mr. sky fox reviews: dreamworks animated movies (1998-2017)

→ in
Tools    

finally finished reviewing all 35 movies made by dreamworks animation over the past 20 years. unlike the disney movies, the score didnt fluctuate all over the place, so nothing here imo was inherently bad (though one movie came close), and no movie here imo deserved a perfect score (though again, one came close). ill release them in sets of five, starting with 35-31:

35. Shark Tale - 4/10

34. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas - 4.5/10

33. Shrek the Third - 5/10

32. The Road to El Dorado - 5/10

31. The Boss Baby - 5/10

okay, now for 30-26, and ill probably have to go after this one. ill come back tomorrow to continue this!

30. Home - 5/10

29. Bee Movie - 5.5/10

28. Madagascar - 5.5/10

27. Shrek Forever After - 6/10

26. Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron - 6/10

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
finally finished reviewing all 35 movies made by dreamworks animation over the past 20 years. unlike the disney movies, the score didnt fluctuate all over the place, so nothing here imo was inherently bad (though one movie came close), and no movie here imo deserved a perfect score (though again, one came close). ill release them in sets of five, starting with 35-31:

35. Shark Tale - 4/10

31. The Boss Baby - 5/10

I agree that Shark Tale was a pretty bad movie, but I thought The Road to El Dorado was a fun movie.

I don't think I've seen the other three movies, but I'm not sure about Shrek the Third. (I thought I saw all of the Shrek movies, but if I saw it, I don't remember it.)

okay, now for 30-26, and ill probably have to go after this one. ill come back tomorrow to continue this!

30. Home - 5/10

29. Bee Movie - 5.5/10

28. Madagascar - 5.5/10

I loved Home. It would be close to the top of my list.

Madagascar was also a good movie that should be higher on the list.

I don't think I've seen the other three movies. (See my comment above about the Shrek movies, because it applies to Shrek Forever After too. Those movies seem to blend together in my mind for some reason.)

yeah, im sure everyone will agree that Shark Tale is the worst of the bunch from dreamworks. 25-21:

25. Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - 6.5/10

24. Penguins of Madagascar - 6.5/10

23. Turbo - 6.5/10

22. The Croods - 6.5/10

21. Monsters vs. Aliens - 6.5/10

sorry for being away a few moments. lost track of time, preparing some stuff for the future. more on that in another subforum at a more fitting time. next up, 20-16:

20. Trolls - 6.5/10

19. Rise of the Guardians - 6.5/10

18. Megamind - 7/10

17. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted - 7/10

16. Mr. Peabody and Sherman - 7/10

will continue this tomorrow. maybe even wrap it up?

yeah, im sure everyone will agree that Shark Tale is the worst of the bunch from dreamworks. 25-21:
I haven't seen enough from Dreamworks to say that Shark Tale is the worst, but it's probably one of the worst animated movies of the ones that I've seen.

23. Turbo - 6.5/10

22. The Croods - 6.5/10

I haven't seen Penguins of Madagascar yet, but I like all of the other Madagascar movies that I've seen.

I thought Turbo had potential, but it didn't live up to it because it was only okay.

I loved Monsters vs. Aliens, and it would definitely be higher on my list.

I haven't seen The Croods.

sorry for being away a few moments. lost track of time, preparing some stuff for the future. more on that in another subforum at a more fitting time. next up, 20-16:

20. Trolls - 6.5/10

18. Megamind - 7/10

I haven't seen Trolls yet, but I like all of the other movies in this set.

well, trust me on this much about Shark Tale: it had no business being nominated for an oscar for animated film. 15-11:

15. Over the Hedge - 7/10

14. The Prince of Egypt - 7/10

13. Flushed Away - 7.5/10

12. Kung Fu Panda 2 - 7.5/10

11. Puss in Boots - 7.5/10

and since im way late to coming back, ill throw 10-6 out now as well:

10. Kung Fu Panda 3 - 7.5/10

9. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie - 8/10

8. Kung Fu Panda - 8/10

7. Shrek 2 - 8/10

6. Antz - 8.5/10

when i come back in a few minutes, ill release my top 5 of all of dreamworks animation!

okay, back with the top 5:

5. How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10

4. Shrek - 8.5/10

3. How to Train Your Dragon - 8.5/10

2. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 9/10

1. Chicken Run - 9.5/10

and that's all, folks! all 35 movies down! next up: Star Trek movies, from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" to "Star Trek Beyond"!

35. Shark Tale - 4/10

31. The Boss Baby - 5/10
If it had not been for me babysitting my niece today, I would not have seen Boss Baby, but I have, along with everything else here!

Shark Tale is...yeah, it's not that great. Comparing it to another fish-related animated film (Finding Nemo), it's hot garbage!

Sinbad was a fun romp! Definitely not winning any awards, but it was enjoyable!

Shrek the Third actually made me quit watching Shrek movies for a while. I was that disappointed. Not that it was bad, it just took a sharp fall from the first two movies!

The Road to El Dorado is my second most favorite Dreamworks movie, and it hurts a little to see it so low on your list, but that's the thing about opinions!

And Boss Baby was cute, it was okay, and apparently it's among the more viable candidates for an Oscar in animation. I'm guessing not a strong year?

30. Home - 5/10

29. Bee Movie - 5.5/10

28. Madagascar - 5.5/10

Haven't seen Shrek Forever After. Blame Shrek the Third for that.

