Virgin Hall of Fame

Tools    

This is my next choice. Bottle Rocket tonight
I haven't seen that short video Bottle Rocket that you posted. I guess it was Wes Anderson's practice for the movie

Have fun watching Bottle Rocket!

Deep Cover
(1992)

Deep Cover reminded me of my viewing experiencing with Leon the Professional. Both movies are action-violent-crime stories, and I don't usually watch those. There just not what I like. And yet I ended up liking both movies because of the characters.

In Deep Cover, I liked
Laurence Fishburne's character and Jeff Goldblum's whacked out lawyer too. And the head drug dealer guy who got kicked out of the car was pretty good too.

I thought the movie was well made. Usually I have all these ideas on how the movie could have been different, but I think the director nailed it and delivered just what he intended. So I wouldn't change a thing.

For me, I liked the film because it wasn't all super serious, like Leon the Professional in was done in the pulp thriller style of story telling, which I like as it's not to serious. I think my favorite part was Jeff Goldblum looking into the camera and saying, I want to have my cake and eat it too, I want to have my cake and eat it too. Ha! Loved that line.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

Deep Cover
(1992)

Deep Cover reminded me of my viewing experiencing with Leon the Professional. Both movies are action-violent-crime stories, and I don't usually watch those. There just not what I like. And yet I ended up liking both movies because of the characters.

In Deep Cover, I liked
Laurence Fishburne's character and Jeff Goldblum's whacked out lawyer too. And the head drug dealer guy who got kicked out of the car was pretty good too.

I thought the movie was well made. Usually I have all these ideas on how the movie could have been different, but I think the director nailed it and delivered just what he intended. So I wouldn't change a thing.

For me, I liked the film because it wasn't all super serious, like Leon the Professional in was done in the pulp thriller style of story telling, which I like as it's not to serious. I think my favorite part was Jeff Goldblum looking into the camera and saying, I want to have my cake and eat it too, I want to have my cake and eat it too. Ha! Loved that line.

What I like in Your reviews CR, is that You see interesting details in movies. Like Jeff Goldblum who speak to camera. I have to admit that was funny.
Deep Cover is totally diferent from Leon, IMO Leon is a fairytale to me, but dressed up in action movie (few years ago my fav movie was Tom Tykwer's The Princess and the Warrior (2000) in which I notice similar items) and I Deep cover is rather action movie and comedy.

You've got red on you!
Hey, guys! I added the remaining films I need to watch to my Amazon Prime watch list save for The Return, for which I need to look further. Optimistically I plan on watching two of the films this weekend, but if not, one of them for sure .

Hey, guys! I added the remaining films I need to watch to my Amazon Prime watch list save for The Return, for which I need to look further. Optimistically I plan on watching two of the films this weekend, but if not, one of them for sure .
You can watch The Return on YouTube

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Sophie's Choice (1982)

The title of the film speaks to the two choices Sophie must make, the first being the one we all know about with her children and other between two lovers.

Meryl Streep is good, but for me not great. I think she does better work later in her career, her love of accents is on full display and the character arc is powerful but I don't know if she was really right for the part. The central conflict with the relationship is MacNicol is supposed to be this wide eyed young southern writer who is sucked into this toxic relationship between Streep and Kevin Kline. The characters should be a generation apart yet really they are all the same age which is problematic. While all three are very good in the roles they feel like contemporaries and Streep doesn't feel like someone who was old enough to have two young children during the Holocaust.

The Holocaust scenes are good not great, the film is missing a degree of scale that I believe is important. So much of this film feels segmented, you can tell it was an adaptation from a novel as it has so many clearly defined chapter breaks. This was another issue I had with the film in that it lacks a sort of organic flow. What works in a page turning doesn't necessarily translate in a 2 1/2 movie.

Had I seen the film in the theater the climax to the film might have had an impact on me but years later it feels somewhat toothless.

That's not to say I hated the movie, the characters were well-defined. Kevin Kline was a stand out to me oozing with energy and driving the plot along. His story is an interesting one and you can relate to the co-dependency of these characters. You understand why this group of characters has come together even if the casting was somewhat inappropriate.

@Siddon thanks for posting about Sophie's Choice. I linked your review to a list of reviews on the 1st post of this thread. Which makes it easier to find other members reviews, so one can contrast and compare.

I think we had 180degree different viewpoint on the movie characters Which is OK, as we all see things differently. I enjoyed reading your review and will post mine now.

Sophie's Choice (1982)

My Thoughts: A very young Meryl Streep won both an Oscar and a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Leading Role for her performance in Sophie's Choice. She deserved it!

Her performance in this movie is nothing short of miraculous. She transforms herself through vocal accent, facial and body language into Sophie, a Polish concentration camp survivor with a dark secret. This is one of the great acting performances and Meryl Streep is the reason to watch this movie. The only reason actually.

Kevin Kline
...this was his first theatrical release movie. He's good and engaging, but too much so!

Every single time he's off on one of his angry rants, he bulldozes the other quieter performers, which doesn't work for the flow of the film. This is about Sophie, much more than Kline's character. Kline needed to be instructed by the director not to steal the scenes, but he does over and over again, overshadowing the other two characters.

