Great Idea / Crap Movie ?

Tools    

I'm a Big Fat Dynamo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here's one to get you thinking :

Great idea / premise for a movie that led to a crap (in your opinion) actual movie???

My vote :

League of Extraordinory Gentlemen - looked like it was gonna rock, but was rubbish

i wasgonna say the same thing

Van Helsing. When I first heard about it it sounded great but Sommers really screwed it up. Shame.

Short Time (1990)

This movie had a fun premise: a careful cop learns he has a terminal illness, and the doctors give him only a week to live. Actually, his results have been accidentally mixed-up with another patient, and he's in fine health. But thinking he is going to die any day, he decides to get killed on the job, so his ex-wife and child will get the fuller line-of-duty death benefits. He becomes fearless in chasing down criminals, walking into the most dangerous situations imaginable with nothing but calm and the hopes of actually dying a horrible and dramatic death. This turns him into a super cop. Just wait until he finds out he's in good health!

The resulting movie Short Time is OK, but doesn't really do the most with this idea that it could have. Dabney Colman stars, and he's appropriate casting I suppose, but it's a really low-budget flick with a first-time director who was destined to only work on episodes of "Walker, Texas Ranger". It's not a bad movie, but the tone isn't dark as it should be, and beyond the clever central idea it has no more ammo. In the hands of a better and more inventive filmmaker, this one could have been an all-time classic instead of a sort of diverting little movie nobody ever heard of.

Oh, well.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Villiage could have been alot better than it was.

I thought I was the only person on Earth who has seen Short Time. I always liked it and have seen it half a dozen times, though it’s no masterpiece. Fun, mindless, stuff, all the way.

I’m having a hard time thinking of movies that had promise but wound up being limp, so I’ll choose a couple of adaptations that came from amazing stories, but were still terrible. Stephen King’s The Stand and It. These are two incredible books made into TV miniseries that rank high up in the worst television shows ever made. The stories were hacked, the casting was moronic, and the special effects were cheesy. I hated them both…and let’s not forgot the ho-hum remaking of The Shining too.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Recent films......

I agree with james bond. I anticipated seeing this movie for months. Let's just say I had an upside down smile on my face as I left the theatre.

Predator vs Alien also disappointed me.

Also HellBoy and Van Helsing were utter crap.

i liked freddy vs jason but it did not meet my expectations. great concept but failed on alot of levels

Comfortably Numb
League~ You took the words right outta my mouth
I have become comfortably numb

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a great comic book. It was absoultely butchered when adapted for the screen. For those who lament it was such a wasted opportunity, read the graphic novels.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Prelude to a Kiss - a marvellous, charming, intelligent play that was turned into a simpering mugfest on celluloid.

Posession - brilliant novel that pulls together all the fine points of the Romantic Era, tells a wonderfully touching story... put on film in the sketchiest emotionless milquetoast manner imaginable.

Welcome to the human race...
Pulp Fiction, I guess. Having a series of interconnected episodes that told an interesting - if jumbled - story sounded like a great idea to me (even I've implemented it) the movie itself was a big let down. Nnnggh.