High Noon 1952

→ in
Tools    

High Noon 1952 directed by fred Zinnerman Starring gary cooper, Grace kelly, Lon Cheney jnr, Lloyd bridges
This Western classic opens with the famous cowboy song ‘Don’t Foresake me Oh My Darling’ sung by Tex Ritter
and in many ways it tells the same tale as the movie - how love can overcome anything but this is only a subplot of
a typican goodie and badddie tale set in a sleepy town that is about to be woken up again.
Marshall Kane played by Cooper is due to throw in his badge on the day he gets married but as he and his new wife
(Grace kelly) are about to leave he recieves a message that one Frank Miller has ben released from prison and is
on his way to the town. 3 of his gand are waiting at the railway station on the edge of town and Miller is wanting pay back
for the death sentence he received courtesy of The Judge and Kane. The train is due at Noon. So there we
have it - the rest of the movie builds the tension as time ticks away towards noon - Kane moral sense of justice and stubborness
dictates his staying to confront the impending gunfight and his new wife isn’t that sympathetic.
The film contrasts this goodness in Kane with the other side of human character - the cowardice, the fearful
the do nothings, and then there are the bullies and the macho men.
again I like recalling scenes to help you get a picture in your mind of the movie’s quality.
The first is Kane in the church listening to the congregation discussing the wrongs and rights of handing out justice
Second Kane with Howe ,the previous Marshall played by Lon Cheney Jnr when Howe talks about public apathy
towards law and Order and the politics involved and advises Kane to leave.
and third Kane ex lover describibg what love for a man means to kelly, Kane’s new wife.
Zinnerman directs the final scenes with precision - the music builds tension as the time draws near -
everyone is waiting - in the bar, in the church, at the station and the deserted streets, the empty rail track
Everything is ready for the main event - it’s amagical Hollywood moment
As for the gunfight - no spoilers - Just get to watch it - only 80 minutes but possibly the greatest
western of all time. Winner of 4 Oscars Cooper for Best actor This is No 92 in My Top 100 films of all time

DC Movie and Show fanatic
How did you come across this movie? It was recommended to me by an old film teacher. May have to check it out now....especially if it made the top 100 films for you!

Thanks for the personal review, can understand why you appreciate it the mix of characters and development, will have to watch. I've been saving The Shooting with Jack Nicholson to watch with my friend who loves westerns.

[I know sometimes when you copy from one program to another it messes up the format, so did a quick find and replace in word to join the paragraphs and auto-spell corrected:]

High Noon 1952 directed by Fred Zimmerman starring Gary cooper, Grace Kelly, Lon Cheney Jnr, Lloyd bridges. This Western classic opens with the famous cowboy song ‘Don’t Forsake me Oh My Darling’ sung by Tex Ritter and in many ways it tells the same tale as the movie - how love can overcome anything but this is only a subplot of a typical goodie and baddie tale set in a sleepy town that is about to be woken up again.

Marshall Kane played by Cooper is due to throw in his badge on the day he gets married but as he and his new wife (Grace Kelly) are about to leave he receives a message that one Frank Miller has ben released from prison and is on his way to the town. 3 of his gang are waiting at the railway station on the edge of town and Miller is wanting pay back for the death sentence he received courtesy of The Judge and Kane. The train is due at Noon. So there we have it - the rest of the movie builds the tension as time ticks away towards noon - Kane moral sense of justice and stubbornness dictates his staying to confront the impending gunfight and his new wife isn’t that sympathetic.

The film contrasts this goodness in Kane with the other side of human character - the cowardice, the fearful the do nothings, and then there are the bullies and the macho men. Again I like recalling scenes to help you get a picture in your mind of the movie’s quality. The first is Kane in the church listening to the congregation discussing the wrongs and rights of handing out justice. Second Kane with Howe, the previous Marshall played by Lon Cheney Jnr when Howe talks about public apathy towards law and Order and the politics involved and advises Kane to leave. And third Kane’s ex-lover describing what love for a man means to Kelly, Kane’s new wife.

Zimmerman directs the final scenes with precision - the music builds tension as the time draws near - everyone is waiting - in the bar, in the church, at the station and the deserted streets, the empty rail track.

Everything is ready for the main event - it’s a magical Hollywood moment.

As for the gunfight - no spoilers - just got to watch it - only 80 minutes but possibly the greatest western of all time. Winner of 4 Oscars Cooper for Best actor, this is No. 92 in my top 100 films of all time.