Peter MacNicol...character, 'Stingo', is the focal point of the story, he does the voice over narration too. He's the weak part of the movie and has got to be the worst casting mistake I've ever seen.

He has zero screen presences and is not even worthy of being a bit character in the movie. He's a really odd choice and had the casting director choose a more suitable actor, Sophie's Choice might have been a better film.

However, nothing can save the story which takes two and half hours to unfold...with little happening on the screen. The film drags and that's too bad because the story concept is a powerful one...and
Meryl's performance certainly deserved a top notch film to be showcased in.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Sophie's Choice many years ago, so I don't remember the whole movie, but the scene where she makes her choice about her children is one that stays with you forever. That scene was so brutal to watch that I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to watch it more than once.

I saw Sophie's Choice many years ago, so I don't remember the whole movie, but the scene where she makes her choice about her children is one that stays with you forever. That scene was so brutal to watch that I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to watch it more than once.
My thoughts exactly! It's a watch it once film. Glad I watched it though.

@Citizen Rules Your review is very intriguing. I'm lokking forward to see Sophies Choice. I'm curious of her Polish accent in the movie. I've started to read the book, but I've read only 20% already. I didn't decided yet, if I like Stingo from the book, but after reading Your rev I supose in the movie he can be barely edible.

I recently watched Bottle Rocket. I was surprised by Owen Wilson. I haven't seen him in many roles that require good acting, but in this movie he portrays his character very well. He makes the shortcomings of his character very believable.

The story is entertaining, James Caan's role which isn't a lot more than a cameo is fun and the movie as a whole makes for an entertaining hour and half.

Worth another watch!

9/10.

Next up is either my own nomination (Sophie’s Choice) or My Favorite Year as I really like the sound of its cast.

movies can be okay...
My Favorite Year (1982)

Peter O'Toole plays a legendary movie star, who's also a full time drunkard, and when he is invited to appear in a top rated, live TV, variety show, he faces the ultimate challenge of showing up without messing up.

I have to say, "My Favorite Year" is not what I typically go for in a movie, I mean it's an 80's comedy, set in the 50's, that more so feels like a 70's sitcom, bombarded with slapstick humour and cartoonish fights, now with that being said, I still ended up loving every second of it. The main reason why, is due to the colourful characters, that each have unique characteristics, that differentiate them from the rest, and this results to every scene having a fresh taste. These characters are played by a wonderful set of comedic cast, and although their acting is everything you would expect in a sitcom, they compliment the atmosphere that the film is going for, especially O'Toole, I would even go to say that he is solely responsible for the film to work as great as it did, don't get me wrong though, the supporting cast is indeed awesome, but it's still hard to visualise the movie without O'Toole's presence.

The dialogue is another part the film excels at, it's quotable from start to finish, and full of wit and snappy humour, which again, I'm not usually fond of, but here, it surprisingly worked for me. When talking about highlights, its hard not to mention the entire movie, and that's because of the dialogue being so stacked, and also because of its delivery, but if I have to name one favourite scene of mine, it has to be the one where K.C (played by Jessica Harper) is trying to tell a joke, it really has been a long time since I laughed that hard.

On the other side of the coin, there's nothing special about the cinematography, which isn't that big of a deal for this kind of film, and there's also a few horrible and noticeable green screens, which again, isn't that big of a deal for this kind of movie, you could even say that it contributes to sucking the viewer into the 50's if you really want to make an excuse for it, other than that, there isn't much wrong about the film overall.

"My Favorite Year" is possibly my favourite nomination thus far, it successfully balances the drama with the comedy, it has some wonderful characters, played by a fantastic cast, that is responsible for making some hilarious scenes alive.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

@Citizen Rules Your review is very intriguing. I'm lokking forward to see Sophies Choice. I'm curious of her Polish accent in the movie. I've started to read the book, but I've read only 20% already. I didn't decided yet, if I like Stingo from the book, but after reading Your rev I supose in the movie he can be barely edible.
Ms. M what happened to your avatar? I loved the first one you had and the last one was good too. Is that a special Christmas avatar?

...Bottle Rocket. I was surprised by Owen Wilson. I haven't seen him in many roles that require good acting, but in this movie he portrays his character very well. He makes the shortcomings of his character very believable.

9/10.
I like what you said about Owen making his character's short comings believable. Good point, good movie too.

My Favorite Year (1982)
...."My Favorite Year" is possibly my favourite nomination thus far, it successfully balances the drama with the comedy, it has some wonderful characters, played by a fantastic cast, that is responsible for making some hilarious scenes alive.
Sounds promising! I've never seen it before, or at least I can't remember watching it. This will be my next movie to watch.

movies can be okay...
Sounds promising! I've never seen it before, or at least I can't remember watching it. This will be my next movie to watch.
I was taken aback by how much I liked it, it's easily the film farthest away from my taste, but it somehow still managed to lure me into its web, and to that, I take my hat off.

Ms. M what happened to your avatar? I loved the first one you had and the last one was good too. Is that a special Christmas avatar?
It's my new Christmas avatar made by The Todent I need something... proper