My Favorite Celebrity Singing Voices

Tools    

Gene Kelly

Yeah, I know Gene Kelly is known as a dancer, director, and choreographer but I have always loved his singing voice, which Kelly himself referred to as "Irish Whiskey Tenor." I have enclosed a clip from Singin in the Rain with Kelly singing "You Were Meant for Me."

Jose Carerras

He was one third and probably the least famous member of the "Three Tenors" tour. His thick accent sometimes distract from the beauty of his instrument, but not enough to disguise the incredible pipes the man has. The clip I have included is from Leonard Bernstein's re-recording of the score of West Side Story sung completely by opera stars. This is Carerras singing "Maria" being conducted by the maestro himself.

Chaka Kahn

A winner of ten Grammy awards, this powerhouse vocalist was a dominating music force in the 70's and 80's. I have included the video of my favorite Chaka tune, "I Feel for You."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Gene Kelly

Yeah, I know Gene Kelly is known as a dancer, director, and choreographer but I have always loved his singing voice, which Kelly himself referred to as "Irish Whiskey Tenor." I have enclosed a clip from Singin in the Rain with Kelly singing "You Were Meant for Me."

I love Gene Kelly's voice. He would have been much higher on my list.

Karen Carpenter

Before you scoff or giggle think about it...most people considered Karen and her brother Richard bubble gum, put that all aside and just think about the vocal instrument of the late Karen Carpenter...this singer had one of the richest, fullest voices, producing beautifully rounded vowel sounds and absolutely impeccable diction. Think about it...is there a Carpenters song that you don't know ALL the words to? That's no accident. I have included a clip of her singing "Merry Christmas Darling", another song where brother Richard wrote the music. RIP, Karen.

Toni Tenille

They came out of nowhere but with the sweetest clearest voice since Karen Carpenter, Toni Tenille and husband Daryl Dragon rocked the music world with the # 1 hit record of 1975. Enclosed is the official video for the monster hit classic "Love Will Keep us Together."

Johnny Mathis

After almost half a century in the business, it is probably the only singing voice out there completely recognizable by his vibrato...no other singer on the planet has a vibrato like his and therefore he is another one of those singers that nobody sounds like, but many people love to imitate. He and Deneice Williams sang the theme song for the NBC sitcom Family Ties and he and Jane Olivor sang the theme to the 1978 comedy Same Time Next Year, but he is best known for his way with Christmas songs and the song I have included here, "Chances Are."

Mickey Rooney

Even though he was primarily known as a movie clown, Rooney and Judy Garland made a series of "backstage" musicals together where Rooney proved to be quite the crooner. I have included he and Garland performing "Good Morning" from their most famous film together, Babes in Arms.

Carl Anderson

Just like his co-star Ted Neeley, the late Carl Anderson made a place in music history with one role...when he played Judas Iscariot in the 1973 film version of Jesus Christ Superstar...this powerhouse vocalist was taken from us much too soon...I have, of course, included "Heaven On Their Minds" from Superstar.

Nat King Cole

Flawless diction and a voice like butter, my first exposure to Cole was when he and Stubby Kaye played the balladeers in the 1965 comedy Cat Ballou, but soon I learned this was a musical artist to be reckoned with, and like Johnny Mathis, this guy really had a way with Christmas music, evidenced in the clip I have included...his dreamy rendition of The Christmas Song."

Robert Goulet

He got his big break playing Sir Lancelot in the original Broadway cast of Camelot and was a fixture on variety television, movies, and nightclubs for another four decades before passing away. His rich baritone, once heard, can hardly be forgotten. I have included a clip from the original production of Camelot with Goulet singing what would become his signature song, "If Ever I Would Leave You."

Toni Braxton

Whether she's working a romantic love song or belting out a Broadway tune in Beauty and the Beast, Braxton always delivers. I have included the video for my favorite Baxton tune, "Unbreak My Heart."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Johnny Mathis

After almost half a century in the business, it is probably the only singing voice out there completely recognizable by his vibrato...no other singer on the planet has a vibrato like his and therefore he is another one of those singers that nobody sounds like, but many people love to imitate. He and Deneice Williams sang the theme song for the NBC sitcom Family Ties and he and Jane Olivor sang the theme to the 1978 comedy Same Time Next Year, but he is best known for his way with Christmas songs and the song I have included here, "Chances Are."

Johnny Mathis has an amazing voice. My favorite Johnny Mathis song is "Wonderful Wonderful".

This might just do nobody any good.
Great moment from Badlands (music at 1:40):

He also gave way to a great line from Malcolm Tucker in In the Loop - “in the words of the late, great Nat King Cole; you, my friend, are ‘unforeseeable’”.

Melissa Manchester

Few singers during the 70's and 80's had a handle on a love ballad the way Manchester did. The singer also had the power to be a Broadway belter if she had wanted to. There was actually talk of her doing a Broadway revival of Funny Girl at one time. I have included a clip of one of her biggest hist "Don't Cry Out Loud".

John Cullum

TV fans might recognize him from recurring roles on Northern Exposure and Law and Order, but long before that, he was mesmerizing Broadway audiences in shows like Shenandoah and On the Twentieth Century with his powerful baritone voice. I have included a clip of him singing the haunting "Molasses to Rum" from the film version of 1776.

Barbara Harris

Before becoming a film actress, Harris starred on Broadway in On a Clear Day You Can See Forever and won a Tony for The Apple Tree. One of the great Broadway belters that everyone has forgotten about. I have included a clip from the original production of The Apple Tree with Harris singing "Gorgeous."

Al Jarreau

The last true jazz crooner, Jarreau velvety stylings meshed jazz with R&B like no other artist. I have included the video for "Mornin."

Stevie Nicks

The lead singer for Fleetwood Mac since the mid 1970's, Stevie Nicks is another one of those musical legends who has a completely unique sound...no one on the planet sounds like Stevie Nicks. I have included a live performance of "Rhiannon."

Bruno Mars

This insanely talented young man not only is a terrific singer and dancer, but, as he demonstrated on an episode of SNL, can actually do impressions of other singers that are on the money. I have included the video for his latest smash "Uptown Funk".