Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Going on my watchlist, TN. thanks for heads-up. Sounds interesting.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017, Luc Besson)

Another piece of style-over-substance, eye-popping, visual-candy extravaganza from Luc Besson - who, frankly, I'm not a very big fan of.
The visual aspect was very impressive, and some of the action was fun but unfortunately that's where the good things end. Aside from the utterly vacuous, cliche-ridden mess of a story and unfunny dialogue, there was a glaring lack of interesting, charismatic characters - the two lead ones were just bland (no chemistry whatsoever).

Overall, not totally worthless but not the best way to spend 137 minutes of your life, either.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)

The Persian language arthouse vampire movie that somehow manages to out-Jarmusch Jim Jarmusch.

A few parts drag a little, but overall this was pretty great. I especially liked the part where the girl and Arash meet and she takes him home and plays White Lies' Death. The soundtrack was good in general and it looks stunning.

I very much enjoyed that movie. Shame her latest has had such bad reviews.

The Ascent (1977)

Russian WWII art film from the seventies by a Russian filmmaker. Visually stunning, powerful performances, an incredible story, this movie was outstanding.

My Man Godfrey (Gregory La Cava, 1936)

Pretty good for a film that's full of Bullocks

“I was cured, all right!”
13 Assassins

Loved the battle, couldn't care less about everything else. To me it was: a half hour shallow misery fest to get us to hate the main villain, followed by 20 minutes of dull talking scenes then a half hour of a lifeless journey with bad humour and absolutely no tension in the scenes that were supposed to be tense, then 40 minutes of a great battle. Starting to think Miike isn't for me, or at least that i'll never like all of one of his films.

+
Sorry to hear you didn't liked Camo. I found it a solid remake. But the original is so much better. Eiichi Kudô camework is God's level for a 1963 movie. As a traditional jidaigeki the film is more about the oppression of the weak by those in authority, a very commom thing during the The Tokugawa Shogunate. The original was the first film of the "Samurai Revolution Trilogy" by Eiichi Kudô. 13 Assassins It's not my favorite of the trilogy but i really like this film. Can I recommend you some Takashi Miike films? This remake (and the Harakiri remake too) are commercial works that he had done. Allow me to recommend some of his original/autoral works:
Ichi: The Killer (based on manga)
Dead or Alive
Audition
Fudoh: The New Generation (based on manga)
Agitator (Solid yakuza flick without Miike's bloody extravaganza)

I'll throw in a recommendation for The Bird People in China on top of those ones.
It's a great film this one but it's a very different Miike film.
Miike was unrecognizable behind the cameras. He has always been a versatile director. I wanted to recommend the works that made him famous first. But definelly a great film this one.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)

I watched this before and still feel the same way. My wife saw someone on a morning show promoting Golden Shower so she told me to put it on the watchlist. I figured she should see the first one. I just think it's very entertaining, better than most of the action blockbusters that come out. I like the cast, and I was never a Colin Firth fan before, but now I am. The blade runner villain girl is very hot, and I liked Sammy Jackson as well. Some good humor and a few nice soundtrack choices top it off. I'm expecting to not like the sequel as much.

Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)

A couple on vacation in Spain go to an island where the children are killing off all the adults. I've always been creeped out by evil kids, and the kids in this movie were no exception. Besides being creepy, it's a bit unsettling and has a great ending. The beginning during the opening credits seemed out of place to me, showing documentary type footage of kids suffering during wars and other horrible events. It was also hard for me not to be bothered by the couple's constant stupidity. Worst of all, the movie is ridiculously slow.

Imagine that you're watching a Crime/Drama with gang wars and a lot of tension and then this happens:

Just in Bollywood you can see such a thing.
Really liked some characters and plot wise it was ok but the main problem was the fast paced edit and the stupid action scenes. And there's quite a lot of this scenes. It ruined the film unfortunally.

Who Can Kill a Child? (1976)

Shame you didn't like it more but not entirely surprised tbh.
The beginning during the opening credits seemed out of place to me, showing documentary type footage of kids suffering during wars and other horrible events.
Agree with this, I think it's there to try and raise the consciousness of the normal view of children as innocents but it's unnecessary and goes on far too long anyway imo.
It was also hard for me not to be bothered by the couple's constant stupidity.
I've seen worse .... of course normal people would just gtfo but that wouldn't be a very interesting fillum would it
Worst of all, the movie is ridiculously slow.
Each to their own but I love it's pace personally, if it was less sedentary it wouldn't create the same atmosphere and to me this one is all about the atmosphere.

Unregistered User
Watched Paterson last night (inspired by the samoan lawyer), and really liked it a lot. The whole film is an ode to the poetry of the ordinary and the unquenchable human thirst for self-expression and creativity. Jarmusch opens a window into a creative mind that processes everyday events into poetic imagery, and, as the film goes on and more nuances and details are added to the mosaic of Paterson's daily routines (seemingly the same but not quite the same, really), we find that the dull repetitive "Groundhog Day-like" reality reveals more and more of its beauty once sifted through his peaceful, all-accepting vision. Adam Driver delivers a quietly understated performance in his portrayal of a “not of this world” person who prefers to take a passive contemplative position toward the world, rather than act decisively to pursue life goals. He is a bus driver and at the same time, metaphorically, the spiritual soul of Paterson NJ - wandering the city almost like a ghost, writing its chronicles.

Excellent film.

Glad you enjoyed.

Unregistered User
Spider Baby (1967) -
+
Gerald's Game (2017) -
- absolutely dreadful.
My Scientology Movie (2015) -

Aaaaaaaah! (2015) -
- makes Gerald's Game look like a masterpiece.
Straight Outta Compton - (2015)

Aaaaaaaah! (2015) -
- makes Gerald's Game look like a masterpiece.
Another fan of this piece of complete garbage I see (I gave it
purely because I like Toyah lol).
Maybe I'll pass on the opportunity for Gerald's Game if it ever comes around.

I turned off geralds game like 8 minutes in to it. Didnt look so promising

Unregistered User
Another fan of this piece of complete garbage I see (I gave it
purely because I like Toyah lol).
Maybe I'll pass on the opportunity for Gerald's Game if it ever comes around.

I honestly think its the worst thing I've ever watched.

And yeah, best skip Gerald's Game, atrociously bad.

Bad Genius

Overall i'd say this was entertaining, it also completely did my head in at times. I hated the main character (actually most of the characters), the decisions she was making, the rich kids buying a good life, etc. Understand that it's difficult avoiding those things in a film with this story but in that case i'd need the characters to be alot more compelling than they were to love it. It did do things well, the exams were alot more tense than they had any right being turning a cheating on exams story into a heist movie shouldn't have worked this well, it was funny at times and i liked Bank.

+