Most disturbing movie of all time!!!

Tools    

I've seen a lot like a lot a lot. Which one really does it for you though. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the movies people find the most disturbing don't actually involve a splatter of blood, the mental disturbings are always the more severe I feel.

Firstly I'm deeply disturbed by how many fast and furious movies have been made and bad Dwayne Johnson movies in general really, believe me I loved the Rock "If ya smellllllllll what Dwayne is ruining".

Seriously If I had to go with one it'd have to be either Halloween (the f****** just doesn't die), Requim for a dream (if you take or have taken hard drugs you'll understand) A Serbian film (Just dispicable)

I'll go with "Requim for a dream" because "A Serbian film" doesn't deserve to win anything.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I'll go with "Requim for a dream" because "A Serbian film" doesn't deserve to win anything.
LOL that's a good way to put it but I havent seen RfaD so cant comment. To meit's ASF for the way it left me shattered for days, especially after reading the director's explanation for it. Very sad and traumatic movie.

irreversible is one I'd like to vote for but I walked ou tquite early so cannot vote.

And special mention for Martyrs. Very close to ASF if push came to shove forfavourite trauma in film.

I'd probably vote Irreversible. I havent seen A Serbian Film yet because Im basically afraid... But of those Ive seen Irreversible probably took the longest to recover from. Salo, while disgusting and atrocious, was more intriguing to me then massively disturbing. Its so far over the top that you have to wonder what its REALLY trying to say. Plus they dont victimize the victims which helps.

As soon as I heard that was an infant rape scene in A Serbian Film, I lost all interest in ever seeing. I'm sorry, but that's just not art... it's simply f*cking sick and indicative that the director should probably be committed and investigated. Who TF thinks up sh*t like that????

A distrubing movie that I actually ENJOYED is Would You Rather. Have seen it a few times. Not for the faint of heart, but a fun movie imo.

But I'll never bring myself to watch something as disgusting as A Serbian Film.

For me......Natural Born Killers.

Jon

Requiem For a Dream is probably No.1 for me, the last 30 minutes are just *shudders*.

Irreversible is a real endurance test. Rape is a pretty disturbing subject and when you have an 8 minute, one-shot rape scene with the camera completely motionless, it's very hard not to skin ahead. The fire extinguisher still makes me cringe a little bit. If you're not too squeamish, I'd highly recommend. It's pretty great.

Funny Games is disturbing in a very different type of way. Seeing the villains basically being Gods, deciding whatever happens to the family, with the family having basically no chance of escape or survival, is a very disturbing cinema experience.

Cannibal Holocaust is kind of overrated when it comes to disturbing. The coati stabbing scene made me cringe REALLY badly, but apart from that it's not that bad.

Honorable mentions: Seven, Black Swan, Man Bites Dog, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Dear Zachary.

Basically if you couldn't tell any fcked up movie that fcks with me is gonna become a favourite of mine.

I'll probably not watch A Serbian Film for a while, the reviews are very mediocre.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
Requiem For a Dream is probably No.1 for me, the last 30 minutes are just *shudders*.

Irreversible is a real endurance test. Rape is a pretty disturbing subject and when you have an 8 minute, one-shot rape scene with the camera completely motionless, it's very hard not to skin ahead. The fire extinguisher still makes me cringe a little bit. If you're not too squeamish, I'd highly recommend. It's pretty great.

Funny Games is disturbing in a very different type of way. Seeing the villains basically being Gods, deciding whatever happens to the family, with the family having basically no chance of escape or survival, is a very disturbing cinema experience.
You mentioned every movie I would add to this list. I couldn't sleep, eat or live for a week after watching Irreversible. Funny Games makes my body totally tighten and I've never seen Requiem... on purpose.

