, 1938)
+
Undeniably dark gangster outing

This is by far the best Thor movie up to date, but it is not saying much because the first 2 Thor movies were REALLY terrible.

- I like the change of the style, more witty and funny, but again it is not consistent with the previous Marvel movies. Thor was like a dork in the other movies, but all of sudden he can trash talk now.
- Lazy writing is everywhere, typical Marvel poo poo.
- Also, can someone explain to me how the flaming monster got destroyed by Thor EASILY at the begging of the movie, then Hela is too powerful to Thor and Loki, yet Hela is OWNED by the flaming monster at the end of the movie? How is this making sense?

- Also, can someone explain to me how the flaming monster got destroyed by Thor EASILY at the begging of the movie, then Hela is too powerful to Thor and Loki, yet Hela is OWNED by the flaming monster at the end of the movie? How is this making sense?
Hela didn't get destroyed by flaming monster, she was merely loosing power because flaming monster was destroying Asgard from which Hela was absorbing her power somehow.

I'm a bit under the weather, so I was able to leave work early yesterday and take Robert Mulligan's The Nickle Ride (1974). Those unfamiliar with Mulligan's filmography (To Kill A Mockingbird (1962), The Other (1972)), he's a director who never made the same movie twice; so I was excited to see his contribution to the crime/neo-noir genre with The Nickle Ride. A film that I think is unfairly neglected, The Nickle Ride captures the economic downturn of the 1970s (similarly how Killing Them Softly (2012) captures the economic disaster of the "Great Recession") and is as bleak and moody as one of its crime movie contemporaries: The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973).

Starring Jason Miller as "Key Man" Cooper, whose role is never explicitly explained to the audience, but seems to be the combination of underworld fixer and high end fence, is in the middle of a deal of securing a large amount of warehouses to keep stolen goods in. The problem is that the cop on the mob's payroll who he needs protection from is skittish about the deal, testing the patience of the mob boss that Cooper works for.

Don't be misled, this isn't a gangster movie (per se), if anything it's a movie about a high stakes real estate deal that just happens to take place in the underworld. Miller's performance is a great slow burner, his character continuously worn down by the stresses that accompany this deal. Grossly overlooked is Linda Haynes' performance as Cooper's girlfriend, Sarah, who does the best her with the character written for her.

I recommend The Nickle Ride to anyone who's a fan of the crime/gangster/neo-noir genre. It may not be a movie that you'll watch multiple times, but it's one that you won't regret checking out. Unfortunately, The Nickle Ride isn't available for streaming anywhere that I know of, and isn't even available on Netflix by mail, but only on a double feature DVD that contains The Nickle Ride and the oddly named 99 and 44/100% Dead (1974).

RATING:

Legend in my own mind

Star Wars: The last Jedi

Light 'spoilers' below

WARNING: "Spoilers" spoilers below
Great film, too many 'jokes'

Pure Star wars joy with some weird attempts at a Guardians tribute act thrown in.

The last 45 mins was outstanding

Mardragora (1997)

Had been recommended this heartbreaking story about underage prostitution on the streets of Prague. Overall a great (if saddening) watch. What it reminded me of was Héctor Babencos "Pixote" (although continents apart, more in the tone of the storytelling). 4/5.

Eraserhead (1977)

SPOILERS

Same as my response to most David Lynch movies, simply oh my. One thing you can say about the majority of his movies is that you never saw this or that coming. It's a startling movie and that baby loooks more convincing than the monster in the recent Alien movies, I'm not going to rate it because I just don't know how to. I'm not the arty farty type but his movies just seem like a form of movie art to me, I enjoyed the craziness and at times not so much, still, I'm glad I've finally seen it.

Reign of fire (2002)

I've watched this twice before but it seemed like a completely different movie this time around. For some reason I was expecting a claustrophic movie with more Gerard Butler involved, my memory informed me that it was more to do with he and Bale's friendship but it really wasn't. I was disappointed when the Americans with 6 tanks turned up because I never got the sense that there were that many of them, in fact just two. Very cliche in places but still interesting enough to keep me intrigued and watching, I really felt they could have delved more into the post apocalyptic time of the movie to make that side of things more believable instead it was just Bale running around a construction yard getting kids to pray that the dragons don't find them.

Zoolander 2

I could beat this movie up and knock it around just like people pick apart Trump...but these targets are too easy..it's like making fun of a slow child for not knowing how to drive stick shift...it's almost wrong...(maybe not Trump).

Aside from armageddon and the end of the world due to greed and stupidity/spinelessness/spite/confusion and anger...Zoolander 2 has no smarts about it. Not even in its attempt to make fun of dumb.

There were probably 2 moments where I laughed my assnick off, but that's it. One was when Hansel imitates the crypt keeper at an insensitive time, and the other was a reaction from Sting regarding his sex life. The rest is just bad. Part one of Zoolander I thought was pretty OK for what it was. It had something to say, at least. The Blue Steel look is what eventually became our great nation: duck lipped selfies. Very prophetic stuff.

Part 2 says not much new about anything excpt how to blow $55 million and only profit an extra mil.

It could've been special but nah...Stiller only cares about his celeb friends, seems like.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Godfather Part 2

The original is a masterpiece. One of the greatest films I have ever seen. I'm sorry to say but I do not feel the same way about part 2. Regrettably, it's not a movie I enjoyed although I appreciate certain parts. I'd have to agree with just about everything Roger Ebert said in his initial review and his giving it 3 out of 4 stars.