Cobpyth's Movie Log ~ 2017

→ in
Tools    

that played at my theater and in 4k I believe. Can't believe I missed it!

So pleased you've watched it. I thought you'd seen it before though? I know I've talked to you about Russell before.

So pleased you've watched it. I thought you'd seen it before though? I know I've talked to you about Russell before.
Probably about Tommy or Women in Love (I think the former). I think those are the only two I've seen of his so far. Which other Russell films would you recommend as well? I'm dying to see more!

Unregistered User
Probably about Tommy or Women in Love (I think the former). I think those are the only two I've seen of his so far. Which other Russell films would you recommend as well? I'm dying to see more!

HK knows more than me but I'd suggest Altered States.

Never heard of ''The Devils'', the plot really interests me, thanks for the suggestion!

#116 - The Stunt Man (1980) ~ November 28

I always seem to watch new favorite films in groups. After The Devils a few days ago, I just found myself another new favorite!
This is a film that has to be seen to be believed. It's cinema at its most spectacular and meta! Don't make the mistake to take this film at face value, though, or to take it too seriously at all. You'll miss the sheer fun of the whole experience if you do. Look at it like a delicious big-budget dark pseudo-version of Alice in Wonderland and hopefully you'll get as much pleasure out of this journey as I did. This is a very special picture.

P.S. Peter O'Toole is one of the top 3 coolest guys who ever lived.

#117 - Get Out (2017) ~ December 1

During the first half of the picture I was totally unimpressed and even shrinked a few times because its attempts at "satire" were ridiculously obvious and not even remotely subtle. The film does get more interesting as it goes on, though, and ultimately even develops into a very capable horror film with some clever, nicely executed and cool ideas.
Ultimately I was left with mixed feelings. I wanted more of the second half (or even last third) and less of the rest. I'm glad I saw it, though.

REWATCH #12 - Dallas Buyers Club (2013) ~ December 1

This was on TV, so I decided to keep watching it. It was even better than I remembered, to be honest. Truly a massive performance by McConaughey. What an actor!

--------------------------------------

P.S. I've rewatched more films than I've posted in here, but I forgot to include some of them. It's not that big a deal as this thread is more about my new cinematic experiences anyway, but I just thought I'd mention it.

#118 - American Pop (1981) ~ December 1

Man, this is truly a great film! I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Bakshi film of the four I've seen now (Fritz, The Cat, Heavy Traffic and Coonskin are the other three). It's filled with great music and tells the story of the first 80 years of America's 20th century through four generations of boys/men and their adventures. The result is an authentic American musical epic that's believably told in one and a half hour of animation. Recommended!

One of the best films obviously Watched a new Hitch the other day: Secret Agent, was my 22nd, not a fan. His weakest i've seen so far, hope some of his other 30's work is better as i've not seen most of them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#114 - The Big Chill (1983) ~ November 25

Amusing dramedy with a great soundtrack! A lovely film to hang out with for a while.

The Big Chill is one of my favorite movies with a terrific all-star cast.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
REWATCH #13 - Vertigo (1958) ~ December 2

Was on TV and kept watching. Still one of the most impressive cinematic creations.

Vertigo is not my favorite Hitchcock movie, but it's definitely up near the top of the list.

REWATCH #14 - Men of Honor (2000) ~ December 2

Was on TV and I kept watching. The real life story this is based on is almost too inspiring to be effective as a movie. It's astonishing. I always liked this film, though, and I still do.

#119 - Love & Mercy (2014) ~ December 2

I somehow never studied the details of Brian Wilson's life after he broke down psychologically in the late 60s. What a tragic period he went through. Paul Giamatti's character, Dr. Eugene Landy, is one of the creepiest I've seen in a very long time.
This film offers a very interesting look into the mind and life of one of music's greatest geniuses.

Now it's time to listen to The Beach Boys while gently falling asleep. Good night!

Sorry I didn't get back to you on this. I'm not sure I'd recommend any Russell film other than The Devils. However, I'd recommend any Russell film as, for me, he's the draw. For a cinephille (which you certainly are a lot more than I am) I think there's always something interesting in a Russell film. Something to love or admire. Or both.

I really like The Lair Of The White Worm. If you see it, don't go in with any expectations. If you do any research about it, just know that Russell thought of it as a comedy.

I think Altered States is a strong choice. I think it would've been great to see Russell as a Hollywood director in the 80's, but he's too single-minded and too outside the box for any kind of establishment.

I really liked Gothic but I've not watched it since the 90's. Crimes Of Passion and Whore might make an interesting double bill. Russell made Whore as a response to the Hollywood whore film, Pretty Woman.