Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Man Who Knew Too Much (Alfred Hitchcock, 1934)
+
Far from the only time Lorre has played a skunk but this time he goes so far as to even try to look like one

I saw Burn! twice, and I agree.. It's very political, but just not that engaging, even though Brando is my favorite actor...

I have the movie on VHS, but my library has "The Battle of Algiers" on DVD, and there are about 3-4 discs just for the special features, which I almost checked out last week after getting some books... Did you see the special features?
No, but I plan to. From what I see, most of the Criterion special features are available to watch on YouTube.

WAREHOUSED (ALMACENADOS) (2015)
director: Jack Zagha Kababie

This might be a turn off for a lot of movie buffs but I enjoyed it. It takes place essentially in one location: a warehouse. It's about passing the torch from a retiree to a young man. Their days training together is what is considered "getting down to business".

I can't say much more. I hate divulging all plot. The film is purposefully boring, but at the same time, it is not. It keeps you guessing, and the exaggerated time sense is often funny.

Good performances and a bit of heart went into the making of this well photographed film.

with subtitles.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Blade of the Immortal (Rating: A): Takashi Miike's 100th film is an adaptation of the Hiroaki Samura manga that would go on to be an anime as well. Takuya Kimura truly breaks from his babyface image (from his days at SMAP and Gatsby commercials and J-Dramas) as the titular immortal Manji, who after avenging his sister's death, is cursed with immortality via bloodworms from Tibet, which allow Manji to heal. 50 years after receiving his "power", he helps a young girl avenge her father's death by taking on the group responsible. A series of one-on-one battles followed by a three-on-one then an epic climactic action finale with a twist shows loads of swordfighting and slashings, impalements, and limbs chopped off. Thankfully, Miike breaks from his mold and doesn't give us over the top bloodletting, but make it more subtle. Hana Sugisaki, Sota Fukushi, Erika Toda, and Ebizo Ichikawa give out some phenomenal emotional performances in their roles as well.

Almost ranks up there with the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy as the best live-action adaptation of a manga and anime.

Wendy and Lucy

Damn, not quite sure what to say about this. So sad and infuriating while being presented in a simple way, i usually hate sad dog films because i think it's very easy to emotionally manipulate someone with them but i mean Lucy isn't even on screen for the majority of this it was about the horrible reality of homelessness more than anything. Michelle was amazing and i loved the old guy too. This didn't have the same type of atmosphere i'm used to from Kelly's other films (with the possible exception of the nighttime creepy guy scene) but it wouldn't have suited it anyway, was better the way it is. That ending . There was no way that wasn't going to be the ending i was never in doubt from the moment Lucy went missing but still man..dang. I think of it as the closest thing to a happy ending this film could get since it's obviously in the best interests of both Wendy and Lucy but it was still sad. Great stuff Kelly is defo one of my favourite working directors. I'd still say i prefer Night Moves, this would probably be second.

+

Wendy and Lucy
....Great stuff Kelly Reichardt is defo one of my favourite working directors. I'd still say i prefer Night Moves, this would probably be second.

+
Glad you liked this. Gideon just reviewed it too and thought highly of it, as did I.

I was relieved that nothing bad happens to the dog, I hate those kind of films myself, though it is sad for Wendy (Michelle Williams).
I have to agree with you that Michelle was amazing in this and so was the old guy security guard.

"the nighttime creepy guy scene"
even though nothing really happens, that was a hard scene for me to watch. I had the same reactions to Wendy and Lucy that you did and I'm definitely a big fan of director Kelly Reinhardt.

Michelle Williams is another Reinhardt movie, Certain Women (2016) Have you seen that one? I forget if you've said.

Michelle Williams is another Reinhardt movie, Certain Women (2016) Have you seen that one? I forget if you've said.
Yep one of my favourites from last year. Michelle doesn't give the best performance in that IMO, but i do think her performance was better than her Manchester By The Sea performance.

Lore

Love the premise. Have always been really interested in how the German people felt and reacted when the war was coming to an end; all of your enemies are storming your towns and cities and this isn't like say the German Invasion of France when the war was still ongoing and the Germans needed to keep the French happy somewhat to stop the French Resistance from getting too large. This was the end of the war Germany is surrendering it's just a matter of time and the country will be punished, both formally by international laws and by the invading troops who don't have to hold back at all. Maybe the most powerful scene to me was the mother in utter despair over The Fuhrer's death, she could love or hate Hitler that's irrelevent it's the implications that brings that must have been a punch in the gut to so many in the country. Maybe they went a little over the top with the old woman and her "We broke his heart. He loved us so much!" at the Hitler painting, i nearly burst out laughing at that, still there was obviously staunch supporters of Hitler including people who weren't particularly political but had bought into his cult of personality. Easy to understand considering how much Germany prospered from Hitler taking over until the start of the war, plus she was obviously insane. Was kind of confused why they were so focused on the Americans rather than the Soviet's who did the lions share of the war winning, but then i remembered this was South Germany where the Americans and Brits came through while the Soviets came from the East, that was a genuine annoyance of mine for a while until i remembered that.