Home is alright. Good animation, catchy music for kids, but doesn't offer much that other movies do better. For an alien-and-kid-friendship movie, it's damn near impossible to beat ET, in all fairness, but even so, give me ET over Home any day!

Bee Movie...it's okay, but after 2-3 watches, I kind of got bored with it. I know that's a cardinal sin on the Internet, given their love for it for God knows what reason, but I'm not a big fan.

Madagascar is another okay movie. Definitely better than the Wild from Disney, but still overall okay. Enjoyed it more than the second movie, that's for sure!

As for Spirit...it's been forever since I've seen it, so I cannot judge it fairly.

23. Turbo - 6.5/10

22. The Croods - 6.5/10

Of these, I've only seen Madagascar 2 and the Croods.

Madagascar 2 made less sense than the first movie (somehow), and while it was okay, it was a step down from the first film.

The Croods was pretty good. Felt like the first good caveman-related thing since the Flintstones cartoon show! If a sequel is made, I just hope they don't pull an Ice Age and try to bring dinosaurs in for the sake of dinosaurs, unless they can make it work well!

Of the 3 I've not seen, the Penguins movie honestly sounds the most interesting of the bunch.

20. Trolls - 6.5/10

18. Megamind - 7/10

Of these, I've only seen Trolls and part of Megamind.

Trolls has a good story and great music. My personal downside? It looks so damn ugly! I understand that the bad guys had to look awful, but the trolls too? It's definitely a movie I can listen to more than once (not watch, though)!

From what I saw of Megamind, it seems like a Will Ferrell movie I can tolerate. Shocking for me, since I honestly can't stand the actor except rarely.

And I have little to no interest in seeing the rest, unless I'm convinced into joining someone for it.

well, trust me on this much about Shark Tale: it had no business being nominated for an oscar for animated film. 15-11:

I've seen them all, though with Puss in Boots, I haven't seen the last few minutes due to a damaged rental DVD.

Over the Hedge was a great movie, full of laughs and just the right amount of nonsensical humor! Also, Bruce Willis as the raccoon was some of the best casting that Dreamworks has probably done!

The Prince of Egypt is my favorite Dreamworks movie! It takes a story I grew up hearing and gives it power with splendid music and great tension between Moses and Ramsey! Sadly, no one makes movies based on Biblical stories that good anymore.

Flushed Away was surprisingly well-mannered and held off on the bathroom humor, despite the title. Like Over the Hedge, just one of the hidden gems that the Academy overlooked in favor of meh movies.

Kung Fu Panda 2 was a great sequel to a great movie, bringing in yet another prophecy for an unlikely hero to fulfill and prove his worth once more! Not to mention the humor is perfectly-timed and Gary Oldman voicing a villain is always a good choice!

Puss in Boots gave me hope in the Shrek series again, being a damn good spinoff movie! Really wish to finish it someday, but sadly I cannot find it.

8. Kung Fu Panda - 8/10

7. Shrek 2 - 8/10

6. Antz - 8.5/10

when i come back in a few minutes, ill release my top 5 of all of dreamworks animation!
Haven't seen Captain Underpants, though if it's anything like the books, I may give it a shot sometime.

Kung Fu Panda 3 was an okay ending to what could have been a brilliant trilogy, but it seems most animated trilogies falter with their third movie. Still worth a watch, though.

Kung Fu Panda is definitely the best of the Panda movies! Take an unlikely candidate for a hero, give him a prophecy and watch him fumble his way to victory! Great to watch and own if you have kids, want kids, have nieces and nephews, or are a kid at heart!

Shrek 2 is pretty much as good as the first movie! It shows that even "happily ever after" is not some quick fix to how someone views themselves! A great watch for someone who thinks they're not good enough for their S.O.!

And Antz...I'm probably an oddball here, but I'm not a fan. A Bug's Life was the better ant movie, and even that one I have my doubts on its quality.

okay, back with the top 5:

5. How to Train Your Dragon 2 - 8.5/10

4. Shrek 2 - 8.5/10

3. How to Train Your Dragon - 8.5/10

2. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit - 9/10

1. Chicken Run - 9.5/10

and that's all, folks! all 35 movies down! next up: Star Trek movies, from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" to "Star Trek Beyond"!
Seen all but Wallace and Gromit.

The HTTYD movies are magnificent! My personal #3 and #4 interchangeable for best Dreamworks movies!

Chicken Run was okay. Not crazy about it, but it does have its merits!

And I'm guessing this was meant to be the first Shrek? Or was that the other one? Oh well, I'll discuss the first one...

Shrek is a wonderful story of accepting who you are and pursuing your goals, even if they seem impossible, all while listening to some adult humor that undoubtedly flew over your kids' heads! Always a great choice!

Over the Hedge is one of my favorite animated movies. It would be higher on my list.

Flushed Away was only okay. I'm surprised to see it this high on your list.

Kung Fu Panda 2 was good, but not as good as the first movie.

I haven't seen the other two movies.

8. Kung Fu Panda - 8/10

7. Shrek 2 - 8/10

6. Antz - 8.5/10

Kung Fu Panda was a fun movie. I haven't seen Kung Fu Panda 3 yet, but I have the DVD, so hopefully I'll get to it soon.

I don't remember much about Shrek 2, but I remember thinking it was a pretty good movie. It's been a while since I've seen it, so it's due for a rewatch.

I haven't seen the other movies.