Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

Love A Christmas Story. Like you i didn't see it until i was an adult, actually most people i know haven't seen it doesn't seem that big outside America. Don't know why as it's so much fun.

#128 - Under the Volcano (1984) ~ December 9

A highly cultured yet deadly cocktail of alcoholism, jealousy, trauma and decadence. Albert Finney gives one of the finest film performances I've ever witnessed and is directed by Huston through a rabbit hole with an ending that couldn't be grimmer.
This is a stunning experience that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Huston's very best work. MUST SEE!

#129 - The LEGO Batman Movie (2017) ~ December 10

A film that perfectly captures our modern mainstream times. It makes exceptional use of technology (the action scenes are admittedly pretty insane), but when it comes to expressing humanity, the film doesn't get further than over the top self-aware "humor" or cheap cliché sentimentality.
I had my mediocre brainless fun, though. If that's what you're after, this is the film.

Unregistered User
#128 - Under the Volcano (1984) ~ December 9

A highly cultured yet deadly cocktail of alcoholism, jealousy, trauma and decadence. Albert Finney gives one of the finest film performances I've ever witnessed and is directed by Huston through a rabbit hole with an ending that couldn't be grimmer.
This is a stunning experience that deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Huston's very best work. MUST SEE!

A great film and Finney is amazing in this.

#130 - Lady Snowblood (1973) ~ December 12

Wildly entertaining and sincerely melancholic at the same time. One of those great films that you can perceive as both a wild, campy cult film and a serious piece of cinema. I'm very glad I saw this.

I might watch the sequel as well in the (near) future. Has anyone seen it?

#131 - Jeremiah Johnson (1972) ~ December 12

What a gorgeous picture this is! Joyful, painful and deeply felt. It reminded me somewhat of Eastwood's The Outlaw Josey Wales, which is a bit more "macho", but pulls certain similar strings for me. This was a wonderful adventure.

#132 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) ~ December 13

A very entertaining, sporadically intense and flawed mid-tier Star Wars film. Some of the sets are absolutely amazing. I was mostly satisfied.

#133 - Philomena (2013) ~ December 14

A film about a journalist who accidentally falls onto a very important story that exposes some of the dark consequences of catholic extremism in the 20th century. Very decent film about a true story.

I used to love Jeremiah Johnson but really need to see it again. I think it might have even made the last third of my 70's list. Psyched for Star Wars tomorrow night.

REWATCH #15 - Black Swan (2010) ~ December 15

Still as good as I remember. This is surely Aronofsky's masterpiece. I doubt that he'll ever top this film.

#130 - Lady Snowblood (1973) ~ December 12

Wildly entertaining and sincerely melancholic at the same time. One of those great films that you can perceive as both a wild, campy cult film and a serious piece of cinema. I'm very glad I saw this.

I might watch the sequel as well in the (near) future. Has anyone seen it?
I'm sure plenty here will have, it doesn't reach the same level as the original .....
+ and
respectively for me.

#134 - A Matter of Life and Death (1946) ~ December 15

What a fascinating film. Sheer artistry!
Have you seen Black Narcissus? Think that's the most beautiful film i've seen. There's a shot right at the start including a bell over a cliff that was breathtaking and the rest of it follows suit.

Have you seen Black Narcissus? Think that's the most beautiful film i've seen. There's a shot right at the start including a bell over a cliff that was breathtaking and the rest of it follows suit.
Nope, but I have it available. I'll probably watch it sooner rather than later. Looking forward to that one!

I'm sure you'll love Black Narcissus, Cob. It's not something I like and it took a few tries to sit and watch it all the way through, but it does look sumptuous. If I only cared about how a film looked and how well shot it was, I think it'd probably be my all time favourite film.

I agree with Chyp about the Lady Snowblood sequel. My guess is that you'll like the things you liked about the first one, but to a slightly lesser extent.

#135 - The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976) ~ December 16

This is a glorious mess of a film. It's definitely the least cohesive film of the four Roeg films I've seen and it is, admittedly, kind of a weakness at times. But the cinematography, the vision, the performances, the ideas and the individual moments are so breathtaking that I'm almost inclined to completely forgive the film for being so chaotic. Ultimately it is an intriguingly unique as well as a bit of a frustrating film, but surely one that won't leave my mind any time soon.

REWATCH #16 - Knocked Up (2007) ~ December 20

This was on TV and I decided to keep (re)watching. It's one of those lovely funny decent Seth Rogen comedies. Fun to hang out with.

#136 - Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) ~ December 22

Smart and very well made musical, but it wasn't able to truly grab my heart somehow. I'm not quite sure which piece of the puzzle was missing. Perhaps the content is simply not entirely my cup of tea.