My favourite thing was the locations and the way it was filmed. End of war Berlin is focused on too much IMO in media, even Seelow is only used as the lead up to Berlin usually. Was so glad when this was all set in South Germany, love the woods and countryside it is a beautiful Country and we see the ugly ruins it has been left in, this actually reminded me of Hansel & Gretel i'm guessing that's my limited exposure to German media and the fact that it was literally a journey through the woods to grandmothers house (realized just before i posted this that grandmothers house is Little Red Riding Hood but i'm leaving it in anyway haha).

I don't think i ever felt the emotional weight that i should have; i fully recognized this as a horrific and depressing situation but outside of that i wasn't swept up by it. Dunno think there can be such a thing as too much bleakness to the point that you end up desensitised and end up purely observing it rather than feeling it, think that's what happened to me. Well except for the baby but that's a given. The other thing was by the time Tomas turned up i kind of felt like i had had enough. Nothing was wrong with Tomas i liked the actor and the character was fine, it's just now these nazi kids need to head on face a jew and all of their creepy staring at each other, damn it really tired me out which may have been the intention. The twist was...whatever. Don't think it added much either way, it obviously forced Lore to confront her feelings and views but it was introduced a little too late for anything meaningful to be drawn from it IMO. Anyway i liked a fair amount of this and i'd at least call it a good film despite some stuff not working for me.

-

Glad you at least got something out of it mon ami, it is very bleak and can be quite draining but that's one of the things I liked about it and as you say it's nice that it's set in rural Germany rather than any of the major towns.

edit: apologies to those that mistakenly repped this post, I inadvertently deleted the quote code denoting it was Camo's watch not mine, just post any auld drivel if you want me to give your rep back

Lore

-
Glad you at least got something out of it mon ami, It is very bleak and can be quite draining but that's one of the things I liked about it and as you say it's nice that it's set in rural Germany rather than any of the major towns.
I liked it a fair amount and would call it a good film. It was also perfect for me right now as i've been reading about WWII. Just think i watched Wendy and Lucy (also a draining film but in a different way) immediately before it so it kind of exhausted me.

Seen this movie a million times. One of the best movies ever made.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Seen this movie a million times. One of the best movies ever made.
Wow... I might have to give this movie another chance... My DVR is running out of space, so I've been deleting movies I can't get into within 15 minutes.

Wow... I might have to give this movie another chance... My DVR is running out of space, so I've been deleting movies I can't get into within 15 minutes.
It’s not for everyone. At one time I thought I would live in Spain & I’ve always wanted to visit Madrid. The little girl is exquisite. Considered to be Saura’s best film. Definitely his biggest success.

Killing Bono (Nick Hamm, 2011)
+
Being frontsperson of the biggest band to never make it would likely be enough to push anyone over the edge.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Loved it. But James Franco’s acting drags it a little down. Did not find him convincing.

8/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It’s not for everyone. At one time I thought I would live in Spain & I’ve always wanted to visit Madrid. The little girl is exquisite. Considered to be Saura’s best film. Definitely his biggest success.
When you say "it's not for everyone" can you elaborate? Is the pace slow?

The truth is in here
The Eternal Jew

I don't even know what to say... This is a fascinating movie, but in the most horrible, terrifying sense. The movie reaches very far to try and convince you how the jews are ruining society, for example claiming that people in ghettos are just rich people in disguise, and one particularly manipulative moment is one where the camera pans across several smiling children trying to make them look evil. But all I can see are a couple of innocent smiling children. It gets worse and worse, and you have a strong stomach if you're not at least a little bit sickened when the movie talks about jews like a plague; nothing more than an epidemic rat.
To a sane mind this is of course only emotional and factual distortion to try and demean a group of people, but for those who are already far down deep to believe literally anything that they are told, it's a scarily effective propaganda piece. Unlike The Red Menace, which was hilarious in its unsublety, there is nothing really all that funny this time. The times I let out a shocked chuckle, it was of disbelief and deep sadness. The narrator sounds absolutely deadly serious, you can tell he think he's doing a great cause, a means of "improving" lives for Aryans. And the scariest thing is, it's not even presented as poorly as you'd think. For example, I do think that the process of Kosher slaughtering is cruel and unsound. But you have to remember they are taking real-life footage, only twisting the context and meaning of it to suit their own agenda.
This is a very important documentary, for the reason that it gives you a very good idea of what people were being told to believe, and just how much conviction was put into forcing upon these hateful ideals.
Unpleasant to watch, but if you're interested in history and wonder how such evil in the world is possible, by all means... good luck.

On a thematic level, this is an obvious 1. But from a historical perspective, and how fascinated I was (even if was because I couldn't believe what I was hearing), it's a 2. This is one of the most frightening movies ever made, even the posters are enough to send a chill down my spine.