Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Running On Empty

Simple yet very solid. An interesting twist on a coming of age film since normally they are about finding your identity something that is basically impossible for Michael seeing as he has to reinvent himself constantly. As noted in the film he was understandably distant, guarded and wouldn't commit to anything. It's interesting watching him try to grapple with all of this and the family despite their crimes are completely sympathetic and great with him making it seem like an actual tough choice between his family and his own life. River Phoenix was very good, personally i'd say Christine Lahti was just as good as him. The romance worked alot more than i thought it would too, there was some very touching moments the dance/party scene in particular. Good film.

+

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Tarzan The Ape Man (W.S. Van Dyke, 1932)

Decent enough proto-Spiderman adventure

Unregistered User
Here's some other good ones...
-Nuts in May (youtube!)
-All or Nothing
-Meantime
-Vera Drake
-Happy-Go-Lucky
-Secret & Lies
-Hard Labour (TV short)
-Career Girls

Seen most of these.
Have you seen Bleak Moments? Looks decent.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton

'

(Chris Smith)

A look inside the mind of someone who disappeared to become someone else. The lengths actors go for certain roles can sometimes be damaging to the body. Look at what Christian Bale does routinely for the roles he takes on. Here, Jim Carrey does something similar, yet it's not his body that's changing, it's his complete persona.

Jim & Andy was shot on the set of Man on the Moon and showed the lengths Carrey went to to become Andy Kaufman. He was so engrossed in the persona that Andy Kaufman and Jim Carrey had different trailers on set. Here's the thing about that though; Jim Carrey was never on set, it was always Andy Kaufman. So that trailer was never used. Watching the film, which is footage from the set and a one on one interview with a bearded and clearly depressed Jim Carrey. He talks about not being you and what does it mean to be someone. Deep thought provoking stuff in his mind, maybe some random mumblings of an old man to others.

Like Carrey or not...this is interesting stuff. Family members of Andy came on set and felt like they were talking to Andy one last time. The difficulties that "Andy" put people through on set I can only imagine. Kaufman was a prankster and Carrey does this on set throughout the film. Things go even further when Carrey becomes Tony Clifton. Now we have Carrey, being Kaufman who is also being Clifton. Three separate people in his mind.

In no way did I ever think this has to do with Carrey's ego. I feel like he put a lot on the line to become Andy off screen, to the point of damage to his personal mental well being. Did the stuff he did with Jerry Lawler go a bit too far? Probably. Life imitated art in that section. Would I have liked to have seen more people on the documentary give their insight? Of course, what did others think of his 'becoming Andy' on set? Who knows, this film is only about Jim and Andy.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
I want to see Jim and Andy but I also feel like I need to see Man in the Moon first in order to fully appreciate it. Netflix is weird like that when it'll have a behind-the-scenes documentary for a movie but not the movie itself (as was the case with The Island of Dr. Moreau).

Last movie I watched...

M. Butterfly -

stupid f*cking white man

I want to see Jim and Andy but I also feel like I need to see Man in the Moon first in order to fully appreciate it. Netflix is weird like that when it'll have a behind-the-scenes documentary for a movie but not the movie itself (as was the case with The Island of Dr. Moreau).

Last movie I watched...

M. Butterfly -

stupid f*cking white man

I alwasys loved Man In The Moon. I have seen it a couple times but it has been years. I will check out the doc soon.

Tarzan Finds A Son! (Richard Thorpe, 1939)
+
Aka - Spiderman TNG: Tug Of Boy

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Last movie I watched...

M. Butterfly -

stupid f*cking white man
I can easily see people thinking Carrey is an a-hole from this.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I watched both these films with my girlfriend since we wouldn't be able to see each other on Thanksgiving. Both of us really only wanted to see Coco, but we went ahead and saw another as well. The plan was to see Murder on the Orient Express, but even though it was advertised on the website, it wasn't actually playing on the theater, so, we saw "Wonder," which was probably a better film anyways.

I love Pixar when its doing inspired animated fare and I think Coco is a feather in their cap, I liked it quite a bit.

Wonder was good too! Although it played out in a similar way as many "tear-jerk" dramas, it also had a charm and humor that allowed it to reach beyond that.

FUN FACT: My girlfriend, who cried from Beauty and the Beast ,B]Logan[/b], Rogue One, and now, Coco, did not cry while watching Wonder. Blew my mind!

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond – Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton

'

(Chris Smith)

In no way did I ever think this has to do with Carrey's ego. I feel like he put a lot on the line to become Andy off screen, to the point of damage to his personal mental well being. Did the stuff he did with Jerry Lawler go a bit too far? Probably. Life imitated art in that section. Would I have liked to have seen more people on the documentary give their insight? Of course, what did others think of his 'becoming Andy' on set? Who knows, this film is only about Jim and Andy.
I can see that. Parts just appeared like he kept pushing, due to having the "I'm Andy" blank check. It seemed that he embellished at times when he could have turned it down.

Either way, it really seemed to have a major effect on his life.