Movie about conspiracy (I think) to get Russians to eat more fast food

Tools    

I remember seeing this movie about the heads of fast food chains saying how they want Russian people to eat more fast food so they get this guy (can't remember how he plays into this) to have a reality tv show made about making fat people skinny. The goal was to get Russians to become attached to the woman who wins so that when she gets liposuction (because that was the grand prize of the reality show) and the surgery goes wrong, the Russian viewers would go crazy and embrace the idea of fat being beautiful. Once this happened in the movie, the Russian people started eating more fast food.

The main character in the movie is a Russian marketing guy who is tasked with marketing the show. He also has this love story sub-pot but I can't remember how that goes. I think he also comes across the conspiracy to get the Russian people to eat more fast food but that's also escaping me.

I believe the movie came out in the late 90s/early 2000s and is set in Russia. I don't think there are any big actors in it but I'm not sure. It's in English and I think it's an American movie.

Any help with more info or a title for this movie would really be appreciated.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I remember seeing this movie about the heads of fast food chains saying how they want Russian people to eat more fast food so they get this guy (can't remember how he plays into this) to have a reality tv show made about making fat people skinny. The goal was to get Russians to become attached to the woman who wins so that when she gets liposuction (because that was the grand prize of the reality show) and the surgery goes wrong, the Russian viewers would go crazy and embrace the idea of fat being beautiful. Once this happened in the movie, the Russian people started eating more fast food.

The main character in the movie is a Russian marketing guy who is tasked with marketing the show. He also has this love story sub-pot but I can't remember how that goes. I think he also comes across the conspiracy to get the Russian people to eat more fast food but that's also escaping me.

I believe the movie came out in the late 90s/early 2000s and is set in Russia. I don't think there are any big actors in it but I'm not sure. It's in English and I think it's an American movie.

No help from me but this sounds hilarious.

(can't quote because I'm a new member) akatemple, I came across that while searching. Not the movie but Branded looks good.

Dani8, it is funny, parody but has some cheesy love story stuff too. Good movie for sure.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Are you sure it's not Branded.

Below is the description of Branded from Wikipedia and it sounds exactly like what your describing.

Meanwhile, on a private Polynesian island, an unnamed marketing guru meets with fast food company executives to discuss a plan to make the industry profitable again. They plan to change public perceptions of beauty and "make fat the new fabulous."

Misha is hired to promote a new reality TV show, "Extreme Cosmetica", in which an overweight woman will undergo plastic surgery to become thin. After the first operation, the woman falls into a coma and the public turns against the show, as well as the glorification of thin body types. Misha becomes the scapegoat for the failed project and is swarmed by protesters before being beaten by police and arrested. Upon his release from jail, he confronts Bob; Misha has realized that the show and the woman's coma were orchestrated by fast food companies, such as "The Burger". Bob denies the accusations, claiming that such a plan would require too many resources. Misha and Bob fight and Bob has a heart attack. Feeling guilty for his role in the fate of the "Extreme Cosmetic" contestant, Misha leaves Moscow and withdraws from modern society; he believes his marketing powers are a curse.

Over the next six years, the "fat is fabulous" campaign is successful; most people are overweight and advertising images now focus on this change in perception of the ideal body type. Misha dreams that he performs the Red Heifer ritual, sacrificing a red cow and bathing in its ashes. When he wakes, he discovers that he can see strange creatures that appear to be the embodiment of marketing brand desires. They cling to people's necks and no one except for Misha can see them.

Hmm, perhaps the movie I'm thinking of is Branded. I'll need to watch it and confirm. Thanks guys!