Already gave my number one vote but a couple honorable mentions would be Our Children and Sweet Movie. The former was pure psychological torment to endure as it combined mental illness with filicide in a way where you are helpless to watch the unthinkable. The latter was a truly horrible combination of senseless surrealism and a full display of the most taboo of subject matters possible so your brain doesnt know what to do with it other then want to puke and burn it in a rage. And Antichrist is a rough watch and a downer. But still not quite the level of Irreversible to me.

Whoever hasn't seen Requim for a dream go watch it it's disturbing but not in a real sick way more like really really thought provoking way, Ellen Burstyn is unbelievable not the kind of film you'll have to watch behind the covers put it that way. I've never been able to get hold of irreversible for some reason. Martyrs was highly disturbing and Funny games that I've both seen mentioned on here. Another one that is popular among movie fans is Last house on the left, not distrurbing to me both versions were simply terrible films, same can be said for cannibal holocaust.

Werner Herzog's Aguirre wrath of God really disturbs me for some reason I just think Klaus Kinski in general is a very disturbing actor to be honest, really great film too glad to see it's 8/10 on IMDb . Also Dogtooth was rather disturbing it's the silent scenes in the movie that amp it up for me similar to funny games.

That's why I haven't seen this.
What's wrong with two people who love each other kissing? Would you feel the same if it was 2 women? They're kissing, not dismembering each other so I'm not sure I understand.

Werner Herzog's Aguirre wrath of God really disturbs me for some reason I just think Klaus Kinski in general is a very disturbing actor to be honest, really great film too glad to see it's 8/10 on IMDb.
It does have an odd, dreamlike atmosphere. I think the music plays a part in that effect too. I enjoyed all of Kinski's films with Herzog, Fitzcarraldo being my favourite.

The question for me here is whether I've been more disturbed by depictions of reality or unreality over the years. I feel like it's the latter. The Entity (1982) bothered me a lot, playing on the age-old fear of the unknown.

Reading some of the comments above I was also thinking about Tim Roth's The War Zone (1999). Brave and unflinching film I think but didn't disturb me the same.

I did an entire thread on this subject...coming in at #1 was The Passion of the Christ.
Well that does have its moments.

I've never seen it, but I have had people suggest subtly that if someone decides to watch Bumfights: A Cause for Concern (2002) it makes them a bad person in some way. One of the only films that I could say that about.

However, as I have mentioned previously, I have had someone almost punch me for making them watch Irreversible (2002), and Noé has gone on record as saying that the film is intentionally manipulative.

Conversely, I think that The Grave of Fireflies (1988) is far more manipulative in certain respects. Oh, and I cannot forget the unspeakable hate people have for Salò (1975), which is oddly ironic IMHO. That said, I completely understand the reasons why.

I've never seen it, but I have had people suggest subtly that if someone decides to watch Bumfights: A Cause for Concern (2002) it makes them a bad person in some way. One of the only films that I could say that about.

However, as I have mentioned previously, I have had someone almost punch me for making them watch Irreversible (2002), and Noé has gone on record as saying that the film is intentionally manipulative.

Conversely, I think that The Grave of Fireflies (1988) is far more manipulative in certain respects. Oh, and I cannot forget the unspeakable hate people have for Salò (1975), which is oddly ironic IMHO. That said, I completely understand the reasons why.
Yeah that's pretty normal, I think. People will judge you for the movies you watch and they will certainly judge you when you encourage them to watch a movie out of their comfort zone.
Also you will get the people who dont really understand what you can take. My husband doesnt want me to watch Salo because he thinks it will completely freak me out. Maybe it will, maybe it wont. That in itself is not a big issue for me because I dont want to see kids doing the kinds of things they're forced to do.

Hope that all makes sense. inrteresting topic.

And just looked up bumfights because I hadnt heard of it. I dont think I would like to see this, but I wouldnt judge you for checking it out. If it's teens ridiculing homeless people or making them a spectacle that would upset me. if it's handled sensitively and as a straight out doco, probably a different pov.

The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a great one.

Love it